want to work for the Bush administration? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2005, 01:37 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Okay fine, let's just say "Democrats tend to be more hostile towards religion." Is that rhetoric politically correct enough for you now?

Old 10-14-2005, 02:02 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:20 PM

What evidence do you have (other than your opinion) that Chuck Schumer is a "Christophobe" ?

I'm a Democrat who is not hostile toward religion, so there's one for you

Old 10-14-2005, 02:09 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I'm a Democrat who is not hostile toward religion, so there's one for you

but don't you see?

if you support the separation of church and state, you are hostile to religion and assaulting the religious freedoms of those who wish to live in a theocracy.

you've either accepted Christ -- and therefore vote republican, unless it's for that Giuliani -- or rejected Christ, and therefore are, by definition, a christophobe.

there is no in between.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:34 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Okay fine, let's just say "Democrats tend to be more hostile towards religion." Is that rhetoric politically correct enough for you now?
it's not about political correctness, it's about the fact that whatever level of persecution or prejudice christians may be convinced they encounter is absolutely nothing in comparison to the level of persecution faced by people of many other faiths. the idea that we need a special phrase to describe prejudice against christians just makes me laugh, and not for reasons of political correctness.

and as for being "hostile towards religion" i would say whether democrats or republicans are more hostile to religion depends on the religion in question. as a general rule, while both major parties have engaged in far too much islamophobic rhetoric, the republicans are generally more guilty of this than their democratic counterparts. i don't accept the premise that either main party is hostile to christianity though, you only have to look at the fact that almost every major political figure has a tendency to finish his or her speeches with "god bless america" to know that.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
"Christophobes?" I really have heard it all now -- there's just so much bigotry against you Christians isn't there? I mean they won't let you erect monuments to the Ten Commandments and they even expect you to provide scientific justification for the teaching of intelligent design in schools. It's so hard being a Christian, no? And there was silly old me thinking that people of other religious faiths, such as Islam, might be the ones facing real prejudice and bigotry, y'know like having their places of worship burned down or being assaulted in the street for wearing religious clothing or being called terrorists or terrorist sympathisers.
The use of the term "Christophobes" is too outrageous to promote civil discussion - and effectively negated anything else of substance in the post.

But, with respect to the concept of bigotry, who should be able to define if a group has or has not been the target of bigotry (or there affects thereof)? Is there an objective standard? Is it strictly defined by the targeted group?

How many posts here, for example, exclaiming hatred for [insert fundamentalist Christian] will occur before you could entertain the notion of bigotry?
Old 10-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

How many posts here, for example, exclaiming hatred for [insert fundamentalist Christian] will occur before you could entertain the notion of bigotry?

bemoaning the excessive influence of "fundamentalist christians" in the political processes of a secular government is a looooong way from hatred.

in fact, the efforts to maintain the boundaries between church and state is an act of love for the religions -- for it is only in a secular society that one can become the fundamentalist christian or muslim or atheist that one wishes.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
bemoaning the excessive influence of "fundamentalist christians" in the political processes of a secular government is a looooong way from hatred.
I fully understand and agree with your statement. But, unlike your post (you argue with passion, but not hatred), not all posts deal with "what they do" and turn to "who they are".
Old 10-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I fully understand and agree with your statement. But, unlike your post (you argue with passion, but not hatred), not all posts deal with "what they do" and turn to "who they are".

fair distinction.

and i appreciate the nice words. thank you.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
It's puzzling that the biggest Christophobes in the Democratic Party - especially Chuck Schumer -
This almost sounds anti- Semitic?

It is very common for members of the Jewish faith to be concerned with overt Christianity applied in law.

This country does not have a good history with tolerance to Jewish Americans.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:16 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:20 AM
Where does
Old 10-15-2005, 01:29 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:20 AM
Quote:
Religion appears to play a greater part in public life in recent years in America, this is not a trend seen in Europe. Blair is known to be a devout Christian but he is an exception.

I am reminded of the debate between the Vice President and Edwards - when Cheney mentioned that they had never met before the debate, Edwards reminded him that they had met a Senate prayer meeting.

Far from being hostile towards religion, or Christophobes, it appears that prominent Democrat politicians feel the need to prove they are as 'devout' as Republicans, by attending prayer meetings, Christian services, being respectful to Christianity (with the notable exception of the abortion issue) and the like. Maybe they have figured out that it is politically correct to get be seen to be observant. Oh I forgot, we can only use the 'politically correct' shiboleth when hectoring the left.

It would be difficult to see an atheist being elected US president any time soon, but this has already happened in some North European countries.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:33 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

I would have no moral qualms about faking faith to get elected. Give the people what they want so to speak.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:36 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I would have no moral qualms about faking faith to get elected.
And I am sure that many have done. To be fair to Blair, his religion seems genuine enough, as far from being a help to those seeking political office in the UK, wearing one's faith on one's sleeve is probably a drawback.

But watch out with that faking faith to get elected strategy, someone could dig out your previous posts on here when you run for Aussie PM... .
Old 10-15-2005, 01:52 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Hmm a foreign born PM
Old 10-19-2005, 02:44 AM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:20 PM
just sneaking in here from other thread parts unknown

Loved the job application

have fun with this: http://www.yeeguy.com/freefall/