WalMart, The High Cost Of Low Price - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:22 PM
WalMart, The High Cost Of Low Price

Has anyone seen this movie? It is by the director of Outfoxed. You can find out more about it on their web site. I got an e-mail about it a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't make the screening. Too bad they aren't playing it in mainstream theaters

http://www.walmartmovie.com/about.php

"WAL-MART: THE HIGH COST OF LOW PRICE is a feature length documentary that uncovers a retail giant's assault on families and American values.

The film dives into the deeply personal stories and everyday lives of families and communities struggling to fight a goliath. A working mother is forced to turn to public assistance to provide healthcare for her two small children. A Missouri family loses its business after Wal-Mart is given over $2 million to open its doors down the road. A mayor struggles to equip his first responders after Wal-Mart pulls out and relocates just outside the city limits. A community in California unites, takes on the giant, and wins!

Producer/Director Robert Greenwald and Brave New Films take you on an extraordinary journey that will change the way you think, feel -- and shop.

Old 11-22-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/200...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy - Ten Commandments for Wal-Mart

"Wal-Mart sells itself as the all-American company, but it violates American family values every single day. Wal-Mart refuses to sell magazines, books, or CDs that it believes will offend the values of average Americans. But what Wal-Mart's leaders can't seem to grasp is that average Americans are offended by its shameful tactics to boost profits at the expense of the families of hard-working men and women.

Last week I was happy to join Robert Greenwald to discuss his new documentary, "Wal-Mart: the High Cost of Low Price". I applaud his efforts and the brave workers in the film who tell their stories. And I applaud the community groups and religious leaders who are promoting awareness of Wal-Mart's abuses by showing this important film in neighborhoods and houses of worship throughout the country.

This is not just a Congressional fight. The American people are also demanding accountability. Wal-Mart has forced employees to work overtime without pay. They have hired professional union busters to keep employees from having a voice at work. They have refused to provide affordable health care, while instructing workers to apply for Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program. They have refused to promote women and people of color. They have violated child labor laws by requiring kids to use dangerous equipment. And they have used predatory pricing practices to put small companies out of business.

Surely, the largest company in the world, which made more than $10 billion in profits last year, can do better by its workers, better by our communities, and better for the American taxpayer."

Old 11-22-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.thenewstribune.com/soundl...-4842929c.html

"Of all the damning claims of corporate callousness shown in director Robert Greenwald’s scathing new documentary, “Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price,” perhaps the most chilling is a “game” that a former employee says company executives used to play.

The suits would drive through the main drag of a downtown before the opening of a new Wal-Mart and predict how many months it would take before mom-and-pop stores would shutter their doors.

“We’d say, ‘Six months, three months, six months,’” Weldon Nicholson, a manager for 17 years, says in the documentary, which was released on DVD last week and is showing in screenings around the country. (Showings are scheduled for Monday in Yelm and Nov. 30 in University Place. Visit www.walmartmovie.com more information and other locations.)

Then, Greenwald punctuates the ex-employee’s point by playing Bruce Springsteen’s mournful version of “This Land Is Your Land” over a series of shots of deserted downtowns.

“If you look at (Nicholson’s) face and his body language and hear him talk onscreen, you’ll see that this is a man whose soul has been affected by his time at Wal-Mart,” Greenwald, 61, says in a recent phone interview from his Los Angeles office. “He doesn’t want others to fall into the trap. That’s what this film is all about.”
Old 11-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Ah, the new domestic enemy: Walmart

And the "assult on families and American values" - what a load of BS.

This union sponsored movie is just another effort to perpetuate the mythology of the evil Walmart - and released in time to hurt holiday sales
Old 11-22-2005, 05:07 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Well these are the fact citations from the movie's web site.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/facts.php

I refuse to shop at Wal Mart, I've heard and read enough about them ( facts, not mythology) to make up my own mind.

Like Michael Moore and Morgan Spurlock, Greenwald deals in documentary as agitprop. Unlike Moore and Spurlock, he substitutes earnestness for outrageous humor. His previous release, “Outfoxed,” lifted the veil on the supposed “fair and balanced” claim of Fox News. His new documentary on Wal-Mart culls all of the previous reports of Wal-Mart’s practices – many detailed in lawsuits – and adds a bevy of interviews with former employees and small-business owners forced out by what he claims is corporate hegemony.

In the two-hour film, Greenwald interviews workers who tell about how they cannot live on the average annual income of $14,000, how the company’s health insurance is so costly that most employees file for public assistance, how Wal-Mart crushes any union activities, how it discriminates based on race and gender, how it uses cheap foreign labor with awful working conditions, how it coerces employees into working unpaid overtime, how communities have banded together to try to stop Wal-Mart from opening new franchises.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:20 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:22 AM
hehe Walmart and the music industry

the new Madonna album Confesions on a Dance Floor

Walmart buys a million from record company for a reduced price of $7,25 to $7,50 per CD

charges the small shops $9,72 retail price (wholesale)
while buying directly from the record company its $11,52 (wholesale)

the suggested retail list price according to amazon is $18,98 but currently special for $10,99

go figure.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I refuse to shop at Wal Mart, I've heard and read enough about them ( facts, not mythology) to make up my own mind.
Selective presentation of facts can make Walmart look like either a paradise or a hell. Unions have been working hard over the years to press the "hell" case.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:29 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

my instinct tells me it's paradise for the Walton family, hell or something like it for others

btw the DVD is available on the movie's web site for only 12.95-I'd rather give my money to them than to Wal Mart any day of the week..
Old 11-22-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:22 PM
I hate Walmart.

They are lousy stores to shop in, often have shoddy merchandise, and rarely have the items they advertise actually in stock.

I haven't shopped there in years. If only Walmart has something I want...well, I don't need it that bad.

Plus I don't like their "family friendly" ideas as they do not reflect my idea of what is family friendly.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm most offended by the parking lots the size of Connecticut.

but i suppose all that space is needed for the fat people who need fat SUVs to get fat, over processed, corn syrup filled, partially hydrogenated food products in bulk.

it is for the children, after all.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

We shop at Wal-Mart...it tends to be much cheaper than the other two options around here (both chains, so I hardly feel like I'm putting Mom & Pop out of business).
Old 11-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #12
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
We shop at Wal-Mart...it tends to be much cheaper than the other two options around here (both chains, so I hardly feel like I'm putting Mom & Pop out of business).
Same here.

When you're a broke college student and a box of cereal that costs $5 at the local grocery store is only $2.98 at Walmart, where are you going to buy your cereal?

I'm all for supporting unions and the workers--I've worked enough customer service/retail in my lifetime to know what they're going through--but it all boils down to those low prices. People are going to shop where their money stretches the most, and it happens to be Walmart. I don't like it either, but that's life.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:55 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I hate Walmart. Hideous store, ugly things inside, full of people with their obnoxious, screaming children running around like it's a theme park, the nasty McDonald's smack in the middle, it's just gross.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:56 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by aislinn

Same here.

When you're a broke college student and a box of cereal that costs $5 at the local grocery store is only $2.98 at Walmart, where are you going to buy your cereal?

I'm all for supporting unions and the workers--I've worked enough customer service/retail in my lifetime to know what they're going through--but it all boils down to those low prices. People are going to shop where their money stretches the most, and it happens to be Walmart. I don't like it either, but that's life.

i totally understand this. it's folly to not go where the lower prices are (though i do go out of my way to support my local merchants, but that's easy because i live in an urban neighborhood with a traditional High Street that's all small businesses within a pleasurable walking distance).

so, this begs a question: is it in society's best interests to level the playing field; i.e., to prevent a company from becoming so big and powerful that they can buy everything at such bulk prices, resulting in lower cost to the consumer, and essentially destroying the competition? should the government prevent a company from being able to do this?

i think that one of the major ironies of late capitalism is that we actually have less choice. or false choice. if WalMart can put everyone else out of business, then they can control what we buy. how many Starbucks do we need? how many Wal-Marts do we need? what happens to the kid who can't get a Sheryl Crowe album because she bashes WalMart in her lyrics if WalMart is the only retail outlet available for her to purchase music? also, does Wal-Mart's ubiquity and penchant for censorship -- they refused to carry the Daily Show's book because it had mock naked pictures of the Supreme Court -- present a violation of the first Amendment *if* we have no options but to buy at WalMart?

also, is there something aesthetically and culturally advantageous to preserving a merchant class? one of the great joys i have is going into independent bookstores where the clerks actually know a great deal about books, and they can order you anything you could possibly want. is this kind of experience that's nearly impossible at Borders or Barns & Noble worth protecting? and if so, how? aesthetically speaking, i abhor how simply ugly strip mall America looks. it's grotesque ... all neon and boxes and SUV filled and traffic congested. why does such a beautiful country care so little about it's built environment?

just thougths.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:57 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Selective presentation of facts can make Walmart look like either a paradise or a hell. Unions have been working hard over the years to press the "hell" case.
I've worked with WalMart from 2 different industries, neither of them through a union, and I can tell you firsthand they are hell.