WalMart, The High Cost Of Low Price - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2005, 11:48 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal
(ps- sorry for asking stupid questions, I know this isn't the most intellectually stimulating conversation for the others of you, but I actually learn crap from these conversations...and children are the future...so...)
No worries. But I have to sleep, so I'll have to answer the rest of this later. Good night all.

Melon

Old 11-22-2005, 11:50 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

alright then. have fun "sleeping," I should try this.

good night.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:51 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Common misconception. There are many products that they sell at price or less to suck consumers in, they will make money in returns and from the witholding of fees like stated above. I've seen many instances first hand. It's the people behind the big blue curtain that they fuck over.
I know they sell things at cost to lure in customers, but that's not how Sam Walton got his business off the ground and turned it into the "evil empire". His essential plan was, sell cheap, sell more. The more volume, the more profits.

I worked for retail and grocery stores that actually sold some things at less than cost to lure people in, it's very common to do so. Maybe Wal Mart does this more often, I wouldn't be surprised. One honest question, why can't they sell a product for whatever the hell they want to sell it for? They paid the cost for it. Perhaps I am missing the larger point.

Anyhow, off of that...

I don't know anything about the fees so I would defer to anyone else on that or trust what you are saying.

On returns, let's say they bought something for $300.00 and sold it for $275.00 to lure in customers. They assume that loss. Now, I am not sure how the return of that product benefits Wal Mart. Let's say a customer returned it, and WM sent it back to the manufacturer, they get a credit for $300, because that's what they paid for it. They don't actually make money off of it. Maybe I am missing the boat somewhere?

If this is true how would this hurt their employees? I ask to know, not as if I am arguing with you or anything.

for the whole thread......

Look, I'm not the PR guy for fucking Wal Mart, I'm just saying in a economic world where really good paying jobs for average people are fleeing the country, why jump on one of the corporations who seems to be trying to do something positive in regard to it.

I know people personally who've worked for Wal Mart and do so to this day. These people have years of experience in grocery, they make a higher wage than any other grocery or retail store could afford them. Why? I dunno, I'm guessing it's becase they make more money than the others. Granted if you are an entry level checker or whatever, you probably start right down near the low end near Minimum. But that's true wherever you go.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:04 AM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
American culture, in general, is predicated on greed, and as long as the money keeps on coming in, Americans are complacent and cohesive. Once the money runs out, they degenerate into madness.
That´s not a very positive picture of American culture and Americans.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:10 AM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I'm willing to bet the thousands of people getting laid off from the GM plant a few miles from here will be shopping at Wal-Mart for a while.

Our GM plant got the axe as well. Between GM and all of the other manufacturing jobs that have left town, there isn't much of a good paying job market for anyone around here. I suppose that's true anywhere in the country these days. Thank you NAFTA.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 AM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
Our GM plant got the axe as well. Between GM and all of the other manufacturing jobs that have left town, there isn't much of a good paying job market for anyone around here. I suppose that's true anywhere in the country these days. Thank you NAFTA.
Funny enough, the South was our "Mexico" in the 1980s. That is, good paying jobs in the North were slashed to open cheaper plants in the Sun Belt. But I guess the greed didn't stop there, and now, 20 years later, I guess Southerners are "overpaid" in the eyes of the bottom line.

And this is just the beginning. Our Republican government won't do anything about it either. In fact, they encourage it. Why do you think they stopped talking about domestic issues and ran an election in 2004 pretty much based on gay bashing and warmongering? Because that's classic electoral scapegoating, and it's been a staple in Appalachian politics for decades. Playing the "morality" card is how they get the "oppressed" to continually elect in their "oppressors" time and time again, and that's why we pretty much have people living in third-world squalor in a first-world nation. All you fine people who reelected Bush were flat out duped.

Melon
Old 11-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:23 PM
You'll be employing penguins by 2020, low overheads because they get paid in kippers.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:19 AM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
You'll be employing penguins by 2020, low overheads because they get paid in kippers.
That's what robotics are for. Then we can cut out the kippers too.

Melon
Old 11-23-2005, 08:21 AM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
That´s not a very positive picture of American culture and Americans.
Well, it's true. Prai$e Je$u$!

Melon
Old 11-23-2005, 08:32 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

I understand people shopping there because it's so cheap, I truly do. I have been trying to convince my Mother not to shop there, she doesn't have to but she loves the "thrill" of cheap prices on the few occasions that she shops there. I told her I was going to make her see that movie and maybe that would convince her. She also belongs to Costco.

There are other alternatives though,one being Costco (or some similar warehouse other than Sam's Club) like Sen Kennedy mentioned. A yearly membership there is $40.00 I believe, and some things you buy in bulk can end up being as cheap as Wal Mart. Not everything, but some things. There's also Target of course.

If enough people resused to shop at WalMart, maybe some competitors would do better and other stores would open, and maybe WalMart would be forced to change. I'm certainly no expert in economics so I don't know. But their moral conscience seems to be sorely lacking, maximizing profit at any cost seems to be the only thing that talks to them. There are plenty of discount/off price stores that don't stoop to the level that Wal Mart does.

Did anyone read the info on that site about crime in Wal Mart parking lots? That's an eye opener too.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:48 AM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

trust me, I do know what you mean. I know a whole lot of people with 4 cars and rich daddies who will vigorously defend completely unregulated capitalism. In particular, I remember a conversation where some rich kid's only argument against a NHS (which could have many legit arguments made against it) was that if poor people could afford medecine we'd have to wait longer in line!

melon: If a lot of things need to be changed, then what? Raising minimum wage? National healthcare? (which we might as well forget about if it'd be as much of a fucking disgrace as the VA) It seems like enforced regulations on where companies put their money would be the only things that would make a difference...you can't expect to change fundamental human character, which is to say greed.

(ps- sorry for asking stupid questions, I know this isn't the most intellectually stimulating conversation for the others of you, but I actually learn crap from these conversations...and children are the future...so...)

keep asking questions!

you're a credit to high schoolers everywhere. so great to see you thinking about these things.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #57
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I don't know anything about the fees so I would defer to anyone else on that or trust what you are saying.
You can trust me, I've seen architecture firms that WalMart put out of business because of this practice. They asked them to work for them exclusively and then forced them to go under because they wouldn't pay them on time.

Quote:

On returns, let's say they bought something for $300.00 and sold it for $275.00 to lure in customers. They assume that loss. Now, I am not sure how the return of that product benefits Wal Mart. Let's say a customer returned it, and WM sent it back to the manufacturer, they get a credit for $300, because that's what they paid for it. They don't actually make money off of it. Maybe I am missing the boat somewhere?
They charge companies for mark downs. They're called TPRs (temporary price reductions), which many companies do, but WalMart will charge the company then turn around and return the product to the company for a guarantee return. So they will actually make a profit. They'll do this to companies who have more than one product on their shelves and want to keep their shelf space.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #58
War Child

Local Time: 05:23 AM
It isn't just the American worker that gets screwed over by Wal Mart, it's the people making the items being sold there too.
Let's not forget the sweatshops.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:41 PM   #59
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Our Republican government won't do anything about it either. In fact, they encourage it. Why do you think they stopped talking about domestic issues and ran an election in 2004 pretty much based on gay bashing and warmongering?
I love how you see a thread about Walmart as a chance to accuse conservatives of gay bashing and warmongering.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White
I love how you see a thread about Walmart as a chance to accuse conservatives of gay bashing and warmongering.
Oh please. Who is pushing for the anti-gay "Defense of Marriage Act" amendments in every state? Republicans. Who blocks gay rights legislation from even making it out of committee in Congress? Republicans. Which party in the 2004 election made sure to parade around how anti-gay they are in every campaign ad? Republicans. Which party still pushes for a federal anti-gay marriage amendment? Republicans. Which party interprets those amendments as a way to deny any and all gay rights and benefits? Republicans.

Fuck Republicans. And fuck Wal-Mart. But it is true that these "morality issues" are merely ways to divert the average American idiot's attention from the real issues and problems. The constant "terror alerts" were starting to become ineffective. Notice how we haven't heard of that at all in over a year?

Melon