Walk On...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoteque

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Couldn't find the original thread, so starting a new one.

I finally got my copy of "Walk On: the Spiritual Journey of U2" and have read about 1/3 of it so far. I have somewhat mixed feelings on it. It's obvious that much of the book is based on Steve Stockman's own beliefs, opinions and feelings (as he didn't even interview U2 for the book...perhaps he feared that Bono might go off into some area that might not have jibed with what Stockman wanted for his book?), Stockman definitely has some valid points about the music industry and Christianity, the ongoing struggle between the two, and the barriers that might come from being put into that particular box called "Christian music."

For as long as I have been a Christian, this issue has been foremost in my mind. Music is of fundamental importance to me, and the limitations of this particular musical genre is the reason that I don't like much of--or even most of--the music out there that is labeled "Christian." Though my head tells me that perhaps I ought to add more Christian music to my life, my heart has a very hard time agreeing with that! Though the face of Christian music is changing radically (there are many more styles of Christian music out there today), still, much of what I know and hear in Christian music speaks of the same restricted concepts: praising, thanking and honoring God. While this is a wonderful, noble and virtuous expression of faith that I believe in - God should be praised and thanked and glorified - I very rarely hear Christian music that speaks of REAL LIFE and the REAL world: the injustices done to innocents; the persecution of the Church; the death and dying of millions from disease and starvation; the way that religion divides people, etc. THIS IS WHY U2 speaks to me and touches me so deeply. Because, as Christians, they chose to limit themselves only to as much as they could absorb from the world around them, not to confine themselves to a limited musical genre simply because others deemed they must do so. They're not afraid to go out and dip a toe in the water, even if the water is ferociously hot, and they might be burned!

I was very upset when I read about what happened to Andy McCarroll and Brian Houston; that people would be so legalistic as to feel that squelching the very gift bestowed upon them was the best thing they could do for themselves and for God! To think that Larry, Bono and esp. Edge came close to having that also happen to them...well, I simply can't imagine a world without any of them separately, and ALL of them together as U2.

I think Bono was right: I believe that they are one of the great groups...they certainly have a message and a fervor that none of the other "great groups" seems to have grasped or extended to their fans and audience.

Just wondering what anyone else's thoughts are on the book (so far)??

Disco

Originally posted by Discoteque:
Couldn't find the original thread, so starting a new one.

I finally got my copy of "Walk On: the Spiritual Journey of U2" and have read about 1/3 of it so far. I have somewhat mixed feelings on it. It's obvious that much of the book is based on Steve Stockman's own beliefs, opinions and feelings (as he didn't even interview U2 for the book...perhaps he feared that Bono might go off into some area that might not have jibed with what Stockman wanted for his book?), Stockman definitely has some valid points about the music industry and Christianity, the ongoing struggle between the two, and the barriers that might come from being put into that particular box called "Christian music."

For as long as I have been a Christian, this issue has been foremost in my mind. Music is of fundamental importance to me, and the limitations of this particular musical genre is the reason that I don't like much of--or even most of--the music out there that is labeled "Christian." Though my head tells me that perhaps I ought to add more Christian music to my life, my heart has a very hard time agreeing with that! Though the face of Christian music is changing radically (there are many more styles of Christian music out there today), still, much of what I know and hear in Christian music speaks of the same restricted concepts: praising, thanking and honoring God. While this is a wonderful, noble and virtuous expression of faith that I believe in - God should be praised and thanked and glorified - I very rarely hear Christian music that speaks of REAL LIFE and the REAL world: the injustices done to innocents; the persecution of the Church; the death and dying of millions from disease and starvation; the way that religion divides people, etc. THIS IS WHY U2 speaks to me and touches me so deeply. Because, as Christians, they chose to limit themselves only to as much as they could absorb from the world around them, not to confine themselves to a limited musical genre simply because others deemed they must do so. They're not afraid to go out and dip a toe in the water, even if the water is ferociously hot, and they might be burned!

I was very upset when I read about what happened to Andy McCarroll and Brian Houston; that people would be so legalistic as to feel that squelching the very gift bestowed upon them was the best thing they could do for themselves and for God! To think that Larry, Bono and esp. Edge came close to having that also happen to them...well, I simply can't imagine a world without any of them separately, and ALL of them together as U2.

I think Bono was right: I believe that they are one of the great groups...they certainly have a message and a fervor that none of the other "great groups" seems to have grasped or extended to their fans and audience.

Just wondering what anyone else's thoughts are on the book (so far)??

Disco

Well, no comment on the book (haven't read it and probably never will), but if your heart tells you most "Christian" music isn't very good, why should your head tell you any different?

IMO U2's IS 'Christian', but in such a radical way that both the mainstream media and the broad christian community can barely acknowledge it.

------------------
"It wouldn't be a cry from the heart
or a high, hurtin' wail
we could look down and laugh now
I'd be all together
I'd be totally removed..."

hey Disco! Keep your eyes pealed because in the next day or so, Elvis is setting us up a forum specifically to discuss these things! (the result of that thread you can't find now
biggrin.gif
)

-sula

Yay! Sounds great....um, but isn't that what Free Your Mind is all about??
confused.gif

Oh well...Elvis IS the King after all....

Stay warm, girlie!
smile.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
hey Disco! Keep your eyes pealed because in the next day or so, Elvis is setting us up a forum specifically to discuss these things! (the result of that thread you can't find now
biggrin.gif
)

-sula

Disco, that was very interesting! You know my feelings on religion in general (I was not brought up a Christian and as a result feel very out of the club around here sometimes, and struggle to find spirituality in my own way) but I have an observation to add here.

I have always been very wary of "Christian music" especially if it is nauseating and preachy. But with U2 it's different, because as you say, they talk about other important issues and real life too, and as Larry once said "if you just want to bang your head against a wall because you love the sound of the bass guitar, that's as relevant as anything!"

The thing I really love about U2 is they have respect for everyone, and never bash their religion over your head or make you feel inferior if you don't believe what they do. They also struggle with their beliefs, making them more more accessible to me. That I find ENORMOUSLY inspiring, and it makes me more inclined to pursue spirituality than if they were simply preaching to me.

Originally posted by Discoteque:
that I don't like much of--or even most of--the music out there that is labeled "Christian." Though my head tells me that perhaps I ought to add more Christian music to my life, my heart has a very hard time agreeing with that! Though the face of Christian music is changing radically (there are many more styles of Christian music out there today), still, much of what I know and hear in Christian music speaks of the same restricted concepts: praising, thanking and honoring God. While this is a wonderful, noble and virtuous expression of faith that I believe in - God should be praised and thanked and glorified - I very rarely hear Christian music that speaks of REAL LIFE and the REAL worldDisco
Honestly, I wonder what you mean by "the real world" - to me, there is no world more real than the world of God.

But back to the topic of Christian lyrics. I would think that based on your description of Christian lyrics, it seems you've been listening to too much Christian Radio. I don't like Christian radio. That's where you hear the "bland" stuff. If you want some good music and lyrics, head out to your local Christian music store. Most (at least in my area) include the ability to listen to any CD before you buy. If you don't see a demo for the CD you want to listen to, ask the cashier, and she/he'll probably open one for you.

But anyway, if you want Christian artists with hard-hitting and insightful lyrics, may I suggest the following:

Steve Taylor
Rez
Maire Brennan (Enya's sister)
The Call
Daniel Amos
Swirling Eddies
David Meece
Mad At The World
DC Talk (their later CDS, not the rap stuff)
Jars Of Clay

and there are tons more...

also, try Alice Cooper's last 3 studio CDs:
The Last Temptation Of Alice Cooper
Brutal Planet
Dragon Town

But back to the topic of Christian lyrics. I would think that based on your description of Christian lyrics, it seems you've been listening to too much Christian Radio. I don't like Christian radio. That's where you hear the "bland" stuff.

You may be correct on that one...Dallas is lucky in that it has a LOT of Christian stations to choose from, in all sorts of formats from talk to music to news to preaching, but the music that I do hear is rather smarmy and unenjoyable. There is one a newish station down here that is all Christian rock - mostly geared toward teens and college age - but I find that, if I choose to listen to radio, that's the one station I go for about 99% of the time. I typically don't listen to *any* radio because I don't like what's out there....

But I really like the list you posted...I'll definitely check some of them out. there was a GREAT Christian book/music store here for ahile (Berean) but they went under, unfort.
frown.gif

If you want some good music and lyrics, head out to your local Christian music store.

But anyway, if you want Christian artists with hard-hitting and insightful lyrics, may I suggest the following:

Steve Taylor
Rez
Maire Brennan (Enya's sister)
The Call
Daniel Amos
Swirling Eddies
David Meece
Mad At The World
DC Talk (their later CDS, not the rap stuff)
Jars Of Clay

and there are tons more...

also, try Alice Cooper's last 3 studio CDs:
The Last Temptation Of Alice Cooper
Brutal Planet
Dragon Town

Alice Cooper, seriously??
eek.gif
Wow...haven't listened to anything from him since college days! (a looooong time ago)

I've been listening to Christian music since 1990... I can recommend you all kinds of stuff... heck, half of my 400 CD collection (well, actually more like 1/8th) are CCM music...

I kinda fell away from Christian music since the late 90s... That's because I've lost access to rec.music.christian newsgroup, plus some of my favorite artists had disbanded... Also, I started buying a lot more secular music, including U2...

But lemme tell you, 1991 (YES, the dawning era of grunge) were THE days for Christian music... It was about that time CCM literally EXPLODED!!!

PHAT HipHop acts like Freedom of Soul, Dynamic Twins, P.I.D., S.F.C. came out...

Then the cool hard rock bands like Petra (with Beyond Belief and Unseen Power), and Guardian (my FAV Hardrockers), the Brave, and a bunch of John Elefante rock stuff that were AWESOME....

Then to the ULTRACOOL alternative bands:

the Prayer Chain (to which U2 only SECONDS, still to this day),
Starflyer 59 (A MUST LISTEN),
the violet burning (ya ever want to hear ex-Vineyard members really ROCK?, well, checkdisout),
the Choir (the "Christian" Christian U2)

MORTAL, MxPx, Plankeye, Dakoda Motor Co. (that was a huge band on AOL),

Then adult contemporary, Leslie (Sam) Philips, Out of the Grey (Christine Dente's voice is a gem!)

Take it from me... learn these bands, and you'll be considered cooler than Mirrorball Man in your pop-Christian circle...
wink.gif

ATTN: Elvis et mods,

I'd think it be appropriate to move this thread to United Colors' "The Soul is Goal"..

Am I right?

It is after all the genesis thread...
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by theSoulfulMofo (edited 01-05-2002).]

Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo:
I'd think it be appropriate to move this thread to United Colors' "The Soul is Goal"..
I think so too

(thread moved to The Goal is Soul)

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom