Walk For Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Comptroller Asks Woman to 'Walk Again'

State Comptroller William Donald Schaefer reacted angrily Wednesday to questions about whether he may have offended an aide to Gov. Robert Ehrlich at a meeting of the Board of Public Works.

After the young woman brought him a beverage at Wednesday morning's meeting at the State House, Schaefer stared intently as she walked back to the governor's office. Then, just as she reached the door, he summoned her back as people waiting to testify before the board watched.

When the aide, looking puzzled, returned to the table, Schaefer told her, "Walk again," and watched her as she made the second trip to the exit.

When reporters asked him after the meeting about the incident, he called their interest "dumb." He said "this little girl" ought to be "happy that I observed her going out the door."

Fuck him. Who the hell does he think he is. Who should notice that fucking prick!!!:mad:

AliEnvy said:
Just like those African children should feel lucky we let them become enslaved to pick our cocoa beans. :yell:

Nice marginalization of an issue.

I guess as long as we eat chocolate purchase under current trade conditions, women should not complain about sexual harassment. :down:

At one point after the meeting, the comptroller went into the governor's private office and returned to say the woman was embarrassed by the incident. But Schaefer, 84, was unapologetic about his actions.

"The one who is offended is me," the Democratic comptroller told reporters.

"She's a pretty little girl," he said. "The day I don't look at pretty women is the day I die."

Schaefer recently marked 50 years in public service; he is a former governor and mayor of Baltimore. He is seeking re-election in November to a third four-year term.

Odd remarks and antics by Schaefer at meetings of the Board of Public Works are commonplace. He once complained about a Spanish-speaking McDonald's clerk and has suggested that there should be a public registry of people with AIDS.

He also has referred before to women as "little girls," although women who have worked for him have celebrated the term and said he treated them with respect. After a campaign ad in 2002 suggested he was unfair to women, some of his former employees held a rally, waving signs that read "Little Girls for Schaefer."

not to defend this boorish behavior
but, he is an old bastard

and most likely is on his last legs

nbcrusader said:

Nice marginalization of an issue.

I guess as long as we eat chocolate purchase under current trade conditions, women should not complain about sexual harassment. :down:

I agree. I think all too often people get so caught up in a issue they think is the most important and think no one else is should mention anything else (at least not without it being compared).

There are loads of problems/issues in this world which can use attention. If you want to pick a particular one to promote, do it, but don't demean people who choose a different one.

nbcrusader said:

Huh?

It's interesting you infer that from what I said.

indra said:

There are loads of problems/issues in this world which can use attention. If you want to pick a particular one to promote, do it, but don't demean people who choose a different one.

My comment was directed at demeaning State Comptroller William Donald Schaefer and his ignorant arrogance.

I can see that went over a few heads, sorry!

deep said:

but, he is an old bastard
and most likely is on his last legs

Doesn't matter, and why the hell is he in a public office? Especially considering his past history.

Women have to put up with this kind of harassment from much younger men too. It would really help if other men called the harassers out for their behavior and gave this issue the attention it deserves. Saying nothing to/about these men only reinforces their behavior.

That's right. Doesn't matter if he's old, there are laws. I'd sue.

AliEnvy said:

My comment was directed at demeaning State Comptroller William Donald Schaefer and his ignorant arrogance.

I can see that went over a few heads, sorry!

No problem. I re-read you post and it makes sense the way you intended.

I've just seen other posts that marginalize the plight of one group of people because of a claim of injustice for another unrelated, totally separate group of people.

I think we are all in the same boat on this issue.

Back
Top Bottom