Wal-Mart: the trail of low prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: they have not slaughtered me yet

Macfistowannabe said:
Suicidal sheep...

(What did you mean by that?)

I think he means: People continue to shop in droves at Wal-Mart thereby implicitly endorsing their methods.

Which is why they don't get a penny from me.

Or more in depth, people shop at Walmart causing a lowering of income standards in that area causing more low income people who shop at Walmart ect ect.

I have some articles on how Walmart has also facilitated outsourcing over the last decade or so, especially in the garmet industries, but also small appliances ect. Basically they have forced suppliers to outsource in order to offer a particular cost demanded by Walmart. I'll look them up when I get home. This contributes to my refusal to shop there.

Costco is an organization that operates much more ethically, offers it's workers higher wages, and has the same low prices as Sam's Club. They also have earned higher returns than Sam's for the last couple of years

It's great to see many people here refuse to shop at WalMart, I 'm with you! Having ethics and morals when you shop is crucial if you can manage to do it (and not everybody can, I admit).

I've never step foot into a WalMart, but now that they have closed down one of their shops in Quebec (where I live) because the employees had succeeded in unionizing (I think it was the first time in WalMart history), my hatred of them has reached new levels. This company is bad as it gets in terms of 'corporate citizenship', and I'm really wishing for a wide-spread boycott here in Quebec, and hopefully elsewhere in the world.

And btw, for those who shop there because it's cheaper, I certainly understand the motivation, but you must realized that in the long-run, consumers never benefit when there is less competition and near-monopolies. And what WalMart is doing is driving out of business most other options, so when the day comes and they really, completely dominated the market, we'll all be dependent on them and you can say bye bye to those low prices.

diamond said:
i like Walmart.

thats where i recieve all my sexydiamond haircuts:angry:

thank u
db9

And you know your sexy haircuts make my world go round.

Ah, I guess I'm a suicidal sheep since I buy diapers at Wal-mart. I'd rather be a suicidal ram. A ram seems more virile. Maybe even a sacrificial ram. That'd be cool, too.

oceane said:

And btw, for those who shop there because it's cheaper, I certainly understand the motivation, but you must realized that in the long-run, consumers never benefit when there is less competition and near-monopolies. And what WalMart is doing is driving out of business most other options, so when the day comes and they really, completely dominated the market, we'll all be dependent on them and you can say bye bye to those low prices.

I am afraid you are right. This is capitalism at its finest--lure customers in with low prices by undercutting the competition. Put the competition out of business and drive prices up when there is no alternative.

The problem now is that I simply can't afford to shop anywhere else. Maybe further in my career when I break out of the poverty barrier then I can be more selective about where I shop. But I'm still a good person. Honest. I even buy organic milk and eggs. Granted, I buy them from Wal-mart so maybe my health conscious attitude is cancelled by the fact that I buy it from Wal-mart.

My wife and I tried Cosco and we loved being able to buy great food for less than other stores. The only problem is, we were still spending more overall. We'd get sucked into the DVD / clothing / hardware / anything else you want section (which, by the way, is strategically placed so you have to walk through it BEFORE you get to the food.)

I am a suicidal sheep...I mean ram.

-later

U2utah2U said:
I even buy organic milk and eggs. Granted, I buy them from Wal-mart so maybe my health conscious attitude is cancelled by the fact that I buy it from Wal-mart.
:lol: Now that's good math.

Yeah, I thought so. It's a kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't attitude. Plus, I was feeling rather sarcastic this afternoon.

I avoid Wal-Mart as much as possible, but I'm with U2utah2U and sometimes can't justify spending much more $ to boycott. I've tried. I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste and it's $1.00 more locally elsewhere. That's just one item.

Now, I try to get what I need everywhere else first - but still end up getting things there in the end. :reject:

I have one very close by so my options for other places is smaller without driving further.

I am at a loss to understand why WalMart has a monopoly. And why their business practices are so poor. I had always thought that our Woolworths chain of supermarkets here had some kind of partnership with WalMart, as Woolies (Woolworths Group Ltd.)also own a huge retail chain called Big W. Our Big w shops are excellent. 'Everyday Low Prices' and even the same store layout and slogans (almost). I remember a thread about WalMart a while back and someone posted pics and they were so alike to our Big W, I was quite missing some kind of point.

So I did some research. I found a (relatively) old article from last year on Roger Corbett, an Australian, who headed Big W, and his good buddy Jack Shewmaker who used to be WalMart's President and now is on the board and manages the Strategic Committee of WalMart. Roger has followed Jack's lead in making Woolworths very rich by making Big W one of Australia's largest and most successful retail giants. And he has done so without any scandals of paying below legal wages, they hire immigrants (we have policies here which require all companies by law to do so), the workers all belong to a union if they so choose, I know for a fact that Woolworths Ltd utilises SDA which is Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association, everything is super. Their main goal in life is to trump the Coles Myer Group who own our chain of Target stores, Big W's competitor.

So if Roger can do it, and he followed Jack's lead remember, why is WalMart so rooted with ethics and morals? And seemingly above the law?

http://www.crikey.com.au/business/2004/04/20-0005.html

The last paragraph especially highlights an important point. Retailers in Australia are very strictly monitored to prevent monopolisation. Woolworths Ltd have a market share of around 40%. It's a substantial chunk by anyone's standards. Coles Myer are only slightly behind, last I checked and cared was a couple of years ago when they were in the high 30% range. So. Big W can get away with unbelivable prices. Government watchdogs are constantly on these 2 corporations to ensure they don't monopolise the market, though with few retail giants to compete, not much can be done until more competitors put their hands up and try. But when they do, there will be limitations in place to stop bastardised tactics from these 2 stopping anyone else getting a piece of the pie. Perhaps the problem isn't necessarily WalMart. It can be done ethically, we're proof. Perhaps Jack should have looked at Roger as a mentor, and not so exclusively the other way round.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Ok my meeting was delayed so I'll give one example that I know first hand.

I use to work for a company where Wal Mart was one of our clients. Wal Mart was a big portion of our bread and butter and they knew it. Our billing would go several months overdue. But of couse we couldn't drop them and they knew that. They would keep our money, the money they owed us in short term accounts in order to draw interest, they would pay their vendors because of course they don't want them to pull out. After bills went 6 to 8 months past due they would finally pay us. The interest they made on keeping the money in these accounts make up for your low prices. This was something they were doing to the industry as a whole(architecture), some of our competition would try legal action but just couldn't afford to go up against Wal Mart. Wal Mart would only hire small to medium size firms to do their work. In fact Wal Mart actually convinced one of their firms(I'm sure there are more, but I know of this one first hand) to drop all other clients working soley for Wal Mart, promised they'd pay on time and send them a certain amount of stores per quarter. Well they sent them the certain amount of stores, but never paid on time and now the company no longer exists.

This is one of the reasons I do not want to give them my business. It is sooooo very difficult not to shop there sometimes. I have to admit. But my sister is a staunch antagonist of WalMart, first and foremost for the reason you stated above. That is just an out and out dodgy business practice. She always gives me an earful when she knows I have been to WalMart.

I really need to stop trading with them altogether. Did I mention that all the cheap stuff they have usually has the "Made in China" label on it. I know this sounds hokey but when I see like a wee toy with that label on it I kinda think that some poor kid that will never even have a toy like that is the one who made it.

I really think I am just going to stop going there. After years of having guilt (yes really) of shopping there, I am ready to put my money where my mouth is.

Great post BVS (great thread altogether actually) it has prompted me to action.

by SAM DOLNICK, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - A real estate developer scrapped plans to build the city's first Wal-Mart store amid intense pressure from residents and union leaders.

The decision, announced by city officials Wednesday, comes as a blow to the retail giant, which has sought for years to move into the lucrative New York City market.

The company had announced Dec. 6 that it would open a new store in the Rego Park neighborhood of Queens.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. spokeswoman Mia Masten said Wednesday the company had never signed a deal with the developer, Vornado Realty Trust, for the 132,000-square-foot space. She said Wal-Mart was still interested in exploring other locations in the city.

Vornado spokeswoman Roann Kulakoss declined to comment Thursday.

Opponents formed coalitions to block the store immediately after Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, announced plans to expand into New York.

Small businesses feared Wal-Mart would drive many retailers out and residents near the site raised concerns about traffic and parking at the proposed site. Union leaders cited a list of labor offenses against the company, including a recent settlement of allegations that Wal-Mart violated child labor laws and the company's decision to close a Quebec store when workers moved to unionize.

Meanwhile, in California, Wal-Mart Chief Executive H. Lee Scott Jr. said Wednesday that the company is renewing efforts to expand its Supercenter stores there. Public outcry had stalled the company's plans there last year.

Scott said that although Wal-Mart's $1 million campaign to gain voter approval for superstore projects in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas failed, it is moving ahead with plans to open 25 new stores in the state this year.

"We're not going to lay down," he said. "We've got nothing to apologize for."

Analysts have said that Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart needs to tap into the New York City and Southern California markets to make up for slow growth elsewhere in recent years.

Wal-Mart shares fell 2 cents to $51.58 in early trading Thursday on the New York Stock Exchange.

Hi!

It was at one time Walmart used to pride itself on American made products.....then they started branching out into the food chainstore...then they started building stores all over the world........now they're into buying the cheapest of the cheap often telling manufacturers how to run their businesses so they conform to Walmart standards...........It seems the goods now are often of an inferior quality....did you ever visit Walmart's return desk....I had to return a few items myself just because they broke after a few uses.

{what is the adage.....the bigger they get.....the harder they fall.....}

I still shop Walmart only because there are no other chain stores in the area and I shop for groceries at a grocery store. Although they do have a good selection of Matchbox toys.

carol
wizard2c

:|

Money's tight, and Wal-Mart's cheapest, so that's where we shop for food. I don't feel especially bad about it, it's just a reality...if we had money to throw into the coffers of our choosing, we probably wouldn't choose Wal-mart's, but we don't.

And you may say that if everyone stops shopping there, there will be more local shops/competition/lower prices, but that ideal doesn't help much when it comes to paying this month's rent.

I think that's why a lot of people shop there...

To paraphrase Karl Marx...Wal-Mart is the opium of the people.

Back
Top Bottom