Wal-Mart- Good or Evil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurel Hill

The Fly
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, they are very good for the average American who doesn't have much money, because they keep prices low and affordable. They have everything in one place, food, clothes, household and car supplies, etc.

On the other hand, by doing this, they are destroying the local economy in some places, and killing off 'mom and pop' privately owned stores. While those stores may charge higher prices, they have to because they can't buy in bulk like a chain giant can. So while I feel sorry for the small businesses going down because of Wal-Mart, I can't blame the people who choose to shop where the prices are lower. So this is the dilemma.

Another factor is that Wal-Mart is not good to its employees. Most will be fired for taking off sick without a doctor's note, yet they cannot afford to lose the day's pay and pay for a doctor out of pocket too. (this came from the mouths of employees I know personally) Recently I encountered an elderly woman of at least 70 bagging groceries with a cast on her arm. She'd had surgery and it wasn't healing well because she coudn't rest it, but she had no more payed sick leave and could not 'afford' to rest. This is tragic.

What are your thoughts?

Big, successful corporations make nice targets - especially when unions can't tap into the money flow.

Is Walmart our idea of the perfect employer? No.

Are people willing to pay higher prices to maintain ideal work environments? Apparently not.

Well, I think they're evil because:
I don't like Walmarts. I don't like they way they treat their employees. I don't generally like the employees. I don't like that the family has billions of dollars but doesn't mind paying minimum wage, and not provide health care to many of their employees (is that right?). I don't like most the shoppers in there. I don't like the layouts of Walmart. I hate the parking lots. I don't like that when they build a Walmart, many small business go kaput.

All that being said, I still occasianly shop there. So something that bad yet still so enticing can only be evil. And I guess I'm a litle bit evil in my complacency. And knowing that, I'll probably still shop there now and then.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world to shop at Walmart.

Evil! :eyebrow:

Don't get me started! I'll try to contain myself!! Wal-mart is falling short in many areas: As an employer, Customer Service, Stock actually on shelves, Quality of clothing/stock, Prices compared to other stores is really about the same (especially considering the fact that you have to make more than one trip somewhere to get all the items you need - because Wal-mart IS GOING to be out of certain stocked items), and Check-out wait time..... Just to name a few off the top of my head... :mad:

I think a society that justifies treating people badly as the cost of business or offering lower prices gets what they pay for eventually.

I don't like Wal-Mart. I don't like the way they treat their employees, and I don't like it that they drive small businesses into the ground. That being said I did shop once there when I couldn't find any broadcloth at my usual fabric shop. But it was because I either went there or didn't get the fabric.

Wal-Mart lives or dies on whether it has customers, so it isn't going to go out to make itself evil.

Regardless of lack of stock availability, quality or customer service, there are many many people out there that consider it to be doing enough right things for them to use it...if it wasn't they would simply choose to go elsewhere.

There are many stories about how Walmart have entered areas and heavily discounted their prices in order to force local completitors out of business, only to raise prices when there are none left. However I believe it is the responsibility of governments to ensure that every business is able to compete on a level playing field, and not be able to exploit markets unfairly. Walmart clearly don't show any concern for moral responsiblity, but why should they? They are playing by the rules.

I do like their Smiley......:)

Have to admit that in my neighborhood there is not much of a choice of stores.... they do have a great assortment of Matchbox cars {I purchase them by name and not looks BTW}.....their apparel is okay but after a few washings they do have a tattered look.....the clerks are cheerful...good prices on allergy pills and aspirin.....so I would rate "good".

:|

adrball said:
However I believe it is the responsibility of governments to ensure that every business is able to compete on a level playing field, and not be able to exploit markets unfairly. Walmart clearly don't show any concern for moral responsiblity, but why should they? They are playing by the rules.

:up:

:down: I do not shop there, and I would rather pay more for something than shop there. Probably because of the way they treat (or don't treat) their employees :tsk:

I do not shop at Wal-Mart because I do not like them. They bragged years ago about selling only American made products and that was blown out of the water when 60 Minutes or one of those newsy shows did a piece on them proving that was false. At the time Mr Walmart was till alive and lied through his teeth dyring his interviews. At that I refused to shop there. I don't like stories about how they treat employees either. There are other places I prefer to spend my money at and give my business to. I wish Wal-Mart would be driven out of business. :mad:

Well the fashion in which employees are treated in say, Coles in Australia, is a far cry from Wal-mart. We are treated with plenty of respect and no one ever complains, they really do aim to make sure their customers and employees are satisfied. And Coles is the equivalent corporation in Australia.

AussieU2fanman said:
Well the fashion in which employees are treated in say, Coles in Australia, is a far cry from Wal-mart. We are treated with plenty of respect and no one ever complains, they really do aim to make sure their customers and employees are satisfied. And Coles is the equivalent corporation in Australia.

It will be interesting to see if the new industrial relations workplace changes will affect the way Coles and other large corporations in Australia treat their employees,we are already seeing a increase in sackings a week into the changes:eyebrow:

I think I've been to Wal-Mart once back in 1994 just to see what the then-newly built store looked like. Beyond that, my parents have never shopped there. We get our food from Kroger, which is unionized and cheap (novel concept!), and I buy a lot of the rest of my stuff online. But honestly, I don't get a lot of trinkets anyway.

Melon

Hate Walmart.

I never, EVER, been into a Walmart. And I'm proud of saying that. My two brothers and my father and I have worked union our whole lives and believe that when you spend your hard earned money it should be somewhere where that person will in turn spend their hard earned money. Recentley in Canada two Walmarts were organized by the United Food and Commericial Workers, they asked for very little (and because health care is public in Canada Walmart already has the advantage of not paying those costs) all they wanted was guarenteed pay increases and regular time off. But Walmart refused to enter into negotiations and closed the stores.

Now if that doesnt reek of a bad employer I dont know what does.

Also I can honestly say that I hate all big box stores and rarely shop there. Luckily I have stores in my neighbourhood that offer affordable prices and that money goes to owners and employees.

Disclaimer: Walmart is not the only bad employer and it is somewhat unfair to go after them solely but the reality is they are the worst and the biggest.

melon said:
I think I've been to Wal-Mart once back in 1994 just to see what the then-newly built store looked like. Beyond that, my parents have never shopped there. We get our food from Kroger, which is unionized and cheap (novel concept!), and I buy a lot of the rest of my stuff online. But honestly, I don't get a lot of trinkets anyway.

Melon

Yes, Melon, to you they are mere trinkets but to a wizard...a future can unfold.....that is why I purchased a coloring book today called "Almost Wild" from Disney's "The Wild".....plus there is a section to fill in the dots..it says to make your wild scene, you'll need:
* a shoe box
* crayons
* scissors
* glue

1994 you say.....things may have changed a bit since then, but nonetheless.

:|

EVIL...There is no doubt about this.
Watch the documentary on Wal Mart and the greedy subhuman family that owns it - unbeleivable. They are the living breathing example of corporate greed.

There are different routes one can take when faced with the "Walmart issue". While the studies and reports freqently cited here are union-funded and done pursuant to their agenda, there are some lessons to take from the claims.

We often hear about the loss of "mom & pop" stores as they "cannot compete" with Walmart.

Is this such a bad thing? Should small, high priced merchants retain their market share (or small monopoly on the block)? Are we romanticizing the idea of the "mom & pop" market as a place we would prefer to shop?

There are plenty of examples of higher priced institutions remaining in business despite low cost competators. If low price alone worked, we would be having these arguments about K-Mart (and that would be been going on for decades).

Part of the romantic charm of the "mom" & pop" market is the personal service, the human connection that takes place in the store. When this truly happens, the small market remains open based on loyal customer support and the desire to get good service and a warm inviting experience in exchange for the slightly higher price.

If a small market doesn't provide the human element, should we expect it to remain open and why? Because they were there first?

And why does Walmart not completely wipe out their bigger competators? The customer experience must be factored into these equations.

Quite frankly, Wal-mart is offering a good product at a cheap price. You can argue that 'mom and pop' stores are getting wiped out. But thats the nature of the game. If you can guarantee a product for cheaper and have it readily available, you will get the business. If a 'm&p' store is in competition with a heavy weight such as wal-mart, they have to adapt and figure out a way that they can offer their product in a way that wal-mart can't. You can plead corporate tyranny, but in reality, who's to blame? The single mother trying to save a few bucks to keep her kids in day care, so she shops at wal-mart? Or Wal-mart for offering the product for cheap so that the mother can help her kids. There is nothing inherently wrong with what wal-mart does.

Also, about the employees without health or whatever benefits. The role of the employee is to serve the company. The company's role is NOT to serve the employee. There is no obligation to offer benefits of any sort. Long hours and mediocre pay characterise those type of jobs regardless of the company. Those who apply for a job at wal mart should modestly understand that they will not drive out of their garage with a BMW 7 series the next day. It's the nature of a job at that level.

If wal-mart were to offer a comfortable salary and benefits... the increase in prices would high enough that wal-mart would consider out sourcing even more to cut costs. OR they would devise a more efficient system within their stores which would require less staff. OR they would hire more people and give them less hours. This way benefits don't come into play, and again, they save costs.

A more recent example of this scenario can be seen with the recent minimum wage increase in Ontario. I worked at a Tim horton's for 5 years through high school, and it was regular occurence for our manager to give some of the harder workers overtime if they needed it. However, because of the recent pay increase, our manager has cut back on this significantly because it's too costly.
The result? Full time workers not pulling in enough, and cheaper paid high school idiots getting 3hr shifts all over the place which eat into the full time staff's time log.

Beware of the moral highground.

djfeelgood said:
Also, about the employees without health or whatever benefits. The role of the employee is to serve the company. The company's role is NOT to serve the employee. There is no obligation to offer benefits of any sort. Long hours and mediocre pay characterise those type of jobs regardless of the company. Those who apply for a job at wal mart should modestly understand that they will not drive out of their garage with a BMW 7 series the next day. It's the nature of a job at that level.

Walmart does provide and income and benefits to employees, nneither of which exist for those without a job.

The statement "the company's role is NOT to serve the employee" may be technically true, but is foolish on many levels. No company does business without some form of interaction between its employees and the outside world. A company that provides for its employees and creates a work environment where an employee feels valued enhances the profitability of the company. The success of valuing employees cannot be measured mechanically, but is a function of the genuine communication from management.

Do employees of Walmart feel undervalued? Some do (as evidenced by the union studies), but Walmart continues to receive more employment applications than jobs available. I'd bet the majority of employees do not view Walmart as their only option for employment and continue to work there.

nbcrusader said:

Walmart does provide and income and benefits to employees, nneither of which exist for those without a job.

The statement "the company's role is NOT to serve the employee" may be technically true, but is foolish on many levels. No company does business without some form of interaction between its employees and the outside world. A company that provides for its employees and creates a work environment where an employee feels valued enhances the profitability of the company. The success of valuing employees cannot be measured mechanically, but is a function of the genuine communication from management.

Do employees of Walmart feel undervalued? Some do (as evidenced by the union studies), but Walmart continues to receive more employment applications than jobs available. I'd bet the majority of employees do not view Walmart as their only option for employment and continue to work there.

I like your observations. It amazes me actually how most Walmart employees seem quite happy to be there. (Maybe they're injected with some kind of happy serum before their shifts.) I worry about the sameness of it all, however. It kind of weirds me out that I can enter one Walmart location, and instantly, it's like I could be in any of their billion locations across the world. It's shopping teleportation the extreme.

I'm ambilivant about Walmart, and I see good and bad. I see how it's closing certain smaller character-driven stores we have here in Canada, but I also see how it's forcing others to use a little more ingenuity to stay afloat. I may be naive about this, but ideally, I can see both Walmart and the traditional stores thriving in their own respective territory. For example, if I'm looking for the best-priced shaving kit, or a bulk pack of dvds, Walmart is the destination. However, if I'm looking for something special for someone, I'll look for something original and charming at a traditional store.

evil...of the very mundane kind...
I used to be tempted by their 50cents cheaper prices per pack of 100 diapers, but I decided that it's just not worth it. It's not worth shopping at a place that bullies their employees, their suppliers, everyone. It's just not worth shopping at a place that could care less about look n' feel, about creating something that feels good. It's not that I'm against economies of scale, and I certainly understand wanting to stretch your income...it's just that they don't offer prices that much lower for all their ugliness. Most of the crap they sell one doesn' t need anyway. So, I prefer Target for most of my bigbox needs and skip the cheapest possible price on juiceboxes and flipflops. mom and pop barely exists anymore in my neck of the woods, so that option is long long gone...

AussieU2fanman said:

I thought it was Big W which was the equivilant, as much as an equivilant can be anyway. Roger Corbett or whatever his name is, even admits to modelling these shops on Wal-Mart. The slogans are the same, the Everyday Low Prices shop signs and banners even match. The new self serve registers are painfully American corporation. It is their promise to us that we will become America. I dont mind Big W, on the whole, but with a few things they choose to do along wth Howard's plan to rid us of rights, we'll soon be in the same boat. We thankfully lack Wal-Mart but we needn't worry - we get the same in other ways.
Have you lost 1 1/2 on Sundays, for example? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom