Wake Up, Vatican...Gay Priests Are NOT the Problem! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2005, 09:52 AM   #1
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Wake Up, Vatican...Gay Priests Are NOT the Problem!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/26/pri....ap/index.html

Eleven priests in one Archdiocese alone have been removed from pastoral duties due to more allegations of sexual abuse of children.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:26 PM
we all know that gay people are *objectively disordered*

Old 09-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
New Yorker

Look, whether U agree with the Roman Catholic Church's position or not, or whether U believe they're focusing on gays 2 divert attention from other issues, ultimately, they have the right 2 create their own rules.

I'm not 4 organized religion, and a lot of Catholic Dogma is not Biblical, but if as an organization they want to have certain rules, they're entitled 2 that.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:26 PM
Absolutely, and I'm entitled to believe that their priorities are disordered.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:21 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:26 PM
This is not cool. They do have their priorities screwed up.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm more concerned with legalizing gay marriage than convincing the Church to stop thinking homosexuality is a sin. They can make their own rules*, and yes I do think they've got some messed up priorities. But then again, if I headed a church and strongly believed homosexuality was against God, it would only make sense to kick them out, right?

*within the law, ie sexually abusing children=not okay
Old 09-27-2005, 11:38 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't neccessarily disagree with the Church rejecting Gay Priests. However, I start to have problems with it when they repeatedly 'overlook' the clear problem that exists within it of sexual abuse of children, yet seem to condemn homosexuality as a greater 'evil' or 'sin'.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by beau2ifulday
I don't neccessarily disagree with the Church rejecting Gay Priests. However, I start to have problems with it when they repeatedly 'overlook' the clear problem that exists within it of sexual abuse of children, yet seem to condemn homosexuality as a greater 'evil' or 'sin'.

it's because they're using homosexuality as a scapegoat for pedophilia.

they are emphatically not the same thing; homosexuality has as much to do with pedophilia as heterosexuality has to do with rape; yet, the church needs to blame someone ... and now that it's not cool to blame "the Jews" for everything ...

(kidding on that last comment ... or at least irony intended)
Old 09-27-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

That's right, they're not going about the business of correcting the problem of sexual abuse right at all. They can't blame it all on the gays, but they seem to want to. That's ridiculous.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:26 PM
It is dumb, yes...I dunno, molesting children's a hell of a lot scarier to me than a gay priest would ever be. It's sad that some people seem to flip the two around (or, as Irvine said, combine the two...which irritates the hell out of me, too).

Angela
Old 09-27-2005, 07:06 PM   #11
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Disciple
Look, whether U agree with the Roman Catholic Church's position or not, or whether U believe they're focusing on gays 2 divert attention from other issues, ultimately, they have the right 2 create their own rules.
I agree with this in principle...BUT I believe it's the case (melon will undoubtedly know for sure) that Catholic doctrine explicitly distinguishes between homosexual orientation (which is NOT considered a sin) and homosexual sex (which is). And ALL Catholic priests, regardless of sexual orientation, are after all expected to be celibate. So, by enacting this policy, they really are taking the undoctrinally-sound stance that a homosexual orientation will inevitably cause priests to become active pedophiles. That stance comes from homophobia, not Catholic doctrine.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:15 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
It is dumb, yes...I dunno, molesting children's a hell of a lot scarier to me than a gay priest would ever be. It's sad that some people seem to flip the two around (or, as Irvine said, combine the two...which irritates the hell out of me, too).

Angela
Yeah, molestation is one thing, and being gay is quite another. Molestation is wrong and harmful. Being gay, in my opinion, is neither.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

yolland would be correct. To add to the mix, however, is that a lot of the relatively gay friendly doctrine comes from Pope Paul VI, whom both John Paul II and Benedict XVI are not too fond of. The current pope, in particular, was known for being virulently homophobic during his previous life as "Cardinal Ratzinger," head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Undoubtedly, it is this homophobia that is seeping out of the current papacy, which is merely a continuance and expansion of the homophobia that was rampant during John Paul II. In due time, the Catholic Church will probably mirror fundamentalist Protestantism and start booting all homosexuals from the pews too.

Melon
Old 09-27-2005, 07:55 PM   #14
Refugee

Uh...is it just me, or did that article have nothing whatsoever to do with homosexuality?
Old 09-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24
Uh...is it just me, or did that article have nothing whatsoever to do with homosexuality?

the point that Pax was making is, in light of the current Pope's push to literally purge the clergy of gay priests, this is a perfect example of scapegoating -- gay people are not pedophiles, pedophiles are pedophiles, but to conflate the two draws attention away from the legitimate problem of pedophilia (which, i would argue, might be directly attributed to the arrested develeopment in the sexuality of many priests, gay or straight) in order to fault homosexuality as the source of the problem when it is not.