Wacky Week Is Corrupting Kids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
cbsnews.com

(AP) An elementary-school event in which kids were encouraged to dress as members of the opposite gender drew the ire of a Christian radio group, whose angry broadcast prompted outraged calls to the district office.

Students at Pineview Elementary had been dressing in costume all last week as part of an annual school tradition called Wacky Week. On Friday, students were encouraged to dress either as senior citizens or as members of the opposite sex.

A local resident informed the Voice of Christian Youth America on Friday. The Milwaukee-based radio network responded by interrupting its morning programming for a special broadcast that aired on nine radio stations throughout Wisconsin. The broadcast criticized the dress-up day and accused the district of promoting alternative lifestyles.

"We believe it's the wrong message to send to elementary students," said Jim Schneider, the network's program director. "Our station is one that promotes traditional family values. It concerns us when a school district strikes at the heart and core of the Biblical values. To promote this to elementary-school students is a great error."

Schneider co-hosts "Crosstalk," a nationally syndicated call-in Christian radio show, along with Vic Eliason and Ingrid Schlueter.

"We became aware of this from constituents in your area. Anything that concerns the populace is important enough to talk about," Eliason said. "This is tax-funded - this is not a dress-up party in somebody's house. There are parents, taxpayers who do not appreciate the imposition of a particular lifestyle being portrayed as a normal lifestyle for the kids."

After the program aired, both the school and Reedsburg School District office were flooded with calls complaining about the event.

The response surprised Principal Tammy Hayes, who said no one had raised any objections beforehand. She said a flier detailing Wacky Week had been sent home with children the prior week, and an announcement was also included in teacher newsletters.

"Nobody contacted me," Hayes said.

The dress-up day was not an attempt to promote cross-dressing, homosexuality or alternative gender roles, district administrator Tom Benson said.

"The promotion of transgenderism - that was not our purpose," Benson said. "Our purpose was to have a Wacky Week, mixing in a bit of silliness with our reading, writing and arithmetic."

The theme for Friday's dress-up day came from students, Hayes said. The Wacky Week schedule was created by Pineview's Student Senate with the guidance of secretary Shari Miller.

"It's different every year. They basically present the ideas, and they vote on what they would like from Monday through Friday," Hayes said. "I feel awful for the kids and Shari. They did not mean anything by this day. They were trying to have fun and come up with a fun dress-up day."

About 40 percent of the student body dressed up Friday, Hayes estimated, with half portraying senior citizens and half dressing as the opposite sex.

"I can assure you we will not be having this day (again)," Hayes said.

Schneider said VCY America had no plans to rebroadcast its news special.

Reedsburg is in southern Wisconsin, about 60 miles northwest of Madison.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:lmao: Some parents are just idiots...

Truly - talk about blowing something up to insane proportions - irritates the hell out of me when parents put 'their' spin on a situation and take the innocence out of a bit of fun - grrrr:mad: most kids would have embraced the idea in its purest of forms and had an absolute blast

but, is it just me or, does it sound a little like the media grabbing hold of something to make up for a slow news day? Principal said they'd received no complaints prior to the event, & being a mummy myself, if I hear of something that doesn't sit well with me, I'll say something . . . Either way - meh:|

MrsSpringsteen said:

"The promotion of transgenderism - that was not our purpose," Benson said. "Our purpose was to have a Wacky Week, mixing in a bit of silliness with our reading, writing and arithmetic."

:lol: Right.

I think for the guy to say that it's just a way to promote silliness is ridiculous. If that's what he wants to do, there are a million other ways. I see not the slightest educational benefit from cross-dressing.

If you're teaching impressionable children that it's ok to cross-dress, then yes, it is wrong. And I see no point in the idea.

2861U2 said:
If you're teaching impressionable children that it's ok to cross-dress, then yes, it is wrong. And I see no point in the idea.

At first I was joking about the tinfoil hat, but I think it might be a good idea now.

I mean... seriously? You think a Wacky Week where kids dress up in the opposite genders clothes is teaching kids it's ok to cross-dress? It's called Wacky Week, fer chrissakes. The kids know its supposed to be, oh, what's the word.... wacky. AKA - not the normal thing to do.

Seriously, you and a far greater number of conservatives need to get this stick out of your ass when it comes to gender roles and perceived threats to them.

2861U2 said:

:eyebrow: Since when was their 'education' about wacky week including "Dress up as the opposite sex because it's ok to cross dress" - it's about being wacky, silly, having fun, and doing something that you don't normally do.

As a parent of 3 young children, who have just had 'Wacky Week' at their school, you SERIOUSLY have the wrong impression of what it's about, and that concerns me greatly. It actually brings back memories of the 80's when Aids came into greater awareness and scaremongerers tried to tell us you could catch it by sharing drinks etc :tsk:. Children don't associate your so called 'crossdressing' with encouraging the wrong idea and them growing up to be transgender. They simply see it as a harmless giggle - as it should be. My son has played with his sisters dolls and dressed in their fairy dresses. This does NOT mean that he will be gay, transgender, or have other issues. He is a normal, healthy, well rounded boy, who loves doing 'boy stuff'. One of my daughters likes to pretend to 'be the boy' every now and then (she's 6). Once again, I have no issue with this as she is simply being a child, using her imagination and playing as a child should.

It is the adults with too much time on their hands that cause harmless fun to be ruined with sick innuendo's and scaremongering. I feel sorry for that school that their day got ruined.

I think that the world has become far to PC and that people spend too much time thinking of what 'could' happen, and therefore take away all the innocent fun and spontenaity of life. :tsk:

Let Them Be Kids!!!!!

2861U2 said:

Actually, do you see this so called 'crossdressing' as being the same as a child dressing up as Spiderman/Batman/Superman and thinking because they're an 'impressionable' child that they're automatically going to think they can fly/climb buildings? Because really, that's just the same. By dressing up as a superhero or opposite sex does not mean that a 'switch' is going to go off in a childs head and they suddenly think they are literally that character. It's a great little thing called 'role-play'. Like when kids play Mums & Dads etc.....If you've got two girls playing 'families' they don't play Mums & Mums do they? (and frankly I don't have a problem if they do!) :ohmy: I can only imagine what you'd think of that!!! :lol:

2861U2 said:

:|

You can't be serious.

This isn't promoting cross-dressing, you can't possibly this paranoid, can you?

Kids have wonderful imaginations and like to be creative, this age is not the time to force them to think in the small boxes that you do.

And honestly how is it WRONG? Is it morally wrong? Is there a commandment I'm missing? How is this "wrong"? Are the Scottish "wrong"?

Diemen said:
you and a far greater number of conservatives need to get this stick out of your ass
Please don't address other posters like this.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
And honestly how is it WRONG? Is it morally wrong? Is there a commandment I'm missing?
Technically there is (Deut 22:5), which may or may not be what he had in mind; although I've never heard of anyone applying it to children's costume events (or adults' either for that matter).

yolland said:

Technically there is (Deut 22:5), which may or may not be what he had in mind; although I've never heard of anyone applying it to children's costume events (or adults' either for that matter).

Nice catch... Yeah, but I'd really like to see any Christian actually use this justification, for they wouldn't get very far. Basically it's just a conformity law.

2861U2 said:
I think for the guy to say that it's just a way to promote silliness is ridiculous. If that's what he wants to do, there are a million other ways. I see not the slightest educational benefit from cross-dressing.

You think kids dressing like that for one day is cross dressing? So if you had kids you would never let them dress in clothes of the opposite sex, not once ever? What it means is put onto it by adults, not kids. It's play for kids- it's elementary school.

2861U2 said:
Are you saying that it's not OK to cross dress?

I'm more disgusted with encouraging them to dress up like old people.

Hopefully everyone is cool with dressing like other races and famous dictators as well. Then and only then, it's fun.

^Max Mosley would agree, I guess. :wink:

Interesting stuff people get worked up at.

MadelynIris said:
I'm more disgusted with encouraging them to dress up like old people.
Yeah that kind of bothered me too, actually.

Every time I hear a story like this I get really, really jealous of these parents. Imagine to have THAT much free time on your hands that this is what you concern yourself with! Wow, what a utopia their lives must be.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Because you think it's mocking the elderly in some way?
I can see a lot of potential for that in it, yes.
anitram said:
Every time I hear a story like this I get really, really jealous of these parents. Imagine to have THAT much free time on your hands that this is what you concern yourself with! Wow, what a utopia their lives must be.
Why are you assuming it's a parent who complained?

Back
Top Bottom