W. Viriginia town in shock with news 12 miners dead, not alive - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
is this what happens when coal executives spend lots of money on Republican politicians? looser regulatory and safety regimes? at what cost? how many lives must big business shatter?
Seriously, man. This isn't the time nor the place for that.

I still can't believe something like this happened. I can hardly imagine the grief that the families of the victims have gone through.

Old 01-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

You're 2 for 2 on this story already, taking shots at Christianity (in your journal) and Republicans here.
If you are secure in your belief/views why do you care?

Christians take shots at non-christians all the time and Republicans take shots at Dems and others too. What's the diff?

Quote:
Originally posted by XHendrix24

Seriously, man. This isn't the time nor the place for that.

So when is the right time? There are other coal mines, other miners -- still working, most likely in similar conditions. So every day we say it's not the "right" time is another day these people work in potentially fatal conditions. All because no one wants to talk about it right now.

The best way to honour these men is to make damned sure as few of their fellow miners have to die the same death as possible. And that means talking and thinking about it and coming up with and implementing solutions (and punishments if those solutions are skirted).

Old 01-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:55 PM
Perhaps an investigation into what caused the collapse, an assesment of the safety procedures and see if they were properly enacted or even had a chance too would prove a better time to allocate blame. Until all the facts are established throwing blame around is moot (for instance the tube shooting and those that took the official story hook line and sinker and said he deserved it).
Old 01-04-2006, 08:48 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

My heart genuinly feels for these families and the miners that have passed. Lets all hope and pray that the miners have reached a better place and that prayer and faith with help the grieving families.

It is unbelievable to me that in this day and age of technology that there is not another way to get coal....other than sending men down into the belly of the earth.

Government should really hamper down on these situations and make sure it is the safest envirnoment they can possibly have; considering it is one of our and the worlds greatest resources.

Such a tragic loss right after Christmas and New Years.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:21 PM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Perhaps an investigation into what caused the collapse, an assesment of the safety procedures and see if they were properly enacted or even had a chance too would prove a better time to allocate blame. Until all the facts are established throwing blame around is moot (for instance the tube shooting and those that took the official story hook line and sinker and said he deserved it).
Does anything ever come out of an investigation which would probably take years.....in the interim???

Old 01-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ah, yes. Back to the childish pictures. Perhaps we can move beyond the hyperbole, the cliche arguments and political talking points and actually discuss the facts of the issue.

You're 2 for 2 on this story already, taking shots at Christianity (in your journal) and Republicans here.

firstly, if you don't like my journal, don't read it. to bring the contents of that into this thread in order to make a point is pretty pathetic. i know you can do better, i do wish you'd try.

i'd also like to know what the cliches are -- or is it anything that doesn't agree with you by definition cliche and "shots" at someone or something? if you'd like, i can go through your top 5 responses to nearly any and all topics. i think you'd find that you're every bit as repetitive and cliched as anyone else.

secondly, go back and read the article. then get back to me.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Umm, can I step in between you two and ask for a time-out? If you have personal issues to discuss perhaps you can take it to PMs. In any case, bringing in what is posted in journals would seem to be irrelevant to what goes on in the forum.

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

the essential point remains -- republicans have a long history of being friendly to business, and much of that has been couched on the easing of rules and regulations for all kinds of industry, from environmental regulations to safety regulations. businesses like this because it helps their bottom line. yet, one of the many results of such "pro-business" legislation is that our environment becomes more contaminated and things become measurably less safe -- from the standard of drinking water to safety in mines.

i'm not suggestion causation, but i am pointing out a correlatory. i feel it's perfectly valid, and perfectly fit for discussion.

my journal, however, isn't.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:18 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Agreed. And to conduct an investigation people have to be willing to talk about and think about what went wrong. Because the longer people wait because it isn't the "right" time, the more potential there is for more occurrences such as this.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Agreed. And to conduct an investigation people have to be willing to talk about and think about what went wrong. Because the longer people wait because it isn't the "right" time, the more potential there is for more occurrences such as this.
Our lack of patience as a society is clearly seen in this case. The emotional nightmare experienced by the families was a direct result of eagerness to pass on any news without verification. We've already heard about the safety violations, but have no clear evidence that the violations led to the accident. Yet, the rush to demonize big business cannot be abated.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Umm, can I step in between you two and ask for a time-out? If you have personal issues to discuss perhaps you can take it to PMs. In any case, bringing in what is posted in journals would seem to be irrelevant to what goes on in the forum.

Thanks.
Fair enough on the journals.

I was hoping we wouldn't continue to see thread derailed on the same few points. Especially, without any factual connections.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:41 PM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

derailed?

try harder.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:23 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Our lack of patience as a society is clearly seen in this case. The emotional nightmare experienced by the families was a direct result of eagerness to pass on any news without verification. We've already heard about the safety violations, but have no clear evidence that the violations led to the accident. Yet, the rush to demonize big business cannot be abated.

Actually the emotional nightmare experienced by the families was caused by the deaths of their loved ones. The misinformation caused additional heartache, but the thing that caused the heartache had already occurred.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:30 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think it's a bit early to blame the Republican party for this.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:47 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:55 AM
In regards to the picture MrsSpringsteen posted with the paper headlines-at work tonight, our local paper had a similar headline. Even worse considering that this local paper comes out in the afternoon. This news hit late last night...you'd think they would've tried to change it this morning. At any rate, I feel sorry for anyone who's going to have to do some serious editing for tomorrow's papers...

As for who's responsible here, I see what both sides say about it all, but at the same time...indra is right, it's time for people on both sides to get really serious about making sure this sort of thing never happens again.

The town I live in is full of miners, too...needless to say, this story hit them particularly hard-they're already setting up donations in place and stuff to help the families of those who perished.

Angela