VP Cheney's daughter called a "big Lezzie" at Dean Fund Raiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:

No...it's called being polite. He didn't interrupt them on-stage, probably because he didn't want to make a scene.

Either way, it is apparent that people who hate Dean and the Democratic Party here will find nothing redeemable about either anyway, so should we really be shocked about these convenient "moral outrages" from Bush supporters?

Melon

He didn't have to rush the stage and kick anyone off...it could have been dealt with behind the scenes.

I'm all for political humor but focus on the actual candidates, not their wives and kids.

And for the record, I'm not a Republican or a Democrat and I don't hate anyone, regardless of what party they represent. I wouldn't say that I'm morally outraged either, I just think it was in poor taste.

Elvis Presley said:
While Dean was being "polite" these comedians were the ones making a scene that could have been pre-empted. Can you at least admit that if this were a pro-Bush event with the same results there would be more outrage?

Maybe I watch a lot of Comedy Central. I'm used to comedians being assholes. Frankly, I don't think Denis Leary is funny; he's just an asshole.

I do think of what I would have done in his place. Quite probably, he personally did not plan the event, but went along with it. If I heard these comments--and "big Lezzie" would certainly have set me off--what would I have done? I probably would have done something similar--fumed in my chair, waiting for it to be over, and then make my comments. I don't think his inaction until it was over is a judgment on his character necessarily. He might have, instead, found himself in a position he didn't bargain for, and, at the time, decided to sit through it. In hindsight, Dean might feel that he should have handled it differently.

I think it is certainly a good thing, however, that Dean was noticeably angered by the whole thing, rather than just gleefully laughing and clapping along. I think that shows more character than anything.

Melon

Agreed, at least he was angered by the whole thing. Maybe he should be a bit more "in the loop" on the content of such affairs, being that he catches most of the backlash.

That's the conundrum. With the scope of campaigns these days, it is impossible to be "in the loop" on everything. Of course, when there's backlash, you certainly do wish you were in the loop on that. People are human, and I do not think we should judge people on isolated incidents. I look at a person and a candidate on the basis of the whole.

I look at the whole of Bush, and I do not like what I see. Sure, it is very notable that he took some very big chances with the war on terrorism and succeeded, but I personally do not like how he infuses his brand of morality into politics--a brand of morality that I do not share, in spite of the fact that we are both Christian--and I do not like his spending habits. For all the hundreds of billions we spent, where is this money to repair our infrastructure? Our cities are gross, and, especially if you have seen cities like Toronto or the major European cities, you come to realize that rampant urban decay really *isn't* necessary.

I believe that we need a leader with vision. I don't know if Dean is that person yet, but I know that our current leader does not.

Melon

:huh: totally tasteless and the reason why none of them will seriously go anywhere!:mad: And I sure hope MY money did not go to any of that-I can think of better ways to spend my tax dollars!:madspit:

melon said:
That's the conundrum. With the scope of campaigns these days, it is impossible to be "in the loop" on everything. Of course, when there's backlash, you certainly do wish you were in the loop on that. People are human, and I do not think we should judge people on isolated incidents. I look at a person and a candidate on the basis of the whole.

I look at the whole of Bush, and I do not like what I see. Sure, it is very notable that he took some very big chances with the war on terrorism and succeeded, but I personally do not like how he infuses his brand of morality into politics--a brand of morality that I do not share, in spite of the fact that we are both Christian--and I do not like his spending habits. For all the hundreds of billions we spent, where is this money to repair our infrastructure? Our cities are gross, and, especially if you have seen cities like Toronto or the major European cities, you come to realize that rampant urban decay really *isn't* necessary.

I believe that we need a leader with vision. I don't know if Dean is that person yet, but I know that our current leader does not.

Melon

Melon, some excellent points here. While I do support Bush, I realize he has made mistakes and will make more. The alternative however (Gore), impressed me alot less.
Back on topic, why has the media chosen to mostly turn a deaf ear to this situation?

forbonou2 said:
:huh: totally tasteless and the reason why none of them will seriously go anywhere!:mad: And I sure hope MY money did not go to any of that-I can think of better ways to spend my tax dollars!:madspit:

Why would money collected from taxation have been used to pay for this event?

Ahhhh, I just wrote a whole post in response to this and then it didn't send so I lost it. :( Anyway, what I was going to say was...

If you ask me, Dean should have got up after those comments and stated that homophobia or any other form of bigotry is unwelcome in his campaign. The "big lezzie" comment is nothing but vile homophobia and should not be tolerated.

That said, I do agree with melon's points and I'm glad to hear that at least Dean was angry about the remarks. However, I think even if he wasn't able to interrupt or prevent the comments being made in the first place, he should have included a condemnation of homophobia and other prejudice in his remarks at this event.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
The "big lezzie" comment is nothing but vile homophobia and should not be tolerated.

Unless Sandra Bernhardt was the one who said it, and it sounds like something she would say. She is a lesbian (or perhaps bi, I'm not sure anymore) who talks that way and even though I too think it's vile I would expect no more from her. It's not clear who said what or the context for any of this and since the media wasn't there, who knows what really happened.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It says nothing about him as a potential leader. These are sucessful mainstream comics. What they say doesn't reflect him as a leader.

Wrong. These comments were made at a fundraiser for his campagin for the presidenicy of the United States. It says PLEANTY about him as a potential leader. Character, something dems seem lack these days.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'll defend free speech, even if it's something I don't paticularly like. Plus you're reading a biased article with quotes not given in context.

I'll defend free speech too. However, this was not Comedy Central or whatever. As I stated before, this was a fundraiser for a presidential candidate. There's a time and a place for everything. This situation was a time and a place for Dean to stand up and show his true character, which I believe he did.

This isn't the first time Dean has either said or been involved in something innappropiate. :shifty: I'll have to go back to find exactly what he said about getting in touch with the "confederate flag in truck window of southern voter's - something like that. This fund raiser business, if it's true, does make me furious. I believe it will come out if it was that bad. Matter of fact I am sending the article to someone in the Democratic party of Alabama to see if they can find out more about it. I love a good joke as well as the next person and even send some jokes around to co workers - but I do not listen to or participate in the telling of ethnic jokes and slurs and find this repugnant. If this is the kind of person he is I certainly wouldn't vote for him even if the party does nominate him. I won't vote for Bush either, but I can still write in my choice. Who ever that is?? :shrug:

Last edited:
wolfwill23 said:

Wrong. These comments were made at a fundraiser for his campagin for the presidenicy of the United States. It says PLEANTY about him as a potential leader. Character, something dems seem lack these days.

I'll defend free speech too. However, this was not Comedy Central or whatever. As I stated before, this was a fundraiser for a presidential candidate. There's a time and a place for everything. This situation was a time and a place for Dean to stand up and show his true character, which I believe he did.

So he's suppose to censor them? This is what it comes down to. Either he or the comedians themselves censor what's being said. So because it's his fundraiser, it's up to him to censor?

I love how everyone is making character judgements and they haven't even read a full transcript.

I made a comment in here about a quote several months back only to realize it was taken out of context, I learned my lesson. I've been very careful since then. I wish everyone would exercise the same restraint.

I'm not saying I'm a Dean fan or a fan of any of these comedians, but I'm not going to judge someone's character based on this.

verte76 said:
I have this impending sense of the Election from Hell 2004. It's not going to be pretty, to say the least. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Oh, good god, I hope that won't be the case...:uhoh:...

Originally posted by DrTeeth
you'd think people would pay some more attention to the serious issues.

Yeah, that'd be awfully nice, wouldn't it?

I must agree with melon and BonoVoxSupastar on this one. :up:.

Angela

Angela Harlem said:
Are Bush and Dean really the best each party could pull for this coming election?

Sheesus...I feel for you Americans...:uhoh:

That's what I mean by the Election From Hell. Ugh. I'd prefer to respect the candidates more. We're voting for a leader and this is the best we can come up with? Damn. :mad: :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored:

sue4u2 said:
This isn't the first time Dean has either said or been involved in something innappropiate. :shifty: I'll have to go back to find exactly what he said about getting in touch with the "confederate flag in truck window of southern voter's - something like that. This fund raiser business, if it's true, does make me furious. I believe it will come out if it was that bad. Matter of fact I am sending the article to someone in the Democratic party of Alabama to see if they can find out more about it. I love a good joke as well as the next person and even send some jokes around to co workers - but I do not listen to or participate in the telling of ethnic jokes and slurs and find this repugnant. If this is the kind of person he is I certainly wouldn't vote for him even if the party does nominate him. I won't vote for Bush either, but I can still write in my choice. Who ever that is?? :shrug:

Sue, let me know what the guy's response is OK? I don't think this is trivia. This is issues of gender, issues that are pretty damned important to me. I want to know what our party leaders are saying about this. They need to face it, not duck it.

Angela Harlem said:
Are Bush and Dean really the best each party could pull for this coming election?

Sheesus...I feel for you Americans...:uhoh:
let both of them drop their pants
we'll get out a ruler and will decide who is the better man right now

oh, you said election

same difference

I say this nation is fucked regardless.

I have no hope from any of our idiotic leaders or leader-wannabes.

Melon

verte76 said:

Sue, let me know what the guy's response is OK? I don't think this is trivia. This is issues of gender, issues that are pretty damned important to me. I want to know what our party leaders are saying about this. They need to face it, not duck it.

I want to know also, Verte.. This is a woman I am talking too and I'll be speaking with her tomorrow. I spoke with her last night and the article has been forwarded but she has family members in for the weekend. I'll let you know.

I have to agree with Bonovox's point:
"I love how everyone is making character judgements and they haven't even read a full transcript."

Is there even a transcript at all? Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see.. (or, something like that)
I can't believe even half of what I see most of the time.

Last edited:
Ummm, you all are quoting an article from the NY Post?!?! Hahahaha! And you don't think that an opinion piece from an admittedly conservative "journalist" in an admittedly conservative news paper isn't going to paint things in the worst possible light?

The republicans are spewing stuff like this for lack of any real dirt on Dean. I'm sick and tired of reading crap like this, only to find out it was either blown out of proportion (or even outright lies) a few months down the road. They did the same thing in 2000 with Al Gore. Hell, I know people who still think that Al Gore claimed to have invented the Internet.

Stuff like this is a really effective campaign weapon (as obvious by this thread). People run with this stuff, and by the time it gets rebuked, it's already been accepted as fact by half the country. The only redeeming factor in this case is that pretty much anyone who would bother reading the NY Post is already a steadfast Bush supporter.

Still, I'm surprised they brought up the sealing of any records, since Bush himself is the master of records sealing. He has sealed his own records as Gov of Texas, as well as his dad's and Ronnie Reagan's presidential records, the latter against federal law. Of course had he not done that, a good portion of his current staff would have a LOT of questions to answer, since many of them were Reagan era employees.

And now I've broken my promise to myself not to post in this forum. :grumpy:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
for an american to say this nation is "fucked" is an insult to the entire continent of africa, amongst others...

It's called pessimism. You're right compared to Africa we've got it pretty damn good. The issue as per the U.S. is concerned is how we view our leadership, and what standards and values we use to look at it. Obviously we will not all agree on this stuff. If we did we wouldn't need democracy.

(joining this thread late, but...)

I'm really disappointed in Dean. I agree that if he was really "livid," he should have gotten up and stopped the remarks. It was his event and he would have had every right to do so. There is already some evidence that this harsh, "in-your-face" approach is not working (positively enough) with very young voters, around 18-26. While I think it's a good sign that voters my age don't like this crap, it also means that Dean is going to lose support among young voters--and the most likely person for him to lose them to is not Gephardt or Kerry, but Bush. He's undermining himself and I'm very disheartened by this. I can't defend it at all, not when HE WAS THERE and did nothing to stop it. It would be different if he wasn't there and didn't know what was happening.

Back
Top Bottom