VP Cheney's daughter called a "big Lezzie" at Dean Fund Raiser - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2003, 02:23 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:53 AM

On a related subject...

(If we're talking about where and by what means politicans have "rallys" then i guess it does relate.)

How the "The People's Governor" avoids the people

Old 12-17-2003, 02:56 PM   #32
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

No...it's called being polite. He didn't interrupt them on-stage, probably because he didn't want to make a scene.

Either way, it is apparent that people who hate Dean and the Democratic Party here will find nothing redeemable about either anyway, so should we really be shocked about these convenient "moral outrages" from Bush supporters?

Melon

He didn't have to rush the stage and kick anyone off...it could have been dealt with behind the scenes.

I'm all for political humor but focus on the actual candidates, not their wives and kids.

And for the record, I'm not a Republican or a Democrat and I don't hate anyone, regardless of what party they represent. I wouldn't say that I'm morally outraged either, I just think it was in poor taste.

Old 12-17-2003, 02:58 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis Presley
While Dean was being "polite" these comedians were the ones making a scene that could have been pre-empted. Can you at least admit that if this were a pro-Bush event with the same results there would be more outrage?
Maybe I watch a lot of Comedy Central. I'm used to comedians being assholes. Frankly, I don't think Denis Leary is funny; he's just an asshole.

I do think of what I would have done in his place. Quite probably, he personally did not plan the event, but went along with it. If I heard these comments--and "big Lezzie" would certainly have set me off--what would I have done? I probably would have done something similar--fumed in my chair, waiting for it to be over, and then make my comments. I don't think his inaction until it was over is a judgment on his character necessarily. He might have, instead, found himself in a position he didn't bargain for, and, at the time, decided to sit through it. In hindsight, Dean might feel that he should have handled it differently.

I think it is certainly a good thing, however, that Dean was noticeably angered by the whole thing, rather than just gleefully laughing and clapping along. I think that shows more character than anything.

Melon
Old 12-17-2003, 03:23 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Agreed, at least he was angered by the whole thing. Maybe he should be a bit more "in the loop" on the content of such affairs, being that he catches most of the backlash.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:34 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

That's the conundrum. With the scope of campaigns these days, it is impossible to be "in the loop" on everything. Of course, when there's backlash, you certainly do wish you were in the loop on that. People are human, and I do not think we should judge people on isolated incidents. I look at a person and a candidate on the basis of the whole.

I look at the whole of Bush, and I do not like what I see. Sure, it is very notable that he took some very big chances with the war on terrorism and succeeded, but I personally do not like how he infuses his brand of morality into politics--a brand of morality that I do not share, in spite of the fact that we are both Christian--and I do not like his spending habits. For all the hundreds of billions we spent, where is this money to repair our infrastructure? Our cities are gross, and, especially if you have seen cities like Toronto or the major European cities, you come to realize that rampant urban decay really *isn't* necessary.

I believe that we need a leader with vision. I don't know if Dean is that person yet, but I know that our current leader does not.

Melon
Old 12-17-2003, 04:11 PM   #36
Refugee

Local Time: 08:53 AM
totally tasteless and the reason why none of them will seriously go anywhere! And I sure hope MY money did not go to any of that-I can think of better ways to spend my tax dollars!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:14 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
That's the conundrum. With the scope of campaigns these days, it is impossible to be "in the loop" on everything. Of course, when there's backlash, you certainly do wish you were in the loop on that. People are human, and I do not think we should judge people on isolated incidents. I look at a person and a candidate on the basis of the whole.

I look at the whole of Bush, and I do not like what I see. Sure, it is very notable that he took some very big chances with the war on terrorism and succeeded, but I personally do not like how he infuses his brand of morality into politics--a brand of morality that I do not share, in spite of the fact that we are both Christian--and I do not like his spending habits. For all the hundreds of billions we spent, where is this money to repair our infrastructure? Our cities are gross, and, especially if you have seen cities like Toronto or the major European cities, you come to realize that rampant urban decay really *isn't* necessary.

I believe that we need a leader with vision. I don't know if Dean is that person yet, but I know that our current leader does not.

Melon
Melon, some excellent points here. While I do support Bush, I realize he has made mistakes and will make more. The alternative however (Gore), impressed me alot less.
Back on topic, why has the media chosen to mostly turn a deaf ear to this situation?
Old 12-17-2003, 06:03 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

The cameras and video tapes were not allowed into the event.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:24 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by forbonou2
totally tasteless and the reason why none of them will seriously go anywhere! And I sure hope MY money did not go to any of that-I can think of better ways to spend my tax dollars!
Why would money collected from taxation have been used to pay for this event?
Old 12-17-2003, 06:27 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Ahhhh, I just wrote a whole post in response to this and then it didn't send so I lost it. Anyway, what I was going to say was...

If you ask me, Dean should have got up after those comments and stated that homophobia or any other form of bigotry is unwelcome in his campaign. The "big lezzie" comment is nothing but vile homophobia and should not be tolerated.

That said, I do agree with melon's points and I'm glad to hear that at least Dean was angry about the remarks. However, I think even if he wasn't able to interrupt or prevent the comments being made in the first place, he should have included a condemnation of homophobia and other prejudice in his remarks at this event.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:46 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

I have this impending sense of the Election from Hell 2004. It's not going to be pretty, to say the least.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:11 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
The "big lezzie" comment is nothing but vile homophobia and should not be tolerated.
Unless Sandra Bernhardt was the one who said it, and it sounds like something she would say. She is a lesbian (or perhaps bi, I'm not sure anymore) who talks that way and even though I too think it's vile I would expect no more from her. It's not clear who said what or the context for any of this and since the media wasn't there, who knows what really happened.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:53 PM   #43
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

It says nothing about him as a potential leader. These are sucessful mainstream comics. What they say doesn't reflect him as a leader.
Wrong. These comments were made at a fundraiser for his campagin for the presidenicy of the United States. It says PLEANTY about him as a potential leader. Character, something dems seem lack these days.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I'll defend free speech, even if it's something I don't paticularly like. Plus you're reading a biased article with quotes not given in context.
I'll defend free speech too. However, this was not Comedy Central or whatever. As I stated before, this was a fundraiser for a presidential candidate. There's a time and a place for everything. This situation was a time and a place for Dean to stand up and show his true character, which I believe he did.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:16 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This isn't the first time Dean has either said or been involved in something innappropiate. I'll have to go back to find exactly what he said about getting in touch with the "confederate flag in truck window of southern voter's - something like that. This fund raiser business, if it's true, does make me furious. I believe it will come out if it was that bad. Matter of fact I am sending the article to someone in the Democratic party of Alabama to see if they can find out more about it. I love a good joke as well as the next person and even send some jokes around to co workers - but I do not listen to or participate in the telling of ethnic jokes and slurs and find this repugnant. If this is the kind of person he is I certainly wouldn't vote for him even if the party does nominate him. I won't vote for Bush either, but I can still write in my choice. Who ever that is??
Old 12-17-2003, 11:45 PM   #45
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfwill23

Wrong. These comments were made at a fundraiser for his campagin for the presidenicy of the United States. It says PLEANTY about him as a potential leader. Character, something dems seem lack these days.

I'll defend free speech too. However, this was not Comedy Central or whatever. As I stated before, this was a fundraiser for a presidential candidate. There's a time and a place for everything. This situation was a time and a place for Dean to stand up and show his true character, which I believe he did.
So he's suppose to censor them? This is what it comes down to. Either he or the comedians themselves censor what's being said. So because it's his fundraiser, it's up to him to censor?

I love how everyone is making character judgements and they haven't even read a full transcript.

I made a comment in here about a quote several months back only to realize it was taken out of context, I learned my lesson. I've been very careful since then. I wish everyone would exercise the same restraint.

I'm not saying I'm a Dean fan or a fan of any of these comedians, but I'm not going to judge someone's character based on this.