Voter fraud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ft. Worth Frog

Acrobat
Why is it that ID is not required when voting? I have to show ID for many other things that are less important than voting. It is so easy to commit fraud and I just do not see how having this as a requirement is "disfranchising" people. Of course, it would disfranchise those who "vote early and often" or are dead, but I think that would be ok. Other countries have ways to halt voter fraud but not here. What does everyone think about all this?

Does the united states actually have a proper and independent electoral organization. Taking this stuff out of the hands of the parties would be ideal for that. Democracy is much too serious a matter to leave in the hands of politicians.

Checking IDs would be called voter intimidation is some areas.

And the idea of a non-partisian organization seems hopelessly distant.

nbcrusader said:
Checking IDs would be called voter intimidation is some areas.

And the idea of a non-partisian organization seems hopelessly distant.
The whiners will find and do what ever they can to deter the process.

It takes me 45 min. longer for my car to pass smog emmissions w/all the identification checking on my automobile.
What's the problem w/identifying yourselves at the polling place, unless you're Mary Popkins or Batman?

Identifying one's self is only intimidating to a dishonest person.

db9

Disappointed with how the American presidential election concluded? Apparently, Bush was disappointed, too! Whether or not you value "liberal" news sources, pay attention to the hard numbers and facts presented in the articles below. Then, ask yourself, “Do I value democracy?”

Articles:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1106-30.htm
http://www.wired.com/news/evote/0,2645,65623,00.html
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041105/D865R1DO0.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlate...4598911,00.html
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c.../05flavote.html
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/3892151/detail.html
http://www.thehill.com/morris/110404.aspx

SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD!

Oh, not only that, I heard people turned away for not having ID on them! On one story on my news, a woman who had been in line for a long time was sent back to her car to find ID, and when she returned, they told her the polls were closed and she was not allowed to vote, even though she told what happened and the pollster lady stuck up for her!

I had to show an ID in Alabama, but in some states it is actually against the law to require an ID at the ballot box. Strange.

I was a first-time voter and didn't, but I had my driver's license and voting card with me. We had to fill out a slip and then the poll workers match what you wrote with what's on their list and if it doesn't match, I guess you'd have to have to show your voter's card and other ID.

I was actually surprised how easy it was to register to vote. I don't even recall filling in a SSN on that app.

I've never shown ID, but everyone knows me (hell, they know everyone in the damned county), so it never seemed strange. Don't have a voter registration care either. They just find my name in the book and I sign in, then go vote.

I walk in, give them my street address and tell them my name. The check me in. I vote, then I go to another table and tell them my street address and name and they check me out. No ID required.

When I voted here in Australia you didn't need any id. They just ask your name, street address, and whether you've already voted anywhere else (I'd like to see someone say yes!). But voter fraud has never been much of an issue here. I think with compulsory voting it would probably be really hard to do, and wouldn't make a sufficient impact to be worthwhile.

On that note, what are people's opinions on compulsory voting. Personally I think it should be a democratic requirement - that way the government truly does represent the majority of the population. And if you want to lodge a protest vote (ie write your ideas about how the political system could be improved or whatever) ok, so your vote will be invalid, but the inspectors have to check all the votes, so you can be guaranteed someone will take notice of what you've written.

Lastly, here in Oz we heard stories of people lining up for hours and hours to vote in America. Why does this happen in a country where only a certain percentage of the population votes, whereas here, where everyone votes, I was able to walk straight into a polling booth, get my name checked off, vote, and walk out without having to wait at all.

I disagree, compulsory voting is forcing people to do something; I think violates peoples right not to vote. The single advantage to compulsory voting is that there is no such thing as disenfranchised voters.

That's fair enough, I can see your point. BUT if you use that logic, then you would ban things like compulsory schooling, coz you shouldn't be forced to get an education. And like I said, even with compulsory voting you can still chose to cast an invalid vote, you just have to rock up to the polling booths, and with an efficient voting system that's no big deal - you can even cast a postal vote or similar if that's more convenient.,

Education is more of a welfare issue, but voting is something that is a responsibility that comes when you are of a certain age, if people do not want to use that responsibility then a good case can be made not to force them to. The most glaring hole I think is the lack of consistent systems across the US, all those different ballots and systems plus allowing the parties themselves to register voters is asking for trouble, all registrations should be done through an independent organization and have consistent systems approved across the board.

So if voting in the US could be made consistent, regulated etc would you be more supportive of compulsory voting?

I find it interesting that the US is meant to be a model democracy, and yet something so fundamental to democracy like the voting process can be so flawed.

I just do not believe that compulsory voting is inherently a sign of a good democracy, there are a lot of good liberal democracies without compulsory voting that get on just fine, the US isn't perfect but it is far from the worst systems out there, I wouldn't call it flawed.

We are both Australian, both of us have to go up to sign our names off, but most of my friends at uni are just so apathetic about it all. A properly working democracy will have people turn out and vote by their own free will.

Last edited:
wait, you HAVE to go vote in Australia? I dunno about that -- if someone doesn't educate themselves about the issues and have no idea how government affects them, I don't want them to vote. Many of them would have voted for Bush or whoever just because they were incumbent. It may be alot easier with a multi-party system than a two-party system.

As for IDs, I think they should be required. I knew IDs were going to be required here in NYC, which is why I took mine -- they required them for anyone who has registered within the past two years as a way to cut back on voter fraud. For that reason, I had no problem with it. I had nothing to hide.

Technically you do not actually have to vote, but you have to turn up and get your name ticked off at polling station from then on you can just doodle on the form and stick it in the box. So as one imagines the ammount of apathy towards polititcs can be found in this huge buffer of voters who just don't give a stuff. In America people that vote are going to be a lot more passionate about their politics overall, so it seems to rally a lot more of a partisan divide, on election day here all the people giving out "how to vote" forms for their particular party were just sitting at a table with stacks of 3; Labor, Liberal and Green.

BostonAnne said:
I walk in, give them my street address and tell them my name. The check me in. I vote, then I go to another table and tell them my street address and name and they check me out. No ID required.

I think that is dangerous, really. Anyone who knows your name and address could walk in and vote in your name. I wonder if this has ever happened to a person. I'm glad my state makes you show ID.

A_Wanderer said:
I just do not believe that compulsory voting is inherently a sign of a good democracy, there are a lot of good liberal democracies without compulsory voting that get on just fine

:yes: And there are a lot of bad "democracies" WITH compulsory voting that still only get like 60-70% valid votes (people can spoil their ballots, etc).

in new york i belive the rule is if it's your first time voting you have to show ID... if it's not your first time, you just have to sign your name... they have your signiture from when you first registered to vote printed on the sheet next to where you sign in... they compare the signitures, and they can ask for a liscense if they feel you're not who you say you are based on the signiture... i think that's how it works.

They changed it a bit this year, Headache. If you registered in the past two years, you had to show ID. Although I don't know how they would know when I registered -- it didn't seem to be on the sheet when I signed in. I did sign in at 6:30am so I also may not have been paying attention.

Back
Top Bottom