Voter fraud - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2004, 06:41 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Voter fraud

Why is it that ID is not required when voting? I have to show ID for many other things that are less important than voting. It is so easy to commit fraud and I just do not see how having this as a requirement is "disfranchising" people. Of course, it would disfranchise those who "vote early and often" or are dead, but I think that would be ok. Other countries have ways to halt voter fraud but not here. What does everyone think about all this?

Old 10-27-2004, 06:43 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:58 PM
Does the united states actually have a proper and independent electoral organization. Taking this stuff out of the hands of the parties would be ideal for that. Democracy is much too serious a matter to leave in the hands of politicians.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:53 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Checking IDs would be called voter intimidation is some areas.

And the idea of a non-partisian organization seems hopelessly distant.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:59 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Checking IDs would be called voter intimidation is some areas.

And the idea of a non-partisian organization seems hopelessly distant.
The whiners will find and do what ever they can to deter the process.

It takes me 45 min. longer for my car to pass smog emmissions w/all the identification checking on my automobile.
What's the problem w/identifying yourselves at the polling place, unless you're Mary Popkins or Batman?

Identifying one's self is only intimidating to a dishonest person.

db9
Old 11-07-2004, 04:54 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 07:58 AM
Disappointed with how the American presidential election concluded? Apparently, Bush was disappointed, too! Whether or not you value "liberal" news sources, pay attention to the hard numbers and facts presented in the articles below. Then, ask yourself, “Do I value democracy?”

Articles:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1106-30.htm
http://www.wired.com/news/evote/0,2645,65623,00.html
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041105/D865R1DO0.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlate...4598911,00.html
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c.../05flavote.html
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/3892151/detail.html
http://www.thehill.com/morris/110404.aspx

SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD! SHARE THE WORD! SAVE THE WORLD!
Old 11-07-2004, 04:55 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Democracy is dead when my guy doesn't win.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:58 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I have had to show my ID for years You mean you all don't?
Old 11-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, not only that, I heard people turned away for not having ID on them! On one story on my news, a woman who had been in line for a long time was sent back to her car to find ID, and when she returned, they told her the polls were closed and she was not allowed to vote, even though she told what happened and the pollster lady stuck up for her!
Old 11-07-2004, 05:08 PM   #9
Acrobat

i also have always had to show id. i guess it's a state-by-state or precinct-by-precinct thing...
Old 11-07-2004, 05:29 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I had to show an ID in Alabama, but in some states it is actually against the law to require an ID at the ballot box. Strange.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:00 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

I was a first-time voter and didn't, but I had my driver's license and voting card with me. We had to fill out a slip and then the poll workers match what you wrote with what's on their list and if it doesn't match, I guess you'd have to have to show your voter's card and other ID.

I was actually surprised how easy it was to register to vote. I don't even recall filling in a SSN on that app.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:03 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:58 AM
I've never shown ID, but everyone knows me (hell, they know everyone in the damned county), so it never seemed strange. Don't have a voter registration care either. They just find my name in the book and I sign in, then go vote.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:18 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 03:58 AM
I walk in, give them my street address and tell them my name. The check me in. I vote, then I go to another table and tell them my street address and name and they check me out. No ID required.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:31 PM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 05:28 PM
When I voted here in Australia you didn't need any id. They just ask your name, street address, and whether you've already voted anywhere else (I'd like to see someone say yes!). But voter fraud has never been much of an issue here. I think with compulsory voting it would probably be really hard to do, and wouldn't make a sufficient impact to be worthwhile.

On that note, what are people's opinions on compulsory voting. Personally I think it should be a democratic requirement - that way the government truly does represent the majority of the population. And if you want to lodge a protest vote (ie write your ideas about how the political system could be improved or whatever) ok, so your vote will be invalid, but the inspectors have to check all the votes, so you can be guaranteed someone will take notice of what you've written.

Lastly, here in Oz we heard stories of people lining up for hours and hours to vote in America. Why does this happen in a country where only a certain percentage of the population votes, whereas here, where everyone votes, I was able to walk straight into a polling booth, get my name checked off, vote, and walk out without having to wait at all.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:42 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

I disagree, compulsory voting is forcing people to do something; I think violates peoples right not to vote. The single advantage to compulsory voting is that there is no such thing as disenfranchised voters.