Voter fraud - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2004, 06:52 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 09:16 PM
That's fair enough, I can see your point. BUT if you use that logic, then you would ban things like compulsory schooling, coz you shouldn't be forced to get an education. And like I said, even with compulsory voting you can still chose to cast an invalid vote, you just have to rock up to the polling booths, and with an efficient voting system that's no big deal - you can even cast a postal vote or similar if that's more convenient.,

Old 11-07-2004, 06:58 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Education is more of a welfare issue, but voting is something that is a responsibility that comes when you are of a certain age, if people do not want to use that responsibility then a good case can be made not to force them to. The most glaring hole I think is the lack of consistent systems across the US, all those different ballots and systems plus allowing the parties themselves to register voters is asking for trouble, all registrations should be done through an independent organization and have consistent systems approved across the board.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:13 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 09:16 PM
So if voting in the US could be made consistent, regulated etc would you be more supportive of compulsory voting?

I find it interesting that the US is meant to be a model democracy, and yet something so fundamental to democracy like the voting process can be so flawed.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:17 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

I just do not believe that compulsory voting is inherently a sign of a good democracy, there are a lot of good liberal democracies without compulsory voting that get on just fine, the US isn't perfect but it is far from the worst systems out there, I wouldn't call it flawed.

We are both Australian, both of us have to go up to sign our names off, but most of my friends at uni are just so apathetic about it all. A properly working democracy will have people turn out and vote by their own free will.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:03 PM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:46 AM
wait, you HAVE to go vote in Australia? I dunno about that -- if someone doesn't educate themselves about the issues and have no idea how government affects them, I don't want them to vote. Many of them would have voted for Bush or whoever just because they were incumbent. It may be alot easier with a multi-party system than a two-party system.

As for IDs, I think they should be required. I knew IDs were going to be required here in NYC, which is why I took mine -- they required them for anyone who has registered within the past two years as a way to cut back on voter fraud. For that reason, I had no problem with it. I had nothing to hide.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:13 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Technically you do not actually have to vote, but you have to turn up and get your name ticked off at polling station from then on you can just doodle on the form and stick it in the box. So as one imagines the ammount of apathy towards polititcs can be found in this huge buffer of voters who just don't give a stuff. In America people that vote are going to be a lot more passionate about their politics overall, so it seems to rally a lot more of a partisan divide, on election day here all the people giving out "how to vote" forms for their particular party were just sitting at a table with stacks of 3; Labor, Liberal and Green.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:33 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
I walk in, give them my street address and tell them my name. The check me in. I vote, then I go to another table and tell them my street address and name and they check me out. No ID required.
I think that is dangerous, really. Anyone who knows your name and address could walk in and vote in your name. I wonder if this has ever happened to a person. I'm glad my state makes you show ID.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:43 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I just do not believe that compulsory voting is inherently a sign of a good democracy, there are a lot of good liberal democracies without compulsory voting that get on just fine
And there are a lot of bad "democracies" WITH compulsory voting that still only get like 60-70% valid votes (people can spoil their ballots, etc).
Old 11-08-2004, 08:49 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

in new york i belive the rule is if it's your first time voting you have to show ID... if it's not your first time, you just have to sign your name... they have your signiture from when you first registered to vote printed on the sheet next to where you sign in... they compare the signitures, and they can ask for a liscense if they feel you're not who you say you are based on the signiture... i think that's how it works.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:12 PM   #25
New Yorker

They changed it a bit this year, Headache. If you registered in the past two years, you had to show ID. Although I don't know how they would know when I registered -- it didn't seem to be on the sheet when I signed in. I did sign in at 6:30am so I also may not have been paying attention.