Vote: Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Between These Two, Who Would You Vote For?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 47 70.1%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 20 29.9%

• Total voters
low voter turn out means we'll be seeing more of this
74132870_91fe081968_m.jpg

that's not gonna be good for anybody.

Chizip said:

but shouldn't apathy been seen as a message about the political system? i don't blame voters for being apathetic when the choice they are given is between a punch in the face or a kick in the nuts. the blame should be placed on a system that doesn't provide enough quality choices that inspire people to get off their ass and vote.

i dont see low voter turnout as public laziness, i see it as a failure of the political system.

True, it's a reflection of a failed political system, but it will often empower the worse of the two evils.

I mean I'd take the punch in the face anyday then the kick in the nuts. Sure the punch will hurt and it may mess up my pretty face for awhile, but if I can avoid any permanant damage downstairs then I'm better off in the long run.

Chizip said:

but shouldn't apathy been seen as a message about the political system? i don't blame voters for being apathetic when the choice they are given is between a punch in the face or a kick in the nuts. the blame should be placed on a system that doesn't provide enough quality choices that inspire people to get off their ass and vote.

i dont see low voter turnout as public laziness, i see it as a failure of the political system.

But until the voters decide that the Swift Boat Idiots, and the tabloid style reporting, and the dirty ads won't affect them, we're going to continue to get the candidates we deserve. Everyone wrings their hands at all the stuff, but it turns out to work. Until we decide it won't work anymore, it's a choice between the face and the nuts.

martha said:

But until the voters decide that the Swift Boat Idiots, and the tabloid style reporting, and the dirty ads won't affect them, we're going to continue to get the candidates we deserve. Everyone wrings their hands at all the stuff, but it turns out to work.

and with that said, look what we currently have.. does anyone really want to say " I didn't vote..because.." I didn't like blah blah blah... has not voting changed the country in any way..
This is the system we have now..
You can't change ANYTHING! if you just sit it out.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

not for nothing, but what exactly is wrong with influential people in popular culture trying (albeit failing) to use their influence to get young people to vote?

nothing. but puff daddy, poppa doody, or whatever he calls himself now isn't exactly influential. there was a lot of outreach to get the young people to vote. but...those commercials were just silly. among my students, they were a joke, just like puff is.

sue4u2 said:

and with that said, look what we currently have.. does anyone really want to say " I didn't vote..because.." I didn't like blah blah blah... has not voting changed the country in any way..
This is the system we have now..
You can't change ANYTHING! if you just sit it out.
You can't change anything if you vote for a shitty candidate.

martha said:

When was the last time the Republicans talked about anything but terrorism?

The Republicans always discuss multiple issues as well as terrorism. The point I was making was I don't believe the Democrats have actually won an election on the issues you mentioned.

meegannie said:

A low voter turnout would just be interpreted as apathy (as it is now). I would prefer it if there were a "none of the above" option.

Voter turnout is usually lower during times of relative calm, when the country is not involved in a major war and the economy is doing very well. The 2004 election had one of the highest voter turnouts for an election in many years, as well as the highest number of voters, voting in history. An election that Bush won, I might add. Voter turnout in the 2006 congressional election was 33% less than the 2004 presidential election.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

People will vote if they think whats it stake is important. They may not be thrilled about their specific choices, but they know its important to decide. For some it might be picking the "lesser of two evils". The 2004 Presidential election had such a high turnout because people thought the issues were important to the country. The issues impacting the country, rather than the candidates, is what really motivates people to vote.

Its interesting to see how much Barack Obama has dominated this poll. Its in direct contrast to how Hillary Clinton is doing in the polls against Barack Obama where she is opening up a solid double digit lead. But then again FYM is indeed politicaly on the left side of the fence, so its not too surprising given that Hillary Clinton is the more conservative candidate. The voting totals are actually similar to how Bush did in the FYM poll against Kerry in 2004 I think.

martha said:

Because the damn Republicans have convinced them that the terroists are coming to kill them!

I meant historically, even going back before 9/11.

martha said:

Because the damn Republicans have convinced them that the terroists are coming to kill them!

That's better. Stop making things complicated. It's easier if you stick to the buzzwords, Martha. Terr-or-ism, terr-or-ist, WMD (weapons of, is too long), Ee-vil. Axis of, if you want to intellectualise your buzzwords.

OK?

:hug:

I hope for Obama, i am sick of those family president dynastie`s . I mean,...the Bushies and the Clinton`s are in power for how long now ?

STING2 said:
Its interesting to see how much Barack Obama has dominated this poll. Its in direct contrast to how Hillary Clinton is doing in the polls against Barack Obama where she is opening up a solid double digit lead.

A lot of non-Americans have voted in the FYM poll, as opposed to the official polls.

Last edited:
STING2 said:

When was the last time the Democrats won an election with those issues?

1992, when Clinton beat Bush.

"Oil companies fucking us all over" meant that the US economy was suffering and job creation was stagnant. Clinton ran on a platform of regulating oil prices through international standards.

"Health care failing miserably" meant that the country was sick of poor health care, and Clinton ran on a campaign of massive healthcare reform. After he won, Hillary led the project in 1993, but the Republicans beat it back. Hillary achieved smaller health care success several years later, when federal law was expanded to give health care coverage to 5 million more US kids.

"Constitutional rights being trampled" meant that free speech was under attack in 1992. Republicans attacked artists, including NEA grant recipient Robert Mapplethorpe. The White House blasted Ice T's lyrics to "Cop Killer" and Vice President Quayle called on Hollywood and the music industry to reform. Clinton promised voters to appoint judges who protected first Amendment rights.

^^^^ Exactly! And to add to the economy issue, we all rememeber this don't we? " IT'S THE ECONOMY STUPID"
It's really sad that once again the deficit is so far off the charts in the red people can't begin to grasp it. All China has to do is say PAY UP and we are all screwed.
Remember the good ole days when there was a SURPLUS?
Didn't take long for the Bushies to destroy that legacy now did it?
There is so much more the dems or any 3rd party candidate could run on to blow the neo-cons out of the water, they just need to get organized and focused with the message.

BARAK the VOTE!:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom