Vote: Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Between These Two, Who Would You Vote For?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 47 70.1%
  • Hillary Clinton

Votes: 20 29.9%

• Total voters
2861U2 said:
The best thing that could possibly happen for the Republicans is if Hillary got the nomination. It would be smooth sailing the rest of the way, IMO.

Keep telling yourself that.

I have serious reservations about Hillary for a number of reasons. But this idea that she is not electable is nonsense.

anitram said:

Keep telling yourself that.

I have serious reservations about Hillary for a number of reasons. But this idea that she is not electable is nonsense.

That's right. Many people in Germany never thought Angela Merkel would ever become our Chancellor. But Schroeder managed to crack it up. :(

2861U2 said:
The best thing that could possibly happen for the Republicans is if Hillary got the nomination. It would be smooth sailing the rest of the way, IMO.

Yes, Hillary will stir more anti-voting than any other dem candidate, but it won't be enough. In the last two elections, republicans had a huge evangelical turnout and drew half the independent vote... and they still just barely won.

Without a true conservative in the running, evangelicals will stay home in significant numbers. And the independent voters are breaking 60-40 to the dems right now.

That could change, but if it doesn't, Hillary won't even need the south to win.

LPU2 said:

Without a true conservative in the running, evangelicals will stay home in significant numbers.

Thats probably true, unfortunately. I'm still holding out for Newt or Fred, which evangelicals would love. If neither gets in the race (unlikely), I'll still go for Rudy, assuming he wins the GOP.

I think Republicans, like the Dems did last election with Bush, are depending too much on Hillary or Obama being not electable. They are ignoring the fact that they don't have a solid canidate.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i think some underestimate the "anyone but hillary" turnout, and the unfortunate but all too real "anyone but a woman" and "anyone but a black guy" turnout
I have to agree with you here, especially on the "anyone but a woman" / "anyone but another Clinton" factor.

In the national polls at this time, Hillary beats Obama. And for Hillary vs. Rudy, it's roughly even.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i think some underestimate the "anyone but hillary" turnout, and the unfortunate but all too real "anyone but a woman" and "anyone but a black guy" turnout

Because of racism and sexism, both Hillary and Obama do have some disadvantages that a white male candidate would not have. Still, the general election will depend on public's perception of the conflict in Iraq in November 2008.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I think Republicans, like the Dems did last election with Bush, are depending too much on Hillary or Obama being not electable. They are ignoring the fact that they don't have a solid canidate.

The Republicans have a solid candidate in John McCain. Nearly 50 years of experience in Foreign Policy and National Security while the front runners in the Democratic Party combined don't even have 10 years.

The problem John McCain or any Republican candidate has at the moment are the polls which show 57% to 60% of the public is against the war, while 40% still support it. If the public's mood about the war changes in favor of the Republicans in the next 18 months, then the Republicans will have knocked out the Democrats #1 factor, and perhaps the only factor, in being able to re-take the White House.

STING2 said:

The Republicans have a solid candidate in John McCain. Nearly 50 years of experience in Foreign Policy and National Security while the front runners in the Democratic Party combined don't even have 10 years.

The problem John McCain or any Republican candidate has at the moment are the polls which show 57% to 60% of the public is against the war, while 40% still support it. If the public's mood about the war changes in favor of the Republicans in the next 18 months, then the Republicans will have knocked out the Democrats #1 factor, and perhaps the only factor, in being able to re-take the White House.

The war is no longer the only reason people will be voting. Sorry you no longer have that life vest. The majority of people are either against or at least fed up with the way the war is being handled.

The Republicans are going to have to go back to relying on the evangelical vote and McCain can't get that.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The war is no longer the only reason people will be voting.

No, I think you're right. I don't think it ever was the only reason though. Terrorism is, however, the defining issue of our time and is the number one concern of a majority of prospective voters. If Republicans want to win the WH, they just need to concentrate on talking about combatting terrorism. It's their strongpoint, and they blow Dems away on the issue. Look at, for example, Obama and Clinton's responses during the Dem debate.

2861U2 said:

It's their strongpoint, and they blow Dems away on the issue. Look at, for example, Obama and Clinton's responses during the Dem debate.
Yeah, that's why we're in the predicament we're in, because it's their strongpoint. If so the Republicans are screwed...

The Republicans strongpoint is fear, and making you think this is the way to fight terrorism.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The Republicans strongpoint is fear, and making you think this is the way to fight terrorism.

That's very incorrect. Try again.

If you want to talk about fear, look to your own party first. The Dems won the 06 election based entirely on fear, spouting garbage scaring the people into thinking that America isnt safe. All the Dems have to offer is fear.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The war is no longer the only reason people will be voting. Sorry you no longer have that life vest. The majority of people are either against or at least fed up with the way the war is being handled.

The Republicans are going to have to go back to relying on the evangelical vote and McCain can't get that.

The "evangelical vote" will always go to the Republican candidate as it has gone for decades. Its true that a majority of people are currently against the war, but there is still a significant minority, 40%, that is still for it, and if the poll numbers move up in that direction, the democrats will lose their only issue against the Republicans, the current unpopularity of the war.

The economy is doing fantastic with unemployment at a historic low of 4.5%. Without the current unpopularity of the Iraq war, Democrats will be in trouble in 2008.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah, that's why we're in the predicament we're in, because it's their strongpoint. If so the Republicans are screwed...

Allowing Al Quada to have a safe haven in Iraq by pre-maturely withdrawing US troops as Democrats propose is certainly not the way to fight terrorism.

2861U2 said:

That's very incorrect. Try again.

If you want to talk about fear, look to your own party first. The Dems won the 06 election based entirely on fear, spouting garbage scaring the people into thinking that America isnt safe. All the Dems have to offer is fear.

Really you know what party I belong to? And exactly which Dems used fear? Just one or two examples will suffice.

STING2 said:

The "evangelical vote" will always go to the Republican candidate as it has gone for decades.

But what you don't get is that if they aren't catered to, they don't really come out and vote... So there's no use talking about them.

STING2 said:

Allowing Al Quada to have a safe haven in Iraq by pre-maturely withdrawing US troops as Democrats propose is certainly not the way to fight terrorism.

I agree both extremes are useless. A pullout or a surge, completely useless.

You all made the bed, now we all have to lie in it...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But what you don't get is that if they aren't catered to, they don't really come out and vote... So there's no use talking about them.

Evangelical's have been voting for decades. Its not the be all and end all that many have mistakenly made them out to be. In addition, McCain draws from a much wider base of people than any other Republican nominee in recent memory. The general election will be decided by the publics perception about Iraq in November 2008.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I agree both extremes are useless. A pullout or a surge, completely useless.

You all made the bed, now we all have to lie in it...

Both Afghanistan and Iraq need coalition troops to provide security and help in rebuilding until they develop military and government resources strong enough to replace the work that coalition forces are doing. The surge has already reduced sectarian violence in Baghdad, and its not even complete yet. The idea that its useless is simply false.

STING2 said:

Evangelical's have been voting for decades. Its not the be all and end all that many have mistakenly made them out to be.
I'm just telling you what is coming directly from their mouths.

STING2 said:

In addition, McCain draws from a much wider base of people than any other Republican nominee in recent memory. The general election will be decided by the publics perception about Iraq in November 2008.

I think you overestimate his pull and the roll of Iraq in 2008.

As if people aren't also sick to death of Bush, the entire administration and Republican corruption running rampant.

McCain is polling like 20 points behind Romney in some states. I think he's DOA.

Back
Top Bottom