Volumes spoken about the way the world sees America - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:25 AM
Volumes spoken about the way the world sees America

Appeal by Pretty Woman Star Perplexes Palestinians
Jan 6, 10:08 AM (ET)
RAMALLAH, West Bank (Reuters) - He's been a prostitute's rich beau, an officer, a gentleman and a gigolo, but Palestinians can't fathom Richard Gere's latest incarnation as a cheerleader for their elections this weekend.

Well known for his vocal support of Tibet's Dalai Lama and celebrated for his captivating good looks, Gere urged Palestinians in a television commercial broadcast ahead of Sunday's poll in the West Bank and Gaza to get out to vote for a new president to succeed Yasser Arafat, who died in November.

"Hi, I'm Richard Gere and I'm speaking for the entire world. We're with you during this election time. It's really important. Get out and vote," Gere said in the advertisement.

But many voters, already struggling with the labyrinthine politics of the West Bank and Gaza, say they have never heard of the actor who swept Debra Winger off her feet as a dashing Navy officer in the 1982 film An Officer and a Gentleman and were even less interested when they were told he's an American.

"I don't even know who the candidates are other than Abu Mazen (Mahmoud Abbas), let alone this Gere," Gaza soap factory worker Manar an-Najar told Reuters on Wednesday.

"We don't need the Americans' intervention. We know who to elect. Not like them -- they elected a moron."

Arafat's death has stirred international hopes of ending more than four years of Middle East violence. Moderate Fatah faction candidate Mahmoud Abbas is the front-runner to succeed him in the first Palestinian election since 1996.

The Gere spot, sponsored by grassroots Israeli-Palestinian peace lobby One Voice, recalled ads put out by Hollywood notables to support Democratic candidate Sen. John Kerry in November's U.S. elections. He lost to President Bush.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:25 AM

Old 01-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #3
War Child

Re: Volumes spoken about the way the world sees America

Let's hope they don't elect a terrorist like Arafat.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #4
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:25 AM
I probably think Bush is as big a moron as anyone, but I have to say, I don't understand why one quote from a single Palestinian in response to a Richard Gere ad speaks volumes about anything.

In fact, I'll go so far to say that this is an irresponsible quote for Reuters to publish. It's irrelevant for one thing; it has nothing to do with how Palestinians view Richard Gere. And for another thing, it reinforces the stereotype of Palestinians as a bunch of America-hating zealots, which is almost certainly not as true as our media likes to portray.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:25 AM
It also shows that sometimes, maybe we as Americans and American celebrities in particular should not put their noses where they don't belong. I mean, has Richard Gere ever been to Palestine? Is a tenth Palestinean or something? It's one thing to have American Richard Gere talking about American politics. It's another to have American Richard Gere try to get out the Palestinean vote. Would you have liked it if Jude Law or Hugh Grant or Sean Connery did an ad during the American elections to tell us to get out the vote? Hell, I didn't even appreciate P. Diddy and Paris Hilton telling me to "Vote or Die" and they're Americans!
Old 01-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 01:25 AM
Quote:
"Hi, I'm Richard Gere and I'm speaking for the entire world. We're with you during this election time. It's really important. Get out and vote," Gere said in the advertisement.

Wow...an American actor claiming to be the world's spokesperson.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

good intentions
gone astray

more red meat
for red staters
Old 01-07-2005, 01:18 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Wow...an American actor claiming to be the world's spokesperson.
cool
all bases are covered now

W speaks for God.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
It also shows that sometimes, maybe we as Americans and American celebrities in particular should not put their noses where they don't belong. I mean, has Richard Gere ever been to Palestine? Is a tenth Palestinean or something? It's one thing to have American Richard Gere talking about American politics. It's another to have American Richard Gere try to get out the Palestinean vote. Would you have liked it if Jude Law or Hugh Grant or Sean Connery did an ad during the American elections to tell us to get out the vote? Hell, I didn't even appreciate P. Diddy and Paris Hilton telling me to "Vote or Die" and they're Americans!
Wasn't Gere one of the millions who swore they'd move to Canada if Bush won the election ?
Old 01-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #10
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

Wasn't Gere one of the millions who swore they'd move to Canada if Bush won the election ?
Maybe he's moving to Ramallah instead. It would explain his interest in doing this ad.

But seriously, in defense of Gere, it's not like he did this on his own. As the article explains, he was approached by OneVoice to do it.

What would you have done if someone told you that you could make a difference? We can all agree it's a worthwhile goal. Of course he looks silly, but that's more OneVoice's miscalculation than Gere's. The dude was just trying to help.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix

Maybe he's moving to Ramallah instead. It would explain his interest in doing this ad.

But seriously, in defense of Gere, it's not like he did this on his own. As the article explains, he was approached by OneVoice to do it.

What would you have done if someone told you that you could make a difference?

A modicum of Homework.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #12
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

cool
all bases are covered now

W speaks for God.
No, that's Pat Robertson. I don't believe W ever said he speaks FOR God, Pat Robertson routinely tells the world God has spoken to him and wants his "message" passed along.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:00 PM   #13
Acrobat

Quote:

A modicum of Homework.
Well, I agree he looks foolish. But he's not doing a bad thing.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

No, that's Pat Robertson. I don't believe W ever said he speaks FOR God, Pat Robertson routinely tells the world God has spoken to him and wants his "message" passed along.
W has said the freedom is a gift from God

and now he is killing in Irag to give Iraqis freedom

he was asked if he talked to his father
about a war in Iraq

he answerd he had a "higher father" he talked to
Old 01-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #15
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:25 AM
I'm still missing the "volumes"...