Virtuous Religious Leaders - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Virtuous Religious Leaders

Keeping the faith
Quote:
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Residents of a southern Somalia town who do not pray five times a day will be beheaded, an Islamic courts official said Wednesday, adding the edict will be implemented in three days.

Public places such as shops and tea houses in Bulo Burto, about 124 miles northeast of the capital, Mogadishu, should be closed during prayer time and no one should be on the streets, said Sheik Hussein Barre Rage, the chairman of the town’s Islamic court.

Those who do not follow this edict “will definitely be beheaded according to Islamic law,” Rage told The Associated Press by phone. “As Muslims, we should practice Islam fully, not in part, and that is what our religion enjoins us to do.”

He said that the courts are announcing the edict over loudspeakers in the town.
link

Old 12-07-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:07 AM
This is sick and sad. I can't help but honestly feel and after hearing this. These are barbaric spiritual lies. My prayers are definitely for everyone involved.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Way to show the love of God!

What I would like to know is how they plan to enforce this. To find shops open during prayer times, wouldn't they have to actually go out, drive around, find these shops, and miss prayers themselves?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-07-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Way to show the love of God!

What I would like to know is how they plan to enforce this. To find shops open during prayer times, wouldn't they have to actually go out, drive around, find these shops, and miss prayers themselves?
Don't worry they told Allah before hand and he said 'it's cool' in a surprisingly down to earth manner.

Not much can be said about this. I'll just say I really don't like Islam even the 'moderate' version of it. I've read too much about it and it's not just the fundamentalist side I dislike, it's the core. It regulates EVERY aspect of life and it leaves human development of anyone who adopts it in the dark ages. No one in Islamic society will ever progress especially considering the way in which state law is so closely correlated with the teachings of Islam and I think everyone will agree with me. I don't like Islam and I am not afraid to say it. Bring on the flames.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:40 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

*waits to see what's going to happen*
Old 12-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:07 PM
This is sick.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman

Don't worry they told Allah before hand and he said 'it's cool' in a surprisingly down to earth manner.

Not much can be said about this. I'll just say I really don't like Islam even the 'moderate' version of it. I've read too much about it and it's not just the fundamentalist side I dislike, it's the core. It regulates EVERY aspect of life and it leaves human development of anyone who adopts it in the dark ages. No one in Islamic society will ever progress especially considering the way in which state law is so closely correlated with the teachings of Islam and I think everyone will agree with me. I don't like Islam and I am not afraid to say it. Bring on the flames.
Looking back at your previous posts, I am hardly surprised by the statements in this one. Coming from a 99% Muslim country, I couldn't disagree with you more. Your views are not only narrow-minded, but also represents a very ethnocentric view of an issue that is only remotely familiar to you. Saying you dislike the 'core' of a religion that you quite obviously don't have an extensive understanding of is at best ignorant. Turkey is an essentially Muslim country, but it is governed by a secular constitution and is a staunchly secular state. I, for one, am quite skeptical of religion in general myself, however I still strive to have a greater understanding of it, rather than brand it as 'alien' and 'wrong' like you seem to do. Meanwhile, you can continue to dislike what you don't understand.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Damn. I was hoping nobody would respond to that.

Here we go...
Old 12-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ignorance breeds intolerance. That goes for Muslims as well as non-Muslims, as I think this thread proves.

Old 12-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

I think that sometimes knowledge can breed healthy dislike. One can have antipathy even hatred for ideas without hating people on an individual level. it seems COEXIST is fine for people of the book but beyond that we enter dangerous territory, I don't think that the Abrahamic religions can brush over the damage that has been done to people who were charged with atheism or apostacy.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

^Nice point.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I think that sometimes knowledge can breed healthy dislike. One can have antipathy even hatred for ideas without hating people on an individual level. it seems COEXIST is fine for people of the book but beyond that we enter dangerous territory, I don't think that the Abrahamic religions can brush over the damage that has been done to people who were charged with atheism or apostacy.
Well, if the Abrahamic religious ever manage to COEXIST, then the world can take it from there. The biggest conflicts right now are not between the religious and the atheists, but between people of different religious faiths.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Let me put it another way; does anybody here hate Focus on the Family, Answers in Genesis or the BNP because they are ignorant about what they stand for?

Likewise should a line be held for religious beliefs that involve the enforcing of 7th Century Arabian ideals upon a whole population. I think so, I think such actions are the worst of religion up there with seggregation or death for belief or sex and harmful rituals.

If you want to live as a fundamentalist all the power to you, but if your belief involves ensalving others - which is what this really is, forcing people to obey with force and no reward, that oversteps the bounds. I am saying explicitly that the theology embraced by the Islamic Courts in Somalia is offensive to what I percieve as my ideals, if Islam truly is as peaceful and innocent as so many insist then there should be no problem in stating this.

I am oppsed to the idea of a God that interferes with humanity or imbues us with will, I don't find any comfort in being judged on the basis of archaic rules or diminishing this life with false promises of an afterlife, revealed truth is an insult to logic and a lazy appeal to authority.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want

Well, if the Abrahamic religious ever manage to COEXIST, then the world can take it from there. The biggest conflicts right now are not between the religious and the atheists, but between people of different religious faiths.
It's not a demand it's recognition of the lowest common denominator between them; well unbelievers, gays, women, pesky ethnic groups etc., anyhow few find identify or affirm themselves by the lack of belief, and it is an act of individualism in many situations and ,uch easier to extinguish by force.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Let me put it another way; does anybody here hate Focus on the Family, Answers in Genesis or the BNP because they are ignorant about what they stand for?

Likewise should a line be held for religious beliefs that involve the enforcing of 7th Century Arabian ideals upon a whole population. I think so, I think such actions are the worst of religion up there with seggregation or death for belief or sex and harmful rituals.

If you want to live as a fundamentalist all the power to you, but if your belief involves ensalving others - which is what this really is, forcing people to obey with force and no reward, that oversteps the bounds.

I am oppsed to the idea of a God that interferes with humanity or imbues us with will, I don't find any comfort in being judged on the basis of archaic rules or diminishing this life with false promises of an afterlife, revealed truth is an insult to logic and a lazy appeal to authority.
I agree with this. Religious belief should never be the source of governance, law making or institutions. It is simply offensive, because belief should come from the inside, not be imposed from the outside. What value does such faith have, anyway, if you HAVE to believe, but not choose to?