Virtuous Religious Leaders - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-06-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 11:07 PM
Virtuous Religious Leaders

Keeping the faith
Quote:
MOGADISHU, Somalia - Residents of a southern Somalia town who do not pray five times a day will be beheaded, an Islamic courts official said Wednesday, adding the edict will be implemented in three days.

Public places such as shops and tea houses in Bulo Burto, about 124 miles northeast of the capital, Mogadishu, should be closed during prayer time and no one should be on the streets, said Sheik Hussein Barre Rage, the chairman of the town’s Islamic court.

Those who do not follow this edict “will definitely be beheaded according to Islamic law,” Rage told The Associated Press by phone. “As Muslims, we should practice Islam fully, not in part, and that is what our religion enjoins us to do.”

He said that the courts are announcing the edict over loudspeakers in the town.
link
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 08:07 AM
This is sick and sad. I can't help but honestly feel and after hearing this. These are barbaric spiritual lies. My prayers are definitely for everyone involved.
__________________

__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 151,035
Local Time: 12:07 AM
Way to show the love of God!

What I would like to know is how they plan to enforce this. To find shops open during prayer times, wouldn't they have to actually go out, drive around, find these shops, and miss prayers themselves?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
Refugee
 
AussieU2fanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 1,638
Local Time: 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Way to show the love of God!

What I would like to know is how they plan to enforce this. To find shops open during prayer times, wouldn't they have to actually go out, drive around, find these shops, and miss prayers themselves?
Don't worry they told Allah before hand and he said 'it's cool' in a surprisingly down to earth manner.

Not much can be said about this. I'll just say I really don't like Islam even the 'moderate' version of it. I've read too much about it and it's not just the fundamentalist side I dislike, it's the core. It regulates EVERY aspect of life and it leaves human development of anyone who adopts it in the dark ages. No one in Islamic society will ever progress especially considering the way in which state law is so closely correlated with the teachings of Islam and I think everyone will agree with me. I don't like Islam and I am not afraid to say it. Bring on the flames.
__________________
AussieU2fanman is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 03:40 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 08:07 AM


*waits to see what's going to happen*
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 01:07 PM
This is sick.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Refugee
 
all_i_want's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,180
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman


Don't worry they told Allah before hand and he said 'it's cool' in a surprisingly down to earth manner.

Not much can be said about this. I'll just say I really don't like Islam even the 'moderate' version of it. I've read too much about it and it's not just the fundamentalist side I dislike, it's the core. It regulates EVERY aspect of life and it leaves human development of anyone who adopts it in the dark ages. No one in Islamic society will ever progress especially considering the way in which state law is so closely correlated with the teachings of Islam and I think everyone will agree with me. I don't like Islam and I am not afraid to say it. Bring on the flames.
Looking back at your previous posts, I am hardly surprised by the statements in this one. Coming from a 99% Muslim country, I couldn't disagree with you more. Your views are not only narrow-minded, but also represents a very ethnocentric view of an issue that is only remotely familiar to you. Saying you dislike the 'core' of a religion that you quite obviously don't have an extensive understanding of is at best ignorant. Turkey is an essentially Muslim country, but it is governed by a secular constitution and is a staunchly secular state. I, for one, am quite skeptical of religion in general myself, however I still strive to have a greater understanding of it, rather than brand it as 'alien' and 'wrong' like you seem to do. Meanwhile, you can continue to dislike what you don't understand.
__________________
all_i_want is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,410
Local Time: 08:07 AM
Damn. I was hoping nobody would respond to that.

Here we go...
__________________
DaveC is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
sulawesigirl4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,416
Local Time: 08:07 AM
Ignorance breeds intolerance. That goes for Muslims as well as non-Muslims, as I think this thread proves.
__________________
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

sulawesigirl4 is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 11:07 PM
I think that sometimes knowledge can breed healthy dislike. One can have antipathy even hatred for ideas without hating people on an individual level. it seems COEXIST is fine for people of the book but beyond that we enter dangerous territory, I don't think that the Abrahamic religions can brush over the damage that has been done to people who were charged with atheism or apostacy.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
coemgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Black and White Town
Posts: 3,962
Local Time: 08:07 AM
^Nice point.
__________________
coemgen is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #12
Refugee
 
all_i_want's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,180
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I think that sometimes knowledge can breed healthy dislike. One can have antipathy even hatred for ideas without hating people on an individual level. it seems COEXIST is fine for people of the book but beyond that we enter dangerous territory, I don't think that the Abrahamic religions can brush over the damage that has been done to people who were charged with atheism or apostacy.
Well, if the Abrahamic religious ever manage to COEXIST, then the world can take it from there. The biggest conflicts right now are not between the religious and the atheists, but between people of different religious faiths.
__________________
all_i_want is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 11:07 PM
Let me put it another way; does anybody here hate Focus on the Family, Answers in Genesis or the BNP because they are ignorant about what they stand for?

Likewise should a line be held for religious beliefs that involve the enforcing of 7th Century Arabian ideals upon a whole population. I think so, I think such actions are the worst of religion up there with seggregation or death for belief or sex and harmful rituals.

If you want to live as a fundamentalist all the power to you, but if your belief involves ensalving others - which is what this really is, forcing people to obey with force and no reward, that oversteps the bounds. I am saying explicitly that the theology embraced by the Islamic Courts in Somalia is offensive to what I percieve as my ideals, if Islam truly is as peaceful and innocent as so many insist then there should be no problem in stating this.

I am oppsed to the idea of a God that interferes with humanity or imbues us with will, I don't find any comfort in being judged on the basis of archaic rules or diminishing this life with false promises of an afterlife, revealed truth is an insult to logic and a lazy appeal to authority.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want


Well, if the Abrahamic religious ever manage to COEXIST, then the world can take it from there. The biggest conflicts right now are not between the religious and the atheists, but between people of different religious faiths.
It's not a demand it's recognition of the lowest common denominator between them; well unbelievers, gays, women, pesky ethnic groups etc., anyhow few find identify or affirm themselves by the lack of belief, and it is an act of individualism in many situations and ,uch easier to extinguish by force.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 12-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
Refugee
 
all_i_want's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,180
Local Time: 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Let me put it another way; does anybody here hate Focus on the Family, Answers in Genesis or the BNP because they are ignorant about what they stand for?

Likewise should a line be held for religious beliefs that involve the enforcing of 7th Century Arabian ideals upon a whole population. I think so, I think such actions are the worst of religion up there with seggregation or death for belief or sex and harmful rituals.

If you want to live as a fundamentalist all the power to you, but if your belief involves ensalving others - which is what this really is, forcing people to obey with force and no reward, that oversteps the bounds.

I am oppsed to the idea of a God that interferes with humanity or imbues us with will, I don't find any comfort in being judged on the basis of archaic rules or diminishing this life with false promises of an afterlife, revealed truth is an insult to logic and a lazy appeal to authority.
I agree with this. Religious belief should never be the source of governance, law making or institutions. It is simply offensive, because belief should come from the inside, not be imposed from the outside. What value does such faith have, anyway, if you HAVE to believe, but not choose to?
__________________

__________________
all_i_want is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com