Virginia Tech thread, Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There wasn't a day I wouldn't think of you.

Never before such an event did have such an impact on me.

Wish you well with the counseling.

BonoManiac said:

I hope that's not an actual poster plastered around campus for the simple reason that "Hokies" is misspelled!

I hope everyone that has been affected by this tragedy gets the love and support they need.:hug:

Hah! No, our school is notoriously dumb. That's why I posted all the UM stuff first.
That's just a facebook graphic. I'll be sure to tell the group. I don't think anyone has noticed it yet.

:happy:

I just got a note from my friend on Facebook.

hey laura
thank you so much for the message. it means so much to my family and i, i cannot tell you how grateful i am for everything.
love
allison

It gives me chills each time I read it. Thank you for all your prayers and good vibes...there is hope, and life goes on.

U2democrat said:
:happy:

I just got a note from my friend on Facebook.

It gives me chills each time I read it. Thank you for all your prayers and good vibes...there is hope, and life goes on.

that is truly a blessing, laura. i'm so relieved for you. :hug:

the group counseling went well. it was great to be among peers, who share the same burden of having to manage our pain and having to help the students we are responsible for cope. i didn't realize this, but since most of them left, they will be returning to campus on monday, for the first time since the incident, and will perhaps be having to face the aftermath for the first time.

it is hard being a mentor who is also grieving. i'm grateful that the university quickly saw that, and is offering special services to us.

i also want to thank everyone who has participated in the Hokie Hope day by wearing orange and maroon. and Lies, don't worry, your heart is in the right place, and that is important. :hug:

I don't have any orange, but I did wear maroon along with the VT ribbons our Student Affairs Office made available. There were a lot of people on our campus in VT colors today, and we have a candlelight vigil scheduled for tonite.

:hug: mia
:hug: laura

AP Exclusive: Cho family is `hopeless'

BLACKSBURG, Va. - The family of Virginia Tech gunman Seung-Hui Cho told The Associated Press on Friday that they feel "hopeless, helpless and lost," and "never could have envisioned that he was capable of so much violence."

"He has made the world weep. We are living a nightmare," said a statement issued by Cho's sister, Sun-Kyung Cho, on the family's behalf.

It was the Chos' first public comment since the 23-year-old student killed 32 people and committed suicide Monday in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history.

Raleigh, N.C., lawyer Wade Smith provided the statement to the AP after the Cho family reached out to him. Smith said the family would not answer any questions, and neither would he.

"Our family is so very sorry for my brother's unspeakable actions. It is a terrible tragedy for all of us," said Sun-Kyung Cho, a 2004 Princeton University graduate who works as a contractor for a State Department office that oversees American aid for Iraq.

"We pray for their families and loved ones who are experiencing so much excruciating grief. And we pray for those who were injured and for those whose lives are changed forever because of what they witnessed and experienced," she said. "Each of these people had so much love, talent and gifts to offer, and their lives were cut short by a horrible and senseless act."

The family's whereabouts are unclear. But authorities said they are under law enforcement protection.

The statement was issued during a statewide day of mourning for the victims. Silence fell across the Virginia Tech campus at noon and bells tolled in churches nationwide in memory of the victims.

"We are humbled by this darkness. We feel hopeless, helpless and lost. This is someone that I grew up with and loved. Now I feel like I didn't know this person," Cho's sister said. "We have always been a close, peaceful and loving family. My brother was quiet and reserved, yet struggled to fit in. We never could have envisioned that he was capable of so much violence."

She said her family will cooperate fully with investigators and "do whatever we can to help authorities understand why these senseless acts happened. We have many unanswered questions as well."

Wendy Adams, whose niece, Leslie Sherman, was killed in the massacre, said of the family's statement: "I'm not so generous to be able to forgive him for what he did. But I do feel for the family. I do feel sorry for them."

"I do believe they're living a nightmare," she added.

Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker said: "Based on this sorrowful statement, it is apparent that the family grieves with everyone in the world."

Cho's name was given as "Cho Seung-Hui" by police earlier this week. But the Cho family statement rendered his name in Americanized fashion as "Seung-Hui Cho."

During the campus memorial earlier in the day, hundreds of somber students and area residents, most wearing the school's maroon and orange, stood with heads bowed on the parade ground in front of Norris Hall, where all but two of the victims died. Along with the bouquets and candles was a sign reading, "Never forgotten."

"It's good to feel the love of people around you," said Alice Lo, a Virginia Tech graduate and friend of Jocelyne Couture-Nowak, a French instructor killed in the rampage. "With this evil, there is still goodness."

The mourners gathered in front of stone memorials, each adorned with a basket of tulips and an American flag. There were 33 stones — one for each victim and Cho.

"His family is suffering just as much as the other families," said Elizabeth Lineberry, who will be a freshman at Virginia Tech in the fall.

That's wonderful news about your friend, Laura. Continuing to pray for her recovery. :hug:

I'm glad the session went well, Mia. :hug:

I'm not at work today, but I am wearing a maroon shirt.

You're all still in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

Laura thank you for sharing your friend's note :hug: I hope the road to recovery is a quick one for her :).

Mia Im happy that the counseling session went well for you :hug: Really is such a relief to know that VT has done such a great job of providing their student's and staff the support they need.

As for the parent's of the shooter my heart truly does go out to them :(. They are not to blame for what happened. I hope they continue to be safe :pray:

Laura, I think you going home will help you with the healing process. Try to stay strong, and know that others care about you. :hug:

Mia, my thoughts & prayers are still with you. :hug:

Dem, great to see your friend's message, thanks for sharing.

Good to hear you are participating in the counselling, Mia.

:hug:

1177112954_6812.jpg

Mia Im happy that the counseling session was helpful :hug: Hang in there!

Laura thinking of you :hug: :hug: :hug:

My bf said that the workers at his bank wore the VT colors yesterday as he did too. This weekend we are purchasing VT hats in show of our support.

Stupid dress code at my work wouldn't allow maroon etc shirts or pants--but there werea lot of tied-on sweaters, hats, socks etc. Also, a lot of peope are wearing variations of the ribbon on Tech logo. I see a lot of it here in NY.

Laura, Mia, Democrat and Unico, as wellas allothers, great to see you're coping at least. Time will lessen the pain, beleive me, at least the first visceral shock. But there are other things you'll have to live with. My heart goes out to all of you.

And to that poor family too...

Tech gunman bought ammo clips on eBay

By ADAM GELLER and CHRIS KAHN, Associated Press Writers

BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech killer went to eBay to buy ammunition clips for one of the types of guns he used in the rampage, a spokesman for the auction site confirmed Saturday.

Using the handle Blazers5505, Seung-Hui Cho bought two 10-round magazines for the Walther P22 — one of two handguns used in the massacre of 32 people. The clips were bought March 22 from a gun shop in Idaho.

"It's apparent that he purchased the empty magazine clips," eBay spokesman Hani Durzy said. "They're similar to what could be purchased in any sporting goods store around the country."

On eBay and affiliated sites, Cho also sold several books with violent themes, tickets to Hokies football games, and a graphics calculator that contained several games.

"The calculator was used for less than one semester then I dropped the class," he wrote.

Cho's eBay feeback rating from other users was superb — 98.5 percent. Only one person gave him a negative rating. The site says the person has had an account since January 2004.

On the eBay-affiliated Web site half.com, several books were listed for sale under the screen name "blazers5505."

They include "Men, Women, and Chainsaws" by Carol J. Clover, a book that explores gender in the modern horror film; the publisher's note reads: "Do the pleasures of horror movies really begin and end in sadism?"

Others include "The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre," by H.P. Lovecraft; and "The Female of the Species: Tales of Mystery and Suspense" by Joyce Carol Oates — a book in which the publisher writes: "In these and other gripping and disturbing tales, women are confronted by the evil around them and surprised by the evil they find within themselves."

Books by those three authors were taught in his Contemporary Horror class, meaning he could have been merely selling the used books at the end of the semester.

Computer forensics have played a major role in the investigation into Cho's motives. Authorities are examining the personal computers found in his dorm room.

Experts say that when the subject of an investigation is a loner like Cho, such records can be a rich source of information.

An examination of a computer is "very revealing, particularly for a person like this," said Mark Rasch of FTI Consulting, a computer and electronic investigation firm. "What we find ... particularly with people who are very uncommunicative in person, is that they may be much more communicative and free to express themselves with the anonymity that computers and the Internet give you."

Andy Koch, Cho's suitemate from 2005-06, said he never saw Cho receive or send a package. He said if a student receives a package from FedEx or UPS, it is usually delivered to the dorm, and a note is left on the door if the student is not home.

Cho's computers likely will hold records of any e-mail communications he had. But they could also show the topics he researched, online purchases he made, his essays and diaries and photos.

Investigators also are seeking his cell phone records on the theory that he may have warned someone about what would become the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

"Seung-Hui Cho is known to have communicated by cellular telephone and may have communicated with others concerning his plans to carry out attacks on students and faculty at Virginia Tech," police wrote Friday in an affidavit seeking records from cellular service provider Verizon Wireless.

A spokesman for Verizon Wireless, Jeffrey Nelson, declined to comment Saturday.

___

Associated Press Writers Kristen Gelineau and Allen G. Breed in Blacksburg and Bruce Meyerson in New York contributed to this report.

Tonight I realized I'm nowhere near past this.

All day I had been feeling better, happier than I had felt all week, almost back to my normal self.

Tonight my parents and I were watching a movie, China Syndrome. Generally not a violent movie, but a thriller, a type of movie I enjoy. Normally I don't bat my eye at any violence on film, I am after all a Bond geek.

At the end when one of the main characters was an innocent person who was gunned down that sent a shock through my system. Seeing him lying on the ground with the bullet wounds in him sent me straight back into my depression. I kept myself composed around my parents, but as I'm sitting here in my bed, and Kite live from Slane Castle just played on my iPod, I had to break down again. One step forward, two steps back.

I just wanted to get that out there. My parents are in bed and I never like opening up to them anyway (I don't know why that's just how I've always been), and surprisingly enough none of my friends are on AIM at the moment.

I'm just not used to feeling so low all the time, that's not how I am. I know it's natural considering all that's gone on this week...I'm just not used to having to cope. I"m usually good at being numb to bad news...but this week has broken through my armor. I just wonder how long it'll take to repair.

I just hope I can get through church tomorrow without crying. I hate it when people see me cry.

Ugh. Enough of me. Thanks for listening/reading.

Hey Laura.

Keep on posting and sharing. I have no idea about how you must feel but you are going through a healing process which will take time.

No shame in feeling the way you are feeling. Totally normal. Hang in there.:hug:

:hug: laura. I think that's perfectly normal. I can empathize with not wanting to cry in public, but sometimes it's just better to let yourself feel whatever emotions you've got and express them. I hope that you're able to talk to someone about what you're feeling. I'd highly recommend using whatever resources your university might have. I went to my school's counseling center after the death of a good family friend (he was a missionary pilot and died in a freak plane crash in the Andes), and the support I got there was really helpful to me in the long term. :hug:

:hug:

Thank you all for taking your time to read how I feel and responding.

My iPod must know how I'm feeling...it just played Walk On from Slane and now it's playing Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own.

I have a new respect for these songs.

:hug: laura, don't ever been ashamed or embaressed for crying, you deserve to cry, we all do - its such a tragic waste of life, and manyh times I have found myself crying over this - just so so sad.

:hug: to mia too, and everyone else - time will heal, but no one will ever forget - you just learn to get on with it in your heart.

hi everyone. thanks again for all of your support. this has been the longest week of my life. i can't believe it was last week. the memories are in my head and my heart as if it were yesterday, but at the same time, each day that passes feels like an eternity.

i'm at work now, and i see that the counseling center is providing services right across my hall. i'll stop by once i'm done with office hours.

campus feels grim. we had a moment of silence. i spent it staring blankly at norris hall through the tears. it was so surreal. i've never seen the drillfield so full of people before.

finally, the media has decided to show some respect. they are staying off-campus...well, away from the buildings. they are staying at the parking lots. each door on each building has a sign posted asking the media to respect us and bugger off. so far it appears to be working.

as for me...my eating and sleeping remains the same...minimal, but not nonexistent. i'm trying the best i can to eat, but i just keep getting sick. i still can't sleep either. i'm jolted awake if i'm unconscious for more than 2 hours.

hopefully the counseling will help. a friend suggested some tylenol PM, but i'm concerned about becoming addicted.

if anybody has some suggestions, that would be of great help.

thanks again for all of your support, and continue to keep us in your hearts. it has been hard. sometimes i feel like the aftermath is just as hard as the actual tragedy. i don't feel like i'm getting better...but i don't necessarily feel worse.

Back
Top Bottom