Virgin Birth? Did it happen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Well, did it? Or was mary going to be in big trouble with her father?

I don't think so. But then again I don't believe that Jesus was the son of God any more than anyone else is. And I also don't believe in God in the form of a person or person-like being either...perhaps a powerful life-force, but not an omniscient creator.

I've always believed it did...

And yet, historical evidence doesn't seem to support that it was an accepted tradition in the early church and that it was incorporated later. :shrug:

The traditional in me still believes it. I disagree with the Catholic church tradition that Mary didn't have other children though.

Of course it happens. That's the beauty of the whole dogma. You can take it or leave it. And by believing - without seeing - you are blessed. That is faith. The minute you know something it stops being faith and it becomes knowledge.

For those of you who believe it, why would God have to creat his own son in a manner completely different from every other person on the planet?

Um, I do not believe it happened. And, I have my reasons. First of all, there is no reason to believe at all that Jesus ever spoke of his birth. His father is not even mentioned outside of the nativity stories, so it's doubtful he supplied the story. As wonderful as Mary might've been, she along with "family" wondered if Jesus was "besides himself." If the family knew that the holy spirit had placed Jesus inside of Mary why would they question him?

Yes, I believe it did

There was an excellent special on CNN last night about the Virgin Mary and Mary Magdalene. If they re-run it, it's definitely worth watching.

For those of you who believe it, why would God have to create his own son in a manner completely different from every other person on the planet?

Dreadsox said:
For those of you who believe it, why would God have to create his own son in a manner completely different from every other person on the planet?

How do you know it was a completely different manner to every other conception? God could create all babys for all you know. Its science that tells us that a man and a woman create babies.

Dreadsox said:

I'm not sure what you mean exactly? Are you asking why God didn't have sex with Mary?

beli said:

How do you know it was a completely different manner to every other conception? God could create all babys for all you know. Its science that tells us that a man and a woman create babies.

Well, supposedly she was a Virgin? Doesn't that make him different from other babies?

As far as I know, other babies require a man and a woman to particiapate in the act. The theory is this did not happen.

PS: Glad you are posting.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm not sure what you mean exactly? Are you asking why God didn't have sex with Mary?

Everyone else on the planet that God chose to work through had a mother and a father. Here we have a virgin birth. Why? WHy something completely different?

Dreadsox said:

Everyone else on the planet that God chose to work through had a mother and a father. Here we have a virgin birth. Why? WHy something completely different?

Well he worked through these others. They had free will and could leave anytime. This one is part him. She was conceived by the spirit. If we are to believe that God is all powerful we can believe he could conceived of a child this way.

I would guess that he chose a virgin so that even if no one else believed at the time that it wasn't Joeseph's, she would have no doubt and would raise him as the son of God. A lot of preasure for a young woman.

Dreadsox said:

Sex sells. And God had the wisdom to foresee lack of sex also sells?

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom