Violence in Video Games - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2004, 11:47 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi

i am curious whether individuals, principally children, who have undergone media awareness training would hold a 'more' realistic perspective on video game/movie/tv violence.

when discussing issues such as this, one must remember that technologic deterministic perspectives, such as 'video game violence results in real violence', have rarely, if ever been verified though they are oft cited in the press.

I really feel the answer is media awareness training - provided by a parent (a way for parents to connect with their children at an early age). And this is not only for electronic media (Intenet/TV/video games/movies), but also for newspapers.

Old 08-05-2004, 07:06 PM   #17
The Fly

My Mom doesn't like the violence but the military does use those games to train soldiers.
I like the excitement of the Doom game.

Old 08-06-2004, 03:53 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Americas Army, man that game is the best Propaganda Ever, UnrealTM Engine and solid combat, pure gold.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:11 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:48 AM
And, it is free......
Old 08-06-2004, 11:16 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:48 AM
the alignment of young male-oriented entertainment with american foreign policy objectives is as old as comic books-and maybe older.

with only a cursory consideration, this seems less true in the video game world, aside from the socom's and rainbow 6's-perhaps this is such because of the global nature of the video game market?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:48 AM   #21
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:48 AM
It is all about responsibility. Not only the parent's, but the kid playing the game.

It seems more likely to me that kids caught stealing a car and killing someone would find it easier to say "GTA gave me the idea" than to simply take responsibility for committing a crime.
Just as their parents would rather blame it on the game than the fact that they were poor parents. They have a media and a government willing to listen to that kind of catchphrase, so why not?

So, it's simply taking responsibility for one's own actions...
Old 08-08-2004, 05:25 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:48 PM
People worry about kids playing with guns and watching violent videos, we're scared that some sort of culture of violence is taking them over. But nobody worries about kids listening to thousands -- literally thousands -- of songs about broken hearts and rejection and pain and misery and loss.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #23
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
People worry about kids playing with guns and watching violent videos, we're scared that some sort of culture of violence is taking them over. But nobody worries about kids listening to thousands -- literally thousands -- of songs about broken hearts and rejection and pain and misery and loss.

As i mentioned before our brain is continously learning. So song about broken hearts and rejection become imho dangerous for society when the solution is violence, rape etc.
If the solution is "write a song about it if you feel bad" it might be a good adive
Old 08-09-2004, 04:13 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think the problem isn't the video games at all. Those ratings on the box are there for a reason. People under that age aren't supposed to play these games and it's clearly stated by the companies who develope the games and the publishers who plaster a big M on the front of the box.

The problem is the parents. It's the parents' fault. They're simply not being responsible. The parents let their kids buy this crap, or even worse, they buy this crap FOR their kids.

I was at the store the other day browsing video games and this little kid started talking to me. He couldn't have been older than 8 years old. He was showing me all the games HIS PARENTS BOUGHT him. Alot of these games were extremely violent. One of the games was Grand Theft Auto. A game where you beat, shoot and run over innocent people, commit crimes for money, and hire, then kill prostitutes. I was totally shocked to see that a parent would be ignorant and irrisponsible enough to buy this garbage for their kids.

I think so many people are just irrisponsible these days. We're living in a society where people are too irrisponsile to take the blame for their own actions. He have obese people blaming Mcdonalds for their unhealthy lifestyle, as if Mcdonalds put a gun to their head and forced Big Macs down their throat, acting like they didn't know Mcdonalds wasn't healthy (oh my!! Mcdonalds is unhealthy?? Who would have EVER guessed??). If you slip on a patch of ice and bruise or butt just sue someone for millions of dollars!! Sovles the problem quite nicely hmm?

Parents need to stop being fools about this stuff. They buy something destructive for their children when they're completely clueless to its content. Then when something goes wrong they just act stupid (because they are stupid) and say "what a horrible game!! What kind of horrible person would devlope a game like that!?! They should be outlawed!!!".

Well guess what, YOU'RE responsible for your kid having that game. Be responsible and read the ratings. Ignorance isn't an excuse to pollute your kid's mind. There's destructive video games out there and parents need to be aware of this instead of playing ignorant fools. Uncaring parents are more destructive to children than any video game could ever be.

Ignorance isn't an excuse!!!!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:15 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:48 AM
did hitler play violent video games? crazy is crazy... and crazy people will do crazy things, wether they play video games or not. people did crazy things before electricity... 99.9% of us non crazy people can play games like GTA (which has a new version comming out in october, btw). the .1% of us who can't handle it go and snipe people and smash their heads in with baseball bats. just like 99.9% of cavemen who saw their first drawing on a cave wall could handle it, while .1% said "ooga booga" and smashed their heads in with big fucking rocks.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:48 AM   #26
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Headache in a Suitcase

just because video games might make men violent dosn't mean that every person who is violent played video games
Old 08-28-2004, 05:24 PM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:48 AM
ummmm gee thanks for that i believe that was part of my point.

do violent video games bring out violence in a very small percentage of the population? yes... absolutely. should we ban these games because of that? no... absolutely not. things have spurned crazy people to do crazy things throughout the history of man. if the person is crazy enough where a video game or a movie or a book is going to make them take a gun to school or to a mall, then they're probably crazy enough that it doesn't matter what you ban, something is gonna set them off. banning video games due to content is no different to me than burning books because of content. if stores don't like the content of the game, they simply do not have to carry the product. if parents do not like the content of a game, they simply do not have to buy it for their kids. the whole "well he's just gonna play it at his friend's house so i might as well get it for him anyway" theory that many parents have is just plain stupid. crazy is crazy... if someone is capable of doing something crazy just because they saw it in a video game, then they're capable of doing something crazy because they saw it in a movie... or tv... or read it in a newspaper, magaizine or book... blaming video games is just a crutch... i mean what do we do? ban everything? live in a happy happy joy joy world where nothing is ever wrong and everythign that might have a bad effect on you is banned?
Old 08-28-2004, 09:07 PM   #28
The Fly

Location: He: Can I buy you a drink? She: Actually I'd rather have the money.
Local Time: 04:48 AM
i just barely bought my 8 year old daughter an XBox. her first video game console. call me paranoid but i won't even let my daughter look at anything remotely close to GTA if they made it for XBox.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:51 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Manhunt I suppose, good idea - I didn't even have a computer until I was 13, even then it was a 386 - this was when we could get Pentium 90's. Not much violence in video games then, even doom wouldnt run.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:33 AM   #30
Refugee

Headache in a Suitcase
do we also agree that we don't know which people get violent after playing games which glorify violence?