Violence and The Cinema - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2004, 03:00 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:07 PM
no, i wasn't being defensive, just stating my opinion.

i guess after seeing the movie, i was a bit "let down" so to speak cuz everyone kept saying "omg its soooo violent" and it just didnt faze me that much. sure i got emotional, because of the suffering jesus went thru, but the violence, meh. it wasn't all that it was hyped to be, imo.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:32 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:07 PM
As BVS pointed out, some violence is very moving or disturbing. The Passion moved people on two levels - the violence and suffering and the spiritual message (which many can find disturbing).

Most films leave violence on a near comic level - few really wince when it appears on screen.

Old 04-01-2004, 01:52 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Yes, violence can be moving or disturbing. But why is it necessary? Do I gain anything from witnessing the re-enactment of Christ's crucifixion or from seeing people murdered en masse in Schindler's List? Is my understanding furthered in any way?

For example, I have had many people tell me that I must see Schindler's List, but I am not convinced.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:11 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat
Yes, violence can be moving or disturbing. But why is it necessary? Do I gain anything from witnessing the re-enactment of Christ's crucifixion or from seeing people murdered en masse in Schindler's List? Is my understanding furthered in any way?
Consider a parallel with discrimination. We cannot "understand" discrimination at the same level as those who suffer discrimination.

With violence, a visualization takes us well beyond the intellectual understanding of violence.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:54 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Consider a parallel with discrimination. We cannot "understand" discrimination at the same level as those who suffer discrimination.

With violence, a visualization takes us well beyond the intellectual understanding of violence.
The re-enactment of a violent act is just another's visualisation, something I am capable of myself.

If we use discrimination as the example, watching it doesn't really give you the ability to understand what it feels like if it's not you being discriminated against. You are still outside the experience, just a passive viewer.

Hearing an account of discrimination or violence is not just an "intellectual" experience, it is a very emotive experience as well, perhaps more so.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:44 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 08:07 PM
Not to change the subject, but what drives me crazy is how US society is totally ok with people getting gunned down and chopped up, but not ok with some nudity or sex. I don't think that the nudity should be shown on prime time (Janet) but I think as a whole, the US should lighten up a little but when it comes to nudity and sex.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:16 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat

For example, I have had many people tell me that I must see Schindler's List, but I am not convinced.
There's much more to Schindler's List than just people being murdered en masse. Yes, there are scenes of killings and suffering, but ultimately the movie is focussed on the story of the people who survived and the man who saved them. It's one amazing story IMO.

I'd be much more interested in Passion if it wasn't so relentlessly focussed on Christ's last hours. What ultimately moves me about Christ is his life and his teachings, not his death.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:14 PM   #23
War Child

Schindler's List and The Passion are 2 VERY DIFFERENT movies:

Schindler's List didn't focus on the violence as its main theme, whereas Passion did. In my opinion, that's why Schindler's List is a more quality film than Passion. The Passion didn't teach me anything new about Christ, it took no different point of view such as a movie like "Last Temptation of Christ" To me, Passion left me with a bad taste in my mouth, because of its showboating of violence.

Schindler's List on the other hand, told me a story that was moving, and not because of its violence. Because of its CHARacters, its plot, and a unique interpretation, not to mention brilliant direction and cinematography. You got to know those characters inside and out.