Video of Danny Pearl's Death - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-09-2002, 10:14 AM   #1
Refugee
 
She Is Raging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Outside Boston
Posts: 1,729
Local Time: 12:02 AM
Video of Danny Pearl's Death

I dont know whether to be disgusted, horrified or what - but the Boston Phoenix website is linking to the actual video of Danny's murder.

They also have an article explaining why they are showing this, etc. I have read that, and I can understand why they have done it - but I still have not chosen to watch it, and the only way I'll ever see it is by accident. Everytime I even see this poor man's face or hear about him, it truly breaks my heart.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this video - or if they will watch it now that it's available to the public - thoughts?
__________________

__________________
She Is Raging is offline  
Old 06-09-2002, 11:23 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tempe, Az USA
Posts: 12,856
Local Time: 09:02 PM
Raging.
I watched it yesterday.
It made me numb w/anguish.

diamond
__________________

__________________
diamond is offline  
Old 06-09-2002, 12:06 PM   #3
Banned
 
LOVE MUSCLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
Posts: 986
Local Time: 11:02 PM
I don't think it's right for them to have this accessible. I wonder if I would watch it though. I am already disgusted enough with perpetrators of these acts.

GOD bless him.
__________________
LOVE MUSCLE is offline  
Old 06-09-2002, 01:30 PM   #4
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 320
Local Time: 04:02 AM
Isn't it bad enough to watch those planes crash into those building and see the Pentagon on fire...and know people are dying there...: Why????


dream wanderer
__________________
dream wanderer is offline  
Old 06-09-2002, 01:55 PM   #5
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
 
Sicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69,297
Local Time: 08:02 PM
Normal

Ew.
__________________
Sicy is offline  
Old 06-09-2002, 03:00 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
doctorwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: My TARDIS - currently located in San Leandro, CA
Posts: 6,340
Local Time: 08:02 PM
It's also easily available for download through various other sources.


SPOILER WARNING!!!

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU WANT TO SEE THIS VIDEO ON YOUR OWN!

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS VIDEO!

LAST WARNING!!


I watched it and can understand why many think it is fake. There's a scene where one guy is apparently "hacking away" at his neck. But it just doesn't look real. The next scene shows this many holding up Pearl's head - but again, it looks fake.

Regardless, it was greusome video to watch, fake or not. I hope and pray it is fake and Pearl does return home some day. But sadly, it does appear Pearl is dead.

If the video is real, that type of barbarity goes far beyond any wrong-doings the allied forces have done in the current war. Bombing an area where civilians might be killed is tragic. But videotaping a man being purposely decapitized is beyond my comprehension.
__________________
http://u2.interference.com/attachments/forums/signaturepics/sigpic11661_2.gifI always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
doctorwho is online now  
Old 06-09-2002, 03:38 PM   #7
Banned
 
Spyplane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: the innovative mind of Z-EDGE since april 2002, as advertised in april 2002
Posts: 256
Local Time: 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho



If the video is real, that type of barbarity goes far beyond any wrong-doings the allied forces have done in the current war. Bombing an area where civilians might be killed is tragic. But videotaping a man being purposely decapitized is beyond my comprehension.
Good point Dr.
The whole point of the allied forces is to extinguish these barbaric "people". They only way to stop them is to eliminate them, and I encourage their extinction.

Unfortunately civilians get caught up in the mess, they can't hardly be warned to get out of the way though. It sucks, and is reason enough to live a good life and pray for peace.
__________________
Spyplane is offline  
Old 06-09-2002, 04:07 PM   #8
New Yorker
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,637
Local Time: 11:02 PM
I work for the Wall St. Journal's web site and while most of the people I work with and myself never knew Danny, we deeply felt anguish and disgust over his kidnapping and murder. For that reason alone, I don't want to see the video.

As someone who spent several years in journalism school debating the ethics of running gorey photos or video like this I can honestly say I have no idea why the Boston Phoenix would run it on their site. The editor was quoted as saying he immediately decided to run the video with no reservations. Sorry but a decision like this -- regardless of the outcome -- is not something that should be arrived at so quickly and easily.

The basic question the Boston Phoenix should have asked is: Is this video necessary to tell the story? And for me, the basic answer is no. We know he's dead, we know his wife just gave birth to their son. Do we need to put this family through more hell? To put Danny's collegues through more pain? No.

This was simply a way for the Boston Phoenix to get publicity and say what you want about journalists -- most of them would at least have the decency to actually think long and hard about a decision to run something like that.
__________________
sharky is offline  
Old 06-09-2002, 09:51 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho
It's also easily available for download through various other sources.


SPOILER WARNING!!!

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU WANT TO SEE THIS VIDEO ON YOUR OWN!

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS VIDEO!

LAST WARNING!!


I watched it and can understand why many think it is fake. There's a scene where one guy is apparently "hacking away" at his neck. But it just doesn't look real. The next scene shows this many holding up Pearl's head - but again, it looks fake.

Regardless, it was greusome video to watch, fake or not. I hope and pray it is fake and Pearl does return home some day. But sadly, it does appear Pearl is dead.

If the video is real, that type of barbarity goes far beyond any wrong-doings the allied forces have done in the current war. Bombing an area where civilians might be killed is tragic. But videotaping a man being purposely decapitized is beyond my comprehension.
I'm going to say that the video (which I haven't seen and don't plan on watching) is fake (which doesn't mean that Daniel Pearl is still alive, though).

What kind of idiot would leave evidence like that lying around?
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 06-09-2002, 10:04 PM   #10
Banned
 
LOVE MUSCLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
Posts: 986
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer


I'm going to say that the video (which I haven't seen and don't plan on watching) is fake (which doesn't mean that Daniel Pearl is still alive, though).

What kind of idiot would leave evidence like that lying around?
I believe they delivered or left it purposely for proof of his death to support their "cause" or whatever. Idiots does not even begin to describe these types of dispicable bastards.
__________________
LOVE MUSCLE is offline  
Old 06-09-2002, 10:13 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LOVE MUSCLE


I believe they delivered or left it purposely for proof of his death to support their "cause" or whatever. Idiots does not even begin to describe these types of dispicable bastards.
Uh, my point was that unless those murderers were really clever, investigators could use the tape to track them down (check for fingerprints/hair/etc on the tape or on the package, etc).
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 06-09-2002, 10:21 PM   #12
Banned
 
LOVE MUSCLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
Posts: 986
Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer


Uh, my point was that unless those murderers were really clever, investigators could use the tape to track them down (check for fingerprints/hair/etc on the tape or on the package, etc).
I dont think they care about leaving evidence behind or having their identities known, they are proud of their sins
__________________
LOVE MUSCLE is offline  
Old 06-09-2002, 11:53 PM   #13
New Yorker
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,637
Local Time: 11:02 PM
and I'm pretty sure they've found Danny's body based on descriptions given to them by suspects.

These guys don't care if they get caught. Their goal is to be convicted and possible put to death for their cause-- whatever sick twisted cause that happens to be.
__________________
sharky is offline  
Old 06-10-2002, 01:34 AM   #14
Acrobat
 
lady lemonade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: where the shhhreets have no name...
Posts: 492
Local Time: 11:02 PM

The idea of watching another man getting murdered is just sickening and serves absolutely no purpose. So the murderers were evil monsters but that doesn't mean that making the tape available to the general public is justified, we could deduct that from the accounts. Enough with the voyeurism! Nobody wants to be videotaped in their last dying moments for the world to see, especially under such horrific circumstances. They should leave the man some diginity, have respect for his family. Yuck, this is like reality tv brought to a whole new disgusting level...
__________________
lady lemonade is offline  
Old 06-10-2002, 08:07 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
oliveu2cm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Live from Boston
Posts: 8,334
Local Time: 12:02 AM
What a sad, sad horrible thing. I wonder if having this video available crosses the line on explotation of a violent crime. There is no need to ever have this available for veiwing- our imaginations are strong enough to understand what he must have suffered, and we do not need to see this violence to offer condolensces to his family and friends, or to build a stronger national alliance or whatever the point was (if there was one!) in making this accessible to people. They should remove the video and offer an apology to his family for putting it up in the first place.
__________________

__________________
oliveu2cm is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com