Victory in the house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotpepper

War Child
In case you didn't know:

Members of the U.S. House of Representatives voted yesterday 286-140 to pass the 2007 continuing resolution!!

If the bill also passes in the Senate before Feb. 14 then instead of AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis and refugee programs receiving no increases from 2006 to 2007, they will receive an increase of $1.45 billion. The difference will add up to hundreds of thousands of lives.

It's time to let your senators know how important this is.

http://action.one.org/blog/comments.jsp?blog_entry_KEY=379&t=

The San Francisco ONE group was lucky enough to have a meeting with Speaker Pelosi's office. Nice timing!

http://action.one.org/blog/comments.jsp?blog_entry_KEY=382&t

That's me - second from left.

Not to put a damper on this, but the House was the easy part, by far. And if we had to fight to keep this on the table, let alone passed, then the Senate is going to be a stretch. And as we all know, the Senate has Iraq on their hands right now in a BIG way.

I was a veteran of the anti-horse slaughter battle in October-December 2005 (other wise known as the "Barbaro Bill" --R.I.P, Big Fella, hope you are running free with all the lovely mares Up There. *sniff*) It easily cleared the House but then was buried in committee.

Thankfully, this started out as more of a high-profile issue but that will a REAL challenge, to keep it from being buried in committee with Congress focused on other things.

I wish you all luck and I will be watching!

w00t! lets see what happens in the senate. when i wrote to my congressman, he actually wrote back to me!! :hyper: he told me he has been a longtime supporter of increasing development assistance, and that he's gonna keep it up! if i ever see him, i'm gonna give him a big ol bear hug.

Back
Top Bottom