Vicente Fox's Comment - How Is That Not Racist? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 05-16-2005, 04:27 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 04:10 PM
Vicente Fox's Comment - How Is That Not Racist?

I don't see how on earth that can't be considered a racist comment. Whether it had a racist motovation or not, I don't think you can "interpret" it any other way

Mexican leader criticized for comment on blacks

(CNN) -- The Rev. Jesse Jackson on Saturday criticized Mexican President Vicente Fox's comment that Mexican immigrants to the United States take jobs "that not even blacks want to do."

Jackson called the remark "a spurious comparison" with "ominous racial overtones."

The Mexican president's office issued a statement late Saturday disputing the negative interpretation of his comments, saying Fox has "enormous respect to minorities whatever their racial, ethnic, or religious origin may be."

A Mexican official defended Fox later in the day, saying his description was not meant as an insult.

"The president didn't make a declaration in the racist sense; of course there are those who interpret it in that way," Foreign Relations Secretary Luis Derbez told a reporter in the Mexican state of Jalisco.

According to Derbez, Fox was making the point that "Mexican migrants are making great contributions in the United States and that their role is a positive role."

"They've been able to improve the conditions of life not just for themselves but also for the communities in which they settle and, by the same token, the president made the comment in this context to say that a large quantity of the jobs taken by Mexicans are jobs that in the U.S. society aren't being filled."

"I think that what we have to be very clear about is that the statement made by the president was in no way motivated by racism."

But Jackson told CNN in a telephone interview that Fox "should not confuse the need for sound legal immigration policy between the two countries, which is important, and the border disputes between the two countries, with a spurious comparison."

"The comparison is diversionary from the issue of a workable immigration policy between the U.S. and Mexico."

Jackson, who said he has never met Fox, planned to call the Mexican president.

Fox made the controversial comment Friday to a group of Texas businessmen meeting in Mexico. He criticized recent steps the United States has taken that the Bush administration said were aimed at curbing illegal immigration.

Fox discussed the role that many Mexican immigrants occupy in the U.S. economy.

Speaking in Spanish, he said, "There is no doubt that Mexicans, filled with dignity, willingness and ability to work, are doing jobs that not even blacks want to do there in the United States."

A State Department spokesman who asked not to be named, read CNN a statement saying, "That level of dialogue doesn't merit comment."

The spokesman also said, "President Bush's commitment to immigration reform that is rational, legal, common sense, decent and compassionate is well-documented."

Jackson said he has worked "for the citizenship rights of immigrants and Mexican Americans" and wants steps taken to avoid making the United States "hostile toward immigration policy."

He said Fox's comment about "blacks" seemed to be about a stereotype. "Most poor Americans are not black, they're white," he added.

But Jackson stopped short of saying Fox should apologize.

"I don't know about that," he said, adding that the comment was "unwitting, unnecessary, and inappropriate."

Old 05-16-2005, 04:44 AM   #2
It was a racist comment. Not only to blacks but to Mexicans. He was basically confirming that his country can't take care of it's own people nor solve the problems. He seems to think America should do it for him.
He needs to be making things better in his own country so mexican people can find good jobs and medical care in Mexico instead of having to depend on America.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:09 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 01:10 PM
Fox needs to learn how to use US political arguments.

The argument that "no one else will do the work" has always had racial undertones - those typically used to support illegal immigration by labeling opponents as racist (or, at a minimum, use the "you are a racist, prove me wrong" argument).

Fox misused the standard argument and it backfired.

And Jesse Jackson not calling for Fox to apologize should say something on how racial politics works in the US.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 03:10 PM
that comment was not only rascist but ignorant...
besides, instead of talking about the big work of the mexican inmigrants in the USA he must be thinking how to keep the people happy in their own country. You don't leave your home just because
Old 05-16-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 08:10 PM
I can't believe the President of Mexico made this comment.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Freakin' blacks.

Seriously though, it was obviously a racist comment. I mean, just as someone else commented earlier, how else can you take a comment like that?
Old 05-16-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
New Yorker
The US needs to liberate Mexico of its WMDs.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
i smell a rationale for invasion ... sorry, "liberation"
Old 05-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #9
New Yorker
well fine. but I would also bet that there are jobs in Mexico that not even Mexicans will take since they come here, so perhaps our blacks can take those. You know, I bet those black people would love to drink tequila with their fried chicken and watermelon. And then those black people can get out of our country and our crime rate will go down. Well, until those damn Mexicans start trouble.

Fox is a moron and it says alot that he is good friends with Bush. [yeah, I bashed Bush. so what?]
Old 05-16-2005, 03:15 PM   #10
love, blood, life
Local Time: 06:10 AM
I smell another dog bites man story, the fact is that a lot of the world is very racist and when it comes to such things a harmless comment like this pales in comparison to slavery and genocide ~ two more pressing issues that still go on that should be wiped out.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:47 PM   #11
New Yorker
Honestly, I think its overblown as well yet for some reason humorous to me. Maybe Comedy Central will offer Fox a contract to Dave Chappelle style show and call it the Vincente Fox Show considering Dave ain't coming back for a third season.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:13 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 02:10 PM
Well, in Latin America it's a differnet POV. There's a song by Enanitos Verdes that says "work like a black to live like a dog" and nobody really complains about it.

I think the whole "black" issue in the US is ten million times more serious than in Latin America.

I don't doubt he said it but it really is a normal saying here. He didn't mean any harm.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:41 PM   #13
love, blood, life
Mexico is pretty corrupt it seems, and, I agree that Fox depending on illegal immigration to improve the lives of Mexicans is very pathetic.

Fox should spend this much energy asking for financial assistance to build up the nation. If he was smart, he'd demand economic assistance to improve the Mexican economy and infrastructure under the guise of trying to stop illegal emigration from Mexico. But it appears that he hasn't done that at all.

And, as I see it, the "work that no one else will do" argument doesn't hold water at all. It's true that Mexicans do perform tasks that no one else will do, such as migrant labor, for instance. But here's the difference: most all migrant workers are here legally! I'm sure that if the U.S. was able to end illegal immigration completely from Mexico and discover that certain low-end job sectors were being unfilled, they'd of course allow for more legal immigration of Mexicans to fill that void. No doubt about it.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #14
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
Well, in Latin America it's a differnet POV. There's a song by Enanitos Verdes that says "work like a black to live like a dog" and nobody really complains about it.

I think the whole "black" issue in the US is ten million times more serious than in Latin America.

I don't doubt he said it but it really is a normal saying here. He didn't mean any harm.

This is quite true actually, here in Mexico we use the word "black" quite easily without meaning any real harm or without any racist tone, but Fox should've known better, his mouth usually get's the best of him, but hey it's only one more year with him
Old 05-17-2005, 12:53 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:10 PM

Propogating such news is propogating hate.

Its was a not-so-good and not appropriate statement...lets get over it and move ahead.

A_wanderer is right !!