Vice Presidential Debate - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2004, 09:02 PM   #31
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:08 PM
I think Cheney is charismatic in his own way. I have not been impressed with Edwards in term of his impact in the primary debates.... He was always overshadowed and didn't they have like a ton of debates...

Old 10-05-2004, 02:43 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant

Honestly how well do you think debating a trial lawyer is gonna compare to Dick Cheney who, if nothing else, we can all agree he is a brilliant politician?
I think a brilliant trial lawyer like Edwards could be a formidable opponent for a politician, especially when the politician in question has the personality of a toad. But I don't think it's a slam dunk by any means. We'll see tonight.

Old 10-05-2004, 03:36 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

What is this "debate" people keep talking about? It's a glorified press conference if that!

Which is why the advantage goes to Edwards. Cheney is one of the most unlikeable figures out there and just about the only way he'd seem personable is if his opponent was Rumsfeld. This is not a debate, nor are classical debate skills necessary, all that matters is who comes across better to the audience. A guy whom the media refers to as Darth Vader is hardly going to inspire.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:42 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Good point.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:13 PM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
What is this "debate" people keep talking about? It's a glorified press conference if that!

Which is why the advantage goes to Edwards. Cheney is one of the most unlikeable figures out there and just about the only way he'd seem personable is if his opponent was Rumsfeld. This is not a debate, nor are classical debate skills necessary, all that matters is who comes across better to the audience. A guy whom the media refers to as Darth Vader is hardly going to inspire.
I had the chance to see him speak and he really is a warm, friendly person. Maybe when he is talking about serious issues people just think he can't have fun.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:26 PM   #36
The Fly

I can't help but get an image of a lumbering King Kong (Cheney) trying to swat at a strategically, stinging bee (Edwards).

I think Edwards will be prepared the way Kerry was. I think they've gotten together and have prepared a united frontal assault. Cheney has years behind him, but I agree with a number of the prior posts in that he has years as a behind the scenes politician. As a front man for this administration, he hasn't done very well. (Could this be why he was rarely seen in public?)

And now is the time to show up - front and center.

But more than anything, I would PAY to hear Cheney get all riled-up and start swearing the way he did at the 9/11 Commission. That would be INCREDIBLE!!! But I have a feeling the GOP will have him on some kind of "nice, warm, caring guy" hypnotic suggestion, since that is his "weak"point. Oh well...

Yes, I am watching... (Popping some corn, sitting back and watching the fur fly!!! It's almost showtime!!)
Old 10-05-2004, 05:18 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

........getting nervous.........
Old 10-05-2004, 05:28 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

U2Democrat

PS: Hey U2Democrat, do you have MSN...?
Old 10-05-2004, 05:56 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
I think one big problem with Cheney is that he has no charisma. Fact it, the guy is boring. I would say he's as exciting as watching paint dry but that would be an insult to paint.

But seriously!....when you have a guy like Dick against someone who is younger and more outgoing like Edwards, things are going to go in Edwards favor. Plus, Dick has never needed to debate anyone on a regular basis like this in the past ten, fifteen years. Edwards has served as a senator and before that, a lawyer. He has the advantage.
Dick Cheney served as SECRETARY OF DEFENSE which is a very demanding and difficult job. Your constantly being questioned and sometimes attack by Congressman and Senators on both sides of the isle. Dick Cheney was incredible in this environment and successfully debated those that attacked his defense policy during the first Gulf War. Every day, he was up there on the "HILL" explaining to members of Congress in public and private meetings how the military was preparing for every contingency in the run up to the first Gulf War as well as the war itself when the decision was made to go. He was absolutely brilliant in doing this.

Edwards only advantage is being a sex symbol. I don't know how at 51 he pulls this off, but he obviously does based on the reactions of many people here.

It will be interesting to see what polling of women will show after the debate as far as who won.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:11 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Jesus...Edwards is coming out swinging HARD at Cheney in this one...
Old 10-05-2004, 06:22 PM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

and cheney is most certainly swinging right back...
Old 10-05-2004, 06:24 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

cheney's howard dean comparison was quite nice, i must say...
Old 10-05-2004, 06:30 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Indeed.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:31 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

where ever you sit on the fence doesn't matter... you can agree with bush/cheney, you can agree with kerry/edwards...

however, if bush had hit back at kerry the way cheney is hitting back at edwards, this election would be all but over right now.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:32 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Cheney looks extremely pissed, like he's trying for the life of him to keep his temper in check.