Vice Presidential Debate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
drivemytrabant said:

Honestly how well do you think debating a trial lawyer is gonna compare to Dick Cheney who, if nothing else, we can all agree he is a brilliant politician?

I think a brilliant trial lawyer like Edwards could be a formidable opponent for a politician, especially when the politician in question has the personality of a toad. But I don't think it's a slam dunk by any means. We'll see tonight.

What is this "debate" people keep talking about? It's a glorified press conference if that!

Which is why the advantage goes to Edwards. Cheney is one of the most unlikeable figures out there and just about the only way he'd seem personable is if his opponent was Rumsfeld. This is not a debate, nor are classical debate skills necessary, all that matters is who comes across better to the audience. A guy whom the media refers to as Darth Vader is hardly going to inspire.

anitram said:
What is this "debate" people keep talking about? It's a glorified press conference if that!

Which is why the advantage goes to Edwards. Cheney is one of the most unlikeable figures out there and just about the only way he'd seem personable is if his opponent was Rumsfeld. This is not a debate, nor are classical debate skills necessary, all that matters is who comes across better to the audience. A guy whom the media refers to as Darth Vader is hardly going to inspire.

I had the chance to see him speak and he really is a warm, friendly person. Maybe when he is talking about serious issues people just think he can't have fun.

I can't help but get an image of a lumbering King Kong (Cheney) trying to swat at a strategically, stinging bee (Edwards).

I think Edwards will be prepared the way Kerry was. I think they've gotten together and have prepared a united frontal assault. Cheney has years behind him, but I agree with a number of the prior posts in that he has years as a behind the scenes politician. As a front man for this administration, he hasn't done very well. (Could this be why he was rarely seen in public?)

And now is the time to show up - front and center.

But more than anything, I would PAY to hear Cheney get all riled-up and start swearing the way he did at the 9/11 Commission. That would be INCREDIBLE!!! But I have a feeling the GOP will have him on some kind of "nice, warm, caring guy" hypnotic suggestion, since that is his "weak"point. Oh well...

Yes, I am watching... :dance: (Popping some corn, sitting back and watching the fur fly!!! It's almost showtime!!)

Last edited:
sharky said:
I think one big problem with Cheney is that he has no charisma. Fact it, the guy is boring. I would say he's as exciting as watching paint dry but that would be an insult to paint.

But seriously!....when you have a guy like Dick against someone who is younger and more outgoing like Edwards, things are going to go in Edwards favor. Plus, Dick has never needed to debate anyone on a regular basis like this in the past ten, fifteen years. Edwards has served as a senator and before that, a lawyer. He has the advantage.

Dick Cheney served as SECRETARY OF DEFENSE which is a very demanding and difficult job. Your constantly being questioned and sometimes attack by Congressman and Senators on both sides of the isle. Dick Cheney was incredible in this environment and successfully debated those that attacked his defense policy during the first Gulf War. Every day, he was up there on the "HILL" explaining to members of Congress in public and private meetings how the military was preparing for every contingency in the run up to the first Gulf War as well as the war itself when the decision was made to go. He was absolutely brilliant in doing this.

Edwards only advantage is being a sex symbol. I don't know how at 51 he pulls this off, but he obviously does based on the reactions of many people here.

It will be interesting to see what polling of women will show after the debate as far as who won.:wink:

Zing.

Cheney just painted himself into a corner on records and Edwards took the opportunity. Then Cheney messes up who the question was supposed to be to and Edwards gets him on that one too.

Ouch. :|

And by that I mean the "He voted against Meals on Wheels for seniors. He voted against a national holiday for Dr. Martin Luther King."

And Cheney had nothing to say.

WOW,

The Foreign Policy part is over and its safe to say Edwards got his clock cleaned to a degree that not even I expected!

GO CHENEY:up:

dave c, i'll have to disagree... edwards could have taken it to cheney on the whole "record" thing but he waited until after cheney really zinged him to return his zing, and he did it when he only had 30 seconds. could've done better on that one... i almost missed it 'cause i was still laughing from the "first time i've met you" line.

I liked when the moderator sassed Cheney on how much time he had

VP: I could answer that, but it'll take more than 30 seconds
Moderator: That's all you got

I think I can actually see smoke coming out of Cheney's ears

They're both doing excellent though

Xavier

I was referring to Edwards saying

"I don't think America can take 4 more years of your administration."

Zing?

Xavier

Back
Top Bottom