Vice Presidential Debate - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2004, 07:20 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:18 AM
I think the point was however that it's difficult to be able to get your point across successfully with 8 other people in a debate than just one other. That was probably why Edwards appeared weak in the primary debates.

Old 10-04-2004, 07:28 PM   #17
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
I think the point was however that it's difficult to be able to get your point across successfully with 8 other people in a debate than just one other. That was probably why Edwards appeared weak in the primary debates.

He appeared weak. I agree with you. Now what proof can you guys point to that has him performing strongly in a debate? That was the point.

Old 10-04-2004, 07:36 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:18 AM
they say edwards was running for vp

sharpton was the strongest in that bunch
Old 10-04-2004, 07:40 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant

Now what proof can you guys point to that has him performing strongly in a debate? That was the point.
I don't know if you'd call it 'proof' but he is famously reputed to have been a brilliant courtroom debater. Actually you could say the proof is in the number of cases he won throughout his career. That skill would easily be transferable to a political debate.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:47 PM   #20
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I don't know if you'd call it 'proof' but he is famously reputed to have been a brilliant courtroom debater. Actually you could say the proof is in the number of cases he won throughout his career. That skill would easily be transferable to a political debate.
Honestly how well do you think debating a trial lawyer is gonna compare to Dick Cheney who, if nothing else, we can all agree he is a brilliant politician?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:49 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

we can all agree he is a brilliant politician?

How did you arrive at this?
Old 10-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #22
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

How did you arrive at this?
Well Mr. Cheney has worked with four Presidents, As Vice President under Bush and Chief of Staff under Ford. He was elected five times in the state of Wyoming, He was also elected the Chairman of the Republican Policy Committee from 1981 to 1987. He was elected Chairman of the House Republican Conference in 1987 and elected House Minority Whip in 1988. Proof enough that he is at least a brilliant politician I think.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:31 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Quote:

Well Mr. Cheney has worked with four Presidents, As Vice President under Bush and Chief of Staff under Ford. He was elected five times in the state of Wyoming, He was also elected the Chairman of the Republican Policy Committee from 1981 to 1987. He was elected Chairman of the House Republican Conference in 1987 and elected House Minority Whip in 1988. Proof enough that he is at least a brilliant politician I think.
It is actually. If he can keep getting job after job like that after f*cking up each one, then yes, I'd say he is a very good politician and very convincing.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:36 PM   #24
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

It is actually. If he can keep getting job after job like that after f*cking up each one, then yes, I'd say he is a very good politician and very convincing.
I respond with facts and you respond with none. The good people of Wyoming disagree with your baseless statement.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:38 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Does this not only prove that he is a partisan insider?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:42 PM   #26
War Child

It proves that as far as politics is concerned--he has been able to keep a job for a very long time. Just because you don't agree with him doesn't mean he isn't a good politician. Kerry is also a good politician. I don't agree with a word that comes out of his mouth but I'll give him that.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:44 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 10:18 AM
I'm gonna watch simply b/c Dick Cheney is so hot!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
[B Kerry is also a good politician. I don't agree with a word that comes out of his mouth but I'll give him that. [/B]

ah c'mon.

He closed his debate remarks with

"God bless America".
Old 10-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #29
New Yorker

I think one big problem with Cheney is that he has no charisma. Fact it, the guy is boring. I would say he's as exciting as watching paint dry but that would be an insult to paint.

But seriously!....when you have a guy like Dick against someone who is younger and more outgoing like Edwards, things are going to go in Edwards favor. Plus, Dick has never needed to debate anyone on a regular basis like this in the past ten, fifteen years. Edwards has served as a senator and before that, a lawyer. He has the advantage.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:55 PM   #30
War Child

Advantage in the court room--yes. Advatange in a debate for the Vice Presidency no. The guy has very little political experience. One term senator vs. the current vice president and a five termer and former chief of staff. There is no way Edwards has the upperhand. But I also won't dimish the looks over substance argument. There is no doubt that Edwards looks better than Cheney and has more charisma. But as far as the upperhand in a debate with someone who has been in politics longer than I have been alive--the answer is no.