Vice Presidential Debate - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2004, 05:14 PM   #256
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:19 AM
That's incredibly naive.

Use some common sense.

Old 10-07-2004, 06:01 PM   #257
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 PM
Dave,

All Sting is asking for is evidence. If you want to convict them on less, so be it.

Old 10-07-2004, 06:51 PM   #258
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:19 AM
anyway, moving right along...

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

Cheney really shocked me on the gay marriage issue. I do feel very badly for him when it's brought up, knowing that he's really caught between a rock and a hard place. I thought he did extremely well with staying composed and dignified, and Edwards was very conciliatory towards him on that.
I just talked to a couple of gay friends for the first time since the debate and they were really offended by the way Edwards brought up Cheney's daughter. They felt it was "sleezy" and "disgusting" in that they thought Edwards was almost saying, "poor Cheney, must be rough having a gay daughter" and that he used it inappropriately to make a point to the Christian right. It struck me as very odd that he brought it up at all although I didn't quite have the same response that my friends did. They, by the way, have already voted for Kerry via absentee ballot.

So I'm just wondering what everyone else's take on it was. Sorry if it's already been discussed--I scanned the pages quickly looking for references to it and this is all I found but I didn't read every post.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:03 PM   #259
Blue Crack Addict

A friend and I talked about it at work and we both actually felt the same way. I found Edwards to be really awkward talking about homosexuality, and it was like he was stumbling over his words and trying to be overly-PC but it ended up sounding really awkward and patronizing.

I liked Cheney's responses there. I respect that he disagrees with Bush, and I respect the way he handled it all. IMO, he came across better than Edwards on this point.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:06 PM   #260
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:19 AM
I agree with you, anitram.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:01 PM   #261
New Yorker

I dunno. I liked the fact that he said that as a way to diffuse the situation. There are liberals who say "Cheney is an ass for denying his daughter the right to marry." but what they don't say is "Cheney is a good guy for accepting his daughter for who she is." I visit many liberal blogs [no kidding] and there was an ad campaign earlier by some pro-gay group trying to shame Mary for working on her father's campaign when he works with a guy pushing through that stupid amendment. If Edwards didn't mention it, pro-gay groups would have spun it as "Cheney wouldn't even acknowledge his dauther!" Edwards brought it up, said nice words about Cheney's family and, in doing so, maybe steered away some of the controversy away from Cheney's family and to the issue at hand.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:02 PM   #262
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Dave,

All Sting is asking for is evidence. If you want to convict them on less, so be it.
What about the photos of Cheney and Edwards together? What about the links to stories I provided? These guys are hanging by their own words, their own actions. Please reread my earlier posts with the included links.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:07 PM   #263
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
The key to these statistics are the credits and "loopholes" in the tax code. The items, which either reduce taxable income or reduce tax liability, are inserted to encourage certain behaviors by taxpayers.

Usually, they result in the intended benefit for which they were created. So, for every dollar not paid in taxes, that amount, more is going to some benefit encouraged by the tax code.

The amount of effort a taxpayer puts into "tax avoidence" (which, for the record is legal and done, in some measure, by nearly all taxpayers) is directly related to the rate of taxation and the complexity of the tax code.

To take these numbers and come to a conclusion of "greed" is an innaccurate representation of our current tax system.
The level that corporations go to to avoid taxes and beef of the bottom line and their pockets would astound you. There are people at some of these big financial firms whose jobs are to move money around for corporations so they can avoid taxes. It's insane how many billions, if not trillions, are tranferred around every year for these companies to avoid taxes and they go drectly to the CEOs.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:11 PM   #264
Blue Crack Addict

But as I said, it's irrational to think that ANY administration, Democrat or Republican, Canadian or American, whatever, has not lied once at some point.

Use your common sense.

Oh, and what about that "Terror Report" a year or so ago that Colin Powell came straight out and said was not true?
Old 10-07-2004, 09:40 PM   #265
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

The level that corporations go to to avoid taxes and beef of the bottom line and their pockets would astound you. There are people at some of these big financial firms whose jobs are to move money around for corporations so they can avoid taxes. It's insane how many billions, if not trillions, are tranferred around every year for these companies to avoid taxes and they go drectly to the CEOs.
I am well aware of the efforts used by taxpayers of any size to reduce tax liabilities. It is a product of a complicated tax code that tries to engage in social engineering as it brings in revenue.

Tax evasion is illegal and should be prosecuted. Tax avoidance is common sense.

And the millions & trillions do not go directly to CEOs. Otherwise, it would be the Forbes 400,000 not the Forbes 400.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:58 AM   #266
Blue Crack Addict

Warning, don't look here <--------
Old 10-08-2004, 10:24 AM   #267
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Warning, don't look here <--------
Or, you could just look at any one of my posts that I have ever made...
Old 10-08-2004, 10:25 AM   #268
Blue Crack Addict

It's only 285-232 for Bush right now...with a month to go and over 170 EV's still considered statistical ties, that's nothing. Anybody could be winning this at this point.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:45 AM   #269
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 AM
This thing is going to be the classic "cliff-hanger". It's totally unpredictable.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:10 AM   #270
Blue Crack Addict

Scratch that, those were yesterday's numbers.

Today Kerry has the lead, 280-239. Ohio and Michigan both moved into the Kerry column.