Vice Presidential Debate - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2004, 07:54 AM   #181
War Child

Local Time: 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant
Congressional auditors have said that the contracts received by Halliburton met the legal guidelines put forth in giving a contract without competition--because Halliburton was the only company with the capability to perform some of the work.

Edwards also said that "They sent 40,000 American troops into Iraq without the body armor they needed." General Peter Pace, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs disagrees saying that "every soldier and Marine on the ground had body armor."

Edwards said that we have spent 200 billion on Iraq when it is clear as the Vice President pointed out that 120 billion is the number and the rest of the money Edwards is referring to is for Afghanistan and the global war on terror.

Cheney did say that Iraq supported terrorism:
"Concern about Iraq specifically focused on the fact that Saddam Hussein had been, for years, listed on the state sponsor of terror, that they he had established relationships with Abu Nidal, who operated out of Baghdad; he paid $25,000 to the families of suicide bombers; and he had an established relationship with Al Qaida."
He also stated that "The report also points out that at one point some of Zarqawi's people were arrested. Saddam personally intervened to have them released, supposedly at the request of Zarqawi"
Not disputed opinions but facts.

Edwards did not respond to the question of would Saddam Hussein would still be in power had he and Mr. Kerry been in office.

Edwards dodged the "Global Test" question by saying "Well, let me say, first, he said in the same segment — I don't remember precisely where it was connected with what you just read — but he said, point blank, "We will never give anyone a veto over the security of the United States of America."

Ms. Ifill said that "French and German officials have both said they have no intention even if John Kerry is elected of sending any troops into Iraq for any peacekeeping effort. Does that make your effort or your plan to internationalize this effort seem kind of naive?" Edwards responded by dodging this question as well. "Well, let's start with what we know. What we know is that the president and the vice president have not done the work to build the coalition that we need — dramatically different than the first Gulf War. We know that they haven't done it, and we know they can't do it."

Mr. Edwards did not explain why he missed what Mr. Cheney called " a lot of key votes: on tax policy, on energy, on Medicare reform." Mr. Cheney also said that he had " one of the worst attendance records in the United States Senate." Along with the classic line: "Now, in my capacity as vice president, I am the president of Senate, the presiding officer. I'm up in the Senate most Tuesdays when they're in session.The first time I ever met you was when you walked on the stage tonight."
Goodness I forgot one:
Edwards said that while U.S. troops were fighting in Iraq, the Bush administration "lobbied the Congress to cut their combat pay. This is the height of hypocrisy."

Its also untrue.

When increased allowances for the troops was set to expire as stipulated by the CONGRESS, the Pentagon said it would make up for any shortcomings in the troops pay through incentive pay or other means.

Old 10-06-2004, 07:56 AM   #182
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:09 PM
President Kyan

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:10 AM   #183
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

They are. the point is Cheney said he never made a connection between al Qaeda and Iraq yet he has REPEATEDLY done so.
Yes but part of your post said that Saddam was a "man who provided safe harbor and sanctuary to terrorists for years"
This is clearly true. It is also clear that no fewer than five high-ranking Czech officials have publicly confirmed that Mohammed Atta, the lead September 11 hijacker, met with Ahmed Khalil Ibrahim al-Ani, an Iraqi intelligence officer working at the Iraqi embassy, in Prague five months before the hijacking. Is this not the meeting of an al Qaeda official with and Iraqi official? While this is not a concrete connection between Saddam and al Qaeda, it certainly disproves that there was no contact between Iraq and al Qaeda.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:45 AM   #184
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Style points? First of all, his bald head was too shiny and his tie was too dark. Presence? Edwards runs, Cheney is fat. He obviously had a bigger presence.

I don't want style and presence. I want plans, ideas, and not international quagmires. If I was voting for president based on style points, I would vote for the guys from Queer Eye.
well we all know that kerry and edwards have a plan for iraq they keep telling us that they have a plan over and over again good for them they should be proud of themselves maybe some day they'll share that plan with the rest of us
Old 10-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #185
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk269

This might just be the worst analogy I have ever read. Musicians communicating was like Saddam and Al-Qaeda?

AJ
I thought it was pretty good.

Hawk,

Youre an intelligent guy, and I appreciate your point.
I dis agree with your logic however.

Similar musical groups do communicate when theyre going to release their work, what type of work they're going to do release etc. They are not entirely specific. No I'm not saying they camp out at eachother's studio, like the 9-11 Report states. No one has said that.

Btw, have your read the entire 9-11 Report?

thanks,
diamond
Old 10-06-2004, 08:55 AM   #186
Blue Crack Distributor

i have... but then again, you weren't asking me were ya?

btw... so nice to have the Godfather of the RNC back on the boards
Old 10-06-2004, 08:56 AM   #187
ONE
love, blood, life

no Headache with all the time on your hands I'm not surprised.

db9
Old 10-06-2004, 08:58 AM   #188
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 10-06-2004, 09:12 AM   #189
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Style points? First of all, his bald head was too shiny and his tie was too dark. Presence? Edwards runs, Cheney is fat. He obviously had a bigger presence.

I don't want style and presence. I want plans, ideas, and not international quagmires. If I was voting for president based on style points, I would vote for the guys from Queer Eye.
Jenny,
Its been a while.
How ya been kid?

What's wrong w/partially bald heads btw?

I do think Cheney won on substance as well.
Be good.

your friend,
diamond
Old 10-06-2004, 09:23 AM   #190
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
And remember that whole "I never met Edwards before tonight."

CHENEY LIED!

I love how we throw out the term "lie" like it was a casual greeting.

Take a look at the c o n t e x t of his statement. Cheney shows up to perform his senate duties. Edwards hasn't been around as much. Cheney was simply making the point that he never met him on the Senate floor.

But if you think old CSPAN images are more important than Edwards doing his job as a senator, then by all means go with it.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:48 AM   #191
New Yorker

Cheney met him on the Senate floor when Edwards attended the swearing in of Senator Elizabeth Dole of NC. Cheney's bald head is on the left with his back to the camera. He is FACING John Edwards.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/10/6/104324/489

And Patrick Leahy said last night that Cheney probably didn't meet Edwards for business. Cheney did indeed go almost every Tuesday to meet with senators but as Leahy said, he RARELY met with Democratic senators
Old 10-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #192
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:09 PM

It's obvious that Cheney didn't tell the truth in order to deliver a nifty one-liner, I don't know why it's so hard to admit to that and move on.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:00 AM   #193
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:09 PM

By the way, here's an interesting article about the lies and truths in the debate.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:03 AM   #194
ONE
love, blood, life

it's apparent brother cheney was underwhelmed with edwards first intoduction and had forgotten about it.

john edwards never went out of his way to introduce himself in the Senate, that's the point.

db9
Old 10-06-2004, 10:28 AM   #195
War Child

Location: 21 Duke Street Dublin eating a gorgonzola sandwich!
Local Time: 04:09 PM
During the debate last nite Cheney mentioned the website factcheck.com click the link and see what you find! http://www.factcheck.com