Vice Presidential Debate - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2004, 06:16 AM   #166
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

The fact that Cheney rarely mentioned Bush is odd.
He must secretly be humiliated by Bush.

I thought Edwards started out weak but once he realized that his courtroom style wasn't going to fly, he toned it down, got more real and got stronger. Cheney was damn good, though. As much as I despise the man, I have to say he pulled out some awesome shots. Still, that steely coldness I wouldn't think would sit well with Americans. He just comes across as an articulate thug to me.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:24 AM   #167
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:48 AM
my favorite line was from edwards that we can't take four more years of their experience. i've been saying the EXACT same thing for months now. hmmmmm, do i sense a connection between me and edwards?

but i still think it was a tie. they were both VERY strong and tough.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:35 AM   #168
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

The fact that Cheney rarely mentioned Bush is odd.

Throwing a bone to the consipracy theorists that Cheney i really the President.

j/k... I thought it was a tie. Just for the fact that Edwards held his own.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:54 AM   #169
Blue Crack Distributor

i curse way too much when i post after drinking.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:58 AM   #170
ONE
love, blood, life

The Man With The Yellow Hat won this debate.

He won it on prescence and style points.

db9
Old 10-06-2004, 06:59 AM   #171
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i curse way too much when i post after drinking.
it's ok man; I do it too much sober.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:01 AM   #172
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:48 AM
I just had the chance to watch the debate last night, and to me it seemed like a draw. I was actually surprised (and a bit relieved) to see Edwards come out as strong as he did against Cheney and the Bush administration. Cheney clearly had some stronger responses, but he also backed away on several challenges from Edwards (Haliburton, voting against the same defense programs Kerry voted against, voting against plastic weapons ban, Martin Luther King Day, release of Nelson Mandela, meals on wheels, etc).
Old 10-06-2004, 07:15 AM   #173
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk269

From the Washington Post:
"The reason I keep insisting that there was a relationship between Iraq and Saddam and al Qaeda [is] because there was a relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda," Bush told reporters after a Cabinet meeting at the White House.

Bush said he had called Saddam Hussein a threat "because he had used weapons of mass destruction against his own people. He was a threat because he was a sworn enemy to the United States of America, just like al Qaeda. Now, he was a threat because he had terrorist connections, not only al Qaeda connections but other connections to terrorist organizations."

As recently as Monday, Cheney said in a speech that Hussein "had long-established ties with al Qaeda."

Bush, in his speech aboard an aircraft carrier on May 1, 2003, asserted: "The liberation of Iraq is a crucial advance in the campaign against terror. We've removed an ally of al Qaeda and cut off a source of terrorist funding."

"We didn't do anything to provoke the attack of 9/11. We were attacked by the terrorists, and we've responded forcefully and aggressively."

From cnn.com:
In June, Cheney said "we don't know" whether Iraq was involved in 9/11.

In September 2003, Cheney said Iraq under Saddam had been "the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11."

HOWEVER, during the debate with Edwards, Cheney said, "The senator has got his facts wrong. I have not suggested there's a connection between Iraq and 9/11, but there's clearly an established Iraqi track record with terror."

Now do you want to continue this little merry-go-round or do you want to GET REAL?

Let's put 2+2 together. Bush and Cheney consistently link Iraq to Al-Qaeda. Al-Qaeda was proven to be directly responsible for 9/11. So you are either suggesting that Al-Qaeda was not responsible for 9/11 or you are just denying that Bush and Cheney have been linking Iraq and 9/11 as a basis for an unjustifiable war, which is clearly a position that a reasonable person would not agree with based on the quotes above.

I'll continue this dance all night long, except I will be using quotes and facts and you will be using your opinion and rhetoric.

Have a good one.

AJ [/B]
I'm still waiting for a response to the content of my post.

Anyone want to try to refute these facts?

AJ
Old 10-06-2004, 07:20 AM   #174
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonExplorer
Headache,

Like Edwards accurately pointed out, there are al-Qaida in many nations worldwide. We're not going to connect that terrorist ring to every nation in which it is present, are we?
Some of us are coming along.
Even John Edwards.
We conservatives are very proud of you.

The first step is realizing Ai Qaida is in many countries. Very good.
For the last 3 years President Bush has said the War on Terror is
A Global War On Terror.

Al Qaida was in many countries before 9-11 planning to rehit the USA. I say REHIT as Al qaida did hit here during the 90s.

That the majority of Al Qaida are now in Iraq should say something.. To say that there was no knowledge or collaboration is like saying Bono and Michael Stipe are not in the same musical group (WELL DUH) but 'barely are accuainted with each-other.' Their ties are stronger than that and probably let eachother know of their on going work while they are doing it..

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that Saddam and al Queda communicated with eachother prior to and post 9-11.

Connect the dots, Sadaam probably knew of 9-11 and did nothing but waited and encouraged the terrorists that Iraq would be a safe haven for them later. Iraq has now become the new front.

If Saddam didn't want Iraq to become the new front he would have complied with the UN sacntions.-sp
It's that simple.

I would rather take the terrorists out there than here.

db9
Old 10-06-2004, 07:36 AM   #175
War Child

Couple of things from the debate last night--ABC is reporting that Dick Cheney won--CBS is reporting that Edwards won. As hawk269 pointed out--Mr. Cheney is on record as meeting Mr. Edwards 3 times. But seeing as how Mr. Edwards did not point out this fact during the debate--they must not have been very memorable. I don't think Mr. Cheney would lie about something that could so easily be disproved--but I'm sure most of you are going to disagree with me. Could it not be possible that he (along with Mr. Edwards) just forgot about the prior meetings?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:36 AM   #176
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
[B]

That the majority of Al Qaida are now in Iraq should say something.. To say that there was no knowledge or collaboration is like saying Bono and Michael Stipe are not in the same musical group but 'barely are accuainted with each-other.' Their ties are stronger than that and probably let eachother know of their on going work while they are doing it..
This might just be the worst analogy I have ever read. Musicians communicating was like Saddam and Al-Qaeda? You clearly don't know anything about either musicians or this political issue, since you offer nothing but opinions, which are completely contradicted by the 9/11 commission (a bi-partisan FACT-finding group).

Quote:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that Saddam and al Queda communicated with eachother prior to and post 9-11.

Connect the dots, Sadaam probably knew of 9-11 and did nothing but waited and encourage the terrorists that Iraq would be a safe haven for them later.

db9
You have no proof of any of this rhetoric. The 9/11 Commission report presents the facts and supports NOT ONE WORD of what you are saying. So keep on talking, but a little evidence to support your assertions would be a nice touch once in a while.

AJ
Old 10-06-2004, 07:38 AM   #177
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Cheney did not say in that clip that Saddam was behind 9/11! He stated that the war in Iraq would deny the terrorist of a potential base and supplier in the war on terrorism. Saddam Hussien was sending aid to terrorist in Israel who were walking into cafe's and disco's bombing civilians.
Sting, please READ my earlier post in this thread. On 9/13/04:
On Thursday in Cincinnati, Ohio, Cheney described Saddam as a "man who provided safe harbor and sanctuary to terrorists for years" and who "provided safe harbor and sanctuary as well for al Qaeda."

CHENEY LIED!

And remember that whole "I never met Edwards before tonight."
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/10/6/02029/3041

CHENEY LIED!

Geez, the evident is crystal clear right in front of you. How can you not see it? I respect your opinions Sting, but I don't have any respect for you if you keep denying these blatant lies when the facts are right in front of you.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2004, 07:44 AM   #178
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky

Sting, please READ my earlier post in this thread. On 9/13/04:
On Thursday in Cincinnati, Ohio, Cheney described Saddam as a "man who provided safe harbor and sanctuary to terrorists for years" and who "provided safe harbor and sanctuary as well for al Qaeda."

CHENEY LIED!

Abu Nidal and Zawquri are not terrorists?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:51 AM   #179
New Yorker

Quote:
He won it on prescence and style points.

db9
Style points? First of all, his bald head was too shiny and his tie was too dark. Presence? Edwards runs, Cheney is fat. He obviously had a bigger presence.

I don't want style and presence. I want plans, ideas, and not international quagmires. If I was voting for president based on style points, I would vote for the guys from Queer Eye.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:53 AM   #180
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemytrabant
Abu Nidal and Zawquri are not terrorists?
They are. the point is Cheney said he never made a connection between al Qaeda and Iraq yet he has REPEATEDLY done so.