Vegansexuals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Interesting, never heard of that-or of sex being a very effective form of outreach and activism.

abcnews.com

Vegansexuals' Do It With Each Other
Study Says Vegans Find Meat Eaters Sexually Repulsive
By RUSSELL GOLDMAN

August 2, 2007 —

Vegans, a new study has found, are grossed out by sex with meat eaters, and some so-called "vegansexuals" only want to roll in the alfalfa with other super strict vegetarians.

A recent study conducted in New Zealand found that vegans, notoriously finicky eaters who don't eat meat or animal byproducts, like eggs and dairy and don't like the idea of swapping spit (or anything else) with those who have been dining on flesh.

Annie Potts, a researcher at the University of Canterbury's Centre for Human-Animal Studies, noted that vegans, particularly women, found sex with meat eaters disgusting.

Vegans, she told ABC News.com from New Zealand, don't like sex with carnivores, for personal reasons: "They're attracted to people with similar interests;" ideological reasons: "they see meat eaters' bodies as being composed of the lives of others;" and sexual reasons: "they didn't want to engage in intimate sex ... because of the smells and tastes of their body fluids."

Potts sampled 157 vegans, 120 of whom were female.

All of the women, according to Potts, fell along a continuum. Some expressed discontent with being with meat-eating men, while others would sleep only with other vegans.

"It is totally, totally true," said Janna Cunnigham, a 46-year-old Brooklyn, N.Y., native, about the smells and tastes of carnivores.

"Their body odor is pungent. Their sweat is extremely smelly. Their spit, and all their body fluids, are strong and stinky. Vegetarian people are not so smelly," Cunningham, who has been a vegetarian for 32 years, and a vegan for 10, told ABC News.com.

Cunningham added that she has dated both meat eaters and vegetarians, but would stick to seeing only vegetarians in the future.

While PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, has long advocated people give up meat and go vegetarian, the animal rights group has its misgivings about vegans only sleeping with other vegans.

"Sex is a very effective form of outreach and activism," said Dan Shannon, a PETA spokesman, and 10-year veteran vegan, who thought meat eaters could be converted by their partners.

Shannon said he knew vegans who dated vegans exclusively, but suggested that acting repulsed by the scent of your date probably wasn't the best way to change his or her mind about veganism.

Potts said PETA's attitude differed from what was a very personal sentiment on the part of vegans who participated in the survey.

"PETA is taking a political position by using the bedroom to recruit vegans  this is about intimate relationships."

Potts added that more women responded to her survey than men, but those men who did respond were less likely to be disgusted about having sex with meat eaters.

"As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter too much to me," said Mike Hartikka, a 20-year-old vegan from San Diego, who has been in relationships with meat eaters and vegetarians.

But, he says, when it comes to long-term relationships, he would rather be with vegetarians or vegans.

That sentiment is borne out by Potts' research.

"It is really not that unusual that people want to be in relationships with those who they have things in common," she said.

one more reason
not to go vegan

however,
I have shared affection with tolerant vegans :wink:

I am sure it helps that I am a bit of a hygiene freak
frequent showers, brushing and flossing

cool well I'll stick with my pungent, strong, stinky men I guess

also the thought of sex as a way to convert people is kinda weird. i do not approve. It's one thing to be in an intimate, committed relationship and decide to go vegan because your partner is too and you want to try it, but I don't like the idea of the other person trying to convert them. Let people eat what they want :shrug:

Some people don't want to have sex with people who smoke.* Or they try to get the person they are dating to stop smoking.* I don't really see a whole lot of difference. :shrug:

* note: it's not just smoking -- just about anything can be put in here.

This reminds me of the movement in 2004 to sign pledges only to have sex with people who voted from the election until 2008 (when nonvoters would have a chance to redeem themselves). The next level of the pledge was to have sex only with people who voted for Kerry.

I don't know if I could seriously date a vegan. A vegetarian maybe, there are plenty of veggie recipes I enjoy eating and ways to cook meat on the side to add to my meal. But food and cooking are a huge part of my life and my discrimination wouldn't be limited to vegans (or possibly vegetarians) but to people who keep kosher and people with really boring bland and anti-spicy tastes.

My ex boyfriend objected when I put a few herbs into the scrambled eggs I was cooking us and his idea of exotic international cuisine was italian food. I just couldn't live with that for a prolonged period of time.

indra said:
Some people don't want to have sex with people who smoke.* Or they try to get the person they are dating to stop smoking.* I don't really see a whole lot of difference. :shrug:

Well, people who smoke taste like smoking, and even if they are willing to take their cigarette breaks outside, they smell a little like it too. Plus they have potential lung problems = worse stamina. :wink:

Also, is there any scientific evidence that eating meat or dairy causes worse body odor or more sweating? Somebody show me. I think it's in their heads. Are male vegans even more likely to be hygenic? One that I know refuses to wear shoes and doesn't shower or do laundry as frequently as the rest of us so he can save water....

Last edited:
Varitek said:
Well, people who smoke taste like smoking, and even if they are willing to take their cigarette breaks outside, they smell a little like it too. Plus they have potential lung problems = worse stamina. :wink:

Also, is there any scientific evidence that eating meat or dairy causes worse body odor or more sweating? Somebody show me. I think it's in their heads.

Even if it's only "in their heads" (that's what a lot of people say about being gay, you know :wink: ) does it matter if it bothers someone? And many meat eaters have heart problems which will also affect stamina, so what's the diff?

I actually do know (not in the biblical sense) a vegan who doesn't used anti persp or deodorant (he does swim and bathe though) and he smells great even after sweating. Maybe it's because of what he does or doesn't eat. Maybe he just got lucky in the body odor sweepstakes. Who knows.

Last edited:
Yeah certain things you eat can affect everything from smells of your secretions to the color and smell of your poop :ohmy: I am a vegetarian, and I would love to find a man that is a vegetarian, as well. But more importantly than that, if he's a meat eater and he respects vegetarianism and does not make stupid comments about it or tries to get me to eat meat, I would love that as well.

I have not had experience with people being stinky just because they eat meat. I guess a majority of the US eats meat and some people downright reek, but I haven't done sufficient experimentation with that subject to know.

Sometimes it's just that vegans cannot morally be with someone who eats meat because it could almost be like something they strongly oppose and find fault in.

MrsSpringsteen said:

While PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, has long advocated people give up meat and go vegetarian, the animal rights group has its misgivings about vegans only sleeping with other vegans.

"Sex is a very effective form of outreach and activism," said Dan Shannon, a PETA spokesman, and 10-year veteran vegan, who thought meat eaters could be converted by their partners.

I'm sorry, but :lmao:

"I'll sleep with you, but only if you go vegan".

Yes, I am being childish. I can see the point there, though. Being a vegan really is a lifestyle difference, so if someone who wasn't vegan dated one, I'm sure the nonvegan would be influenced. But saying sex is an effective way to convert someone? I don't think so.

I think the last line of the article sums up how I feel about this. I was a vegetarian (not vegan) for close to 10 years and I lived differently as a result. I went to different restaurants, etc. I think there is a lifestyle involved with being vegan, and as the last line said, it is more likely to be a situation of common interest more than anything else.

Varitek said:

Also, is there any scientific evidence that eating meat or dairy causes worse body odor or more sweating? Somebody show me. I think it's in their heads. Are male vegans even more likely to be hygenic? One that I know refuses to wear shoes and doesn't shower or do laundry as frequently as the rest of us so he can save water....

http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_bodyo.htm

It is proven that what you eat can effect how you smell. Although, it isn't just meat eaters. Mostly, it is about each individual and how their bodies process what they eat.

Re: Re: Vegansexuals

ylimeU2 said:

I'm sorry, but :lmao:

"I'll sleep with you, but only if you go vegan".

Hey

they hooked me with that one
more than once

I can't tell you how many veggie-burgers I have choked down

Last edited:
When I was a vegetarian I was very aware that meat eaters smelled differently, in a not-so-good way. This was particularly evident in a small office I worked in once where the bathroom was a bit too close to my office and, man oh man, I could not believe the smells emanating from there sometimes. Now that I'm eating meat again I am very aware of a change. Not to be gross, but what goes in must come out and there is quite a noticeable difference in the smell between meat eaters and vegetarians, and as someone else said, individual body chemistry plays a role as well.

I was never vegan, though, and never cared what my partners ate (as long as we had separate bathrooms, lol).

I also remember reading once that the Japanese think Americans in general smell bad because we consume more red meat than they do.

joyfulgirl said:

I also remember reading once that the Japanese think Americans in general smell bad because we consume more red meat than they do.

I was think the same once, but found out it's not that simple. Actually it's more like a racial thing than diet thing. Just like the color of hairs and eyes, the length of body hair. I don't think that can be used as criteria for me to choose my friend or partners.

As for the toilet part, something mean to smell bad, and I think the worst thing happenes not when someone ate meat, but when someone take a lot of garlic, onion or leek in their meals. No need to mention when someone who has had beans....:|

butter7 said:

I was think the same once, but found out it's not that simple. Actually it's more like a racial thing than diet thing. Just like the color of hairs and eyes, the length of body hair. I don't think that can be used as criteria for me to choose my friend or partners.

Where did you find this out? I'd like to know your source, because reading that smacks of sterotypes.

And did it occur to you that even if it were true, just perhaps, it could be caused by dietary differences in races? Like the example in the post you just quoted?

Last edited:
I have been a vegetarian for many years now, but I am mostly surrounded by eat meaters, and I have to say I haven't noticed them smelling worse than vegetarians, it always depends on your physical hygiene, I guess. I smell bad sometimes because I like to eat garlic, and some people find that appalling (I don't smell it myself). Vegetarians can smell bad, too, if they dont bush their teeths. So I really cannot tell. The only thing I know I don't like is the smell of meat. I am usually very tolerant when someone is eating meat in my presence, but I simply refuse to touch it, buy it or cook it. So, yes, that has caused some trouble with certain people who insist on having their meat.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Interesting, never heard of that-or of sex being a very effective form of outreach and activism.

abcnews.com

Vegansexuals' Do It With Each Other
Study Says Vegans Find Meat Eaters Sexually Repulsive
By RUSSELL GOLDMAN

August 2, 2007 —

"It is totally, totally true," said Janna Cunnigham, a 46-year-old Brooklyn, N.Y., native, about the smells and tastes of carnivores.

"Their body odor is pungent. Their sweat is extremely smelly. Their spit, and all their body fluids, are strong and stinky. Vegetarian people are not so smelly," Cunningham, who has been a vegetarian for 32 years, and a vegan for 10, told ABC News.com.

Like what Indra has stated,
For me personally if you swap the word "carnivore" with "smoker"......and "vegetarian" with "Non-smoking"I share the exact same veiws......you are likely to be attracted to people who have the same values and lifestyles, I don't see why this is such a suprise.

Last edited:
ylimeU2 said:

Where did you find this out? I'd like to know your source, because reading that smacks of sterotypes.

And did it occur to you that even if it were true, just perhaps, it could be caused by dietary differences in races? Like the example in the post you just quoted?

When I was a Uni student in my home country, I got two English teachers from the US and one from UK are Vegetarians. And non of the student has notice that from their body smell or anything like that. And I must say that one of the vegetarian teacher has quite strong smell and he always use heavy perfume and it just made it extremely unbearable, sometimes. One of the girls in my class could trace him in the building by the smell he left in the air, then point out which room he was in, just like dogs do! We tested her several times, she nearly got it all correct. :lol:

In my dormitory, some of the girls take shower on weekly bases in winter, while the rest, include myself, take shower every 2 or 3 days. Mainly because the public shower facility is very faraway from our dormitory. All of us are meat eater.

Back
Top Bottom