Veep-stakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who will be President Kerry's Veep?

• John Edwards

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Dick Gebhart

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Hillary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sherry Darling

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
So...LOL...the media has been drooling. Supposedly tomorrow is the day for Kerry's announcement. Who do you think it will be?

i keep hearing bob graham mentioned too. even though i'd like to see edwards (which would certainly influence my voting decision), my guess is gephardt.

Edwards was my "after Dean, before Kerry" pick for the Presidential nod. I'm happy he got "the call"--go Kerry/Edwards '04! ;)

I am so happy!!!!!!! Kerry made the absolute best choice possible. Edwards will be a fine VP.

I want to volunteer for this campaign...I signed up on Kerry's website last weekend, and I'll have to follow up on this.

It WILL be a great fall, with new U2 and hopefully...my typing fingers to God's eyes...a new president!!!

I do think that this was very smart of Kerry. Both regionally, politically, and in terms of rhetoric style, they compliment each other very well, with Edwards having what Kerry lacks and vice versa. I definitely think that Edwards is the best choice for VP, at this stage in America. It is all about timing, after all.

Melon

And now the Bush attack ads start:

Now they're saying that Kerry's first choice for VP was John McCain (Was that even conclusive, or was that just a media rumor? You definitely cannot expect the media to be truthful, sadly...), thus implying that anyone but the first choice is defective. Who's running the "negative campaign" now? It should be noted that John McCain wrote a very positive biographical note on the back of Edwards' book. Go look it up.

Be prepared: this is going to be the message that the Bush Administration drills for the next few days, and I think it to be a weak one. I'm disappointed that, in spite of McCain's self-styled "maverick" label that he's still stumping for a president who brought out his own highly negative campaign to defeat McCain in the primaries in 2000. The fact that McCain is still stumping for Bush merely reconfirms my saying: the only good Republican is a defeated one. I certainly didn't expect McCain to stump for Kerry or to say negative things about Bush. After all, he is a Republican; but for him to actively be working for Bush's reelection is nothing short of hypocrisy. I do think less of McCain for this, and he was one of the few Republicans I thought of relatively high.

Melon

There was never any truth to the Kerry-McCain ticket rumors. They were a fabrication. McCain is a Republican. Now he's campaigning for Bush. This is a disappointing development.

verte76 said:
There was never any truth to the Kerry-McCain ticket rumors. They were a fabrication. McCain is a Republican. Now he's campaigning for Bush. This is a disappointing development.

Really? Reports to the contrary seem to have been wide spread.

I found the reports of a Kerry-McCain tickets pretty strange and unlikely. They are from different parties, have different political philosophies, and in my view would have been the Political Odd Couple of the Year. Yes, it was discussed. But what does that mean? The New York Post has really flubbed it by claiming that Kerry picked Gephardt as his running mate. This is a screw-up for sure as his choice is Edwards, not Gephardt.

I have to wonder if the "rumors" about the Kerry/McCain ticket were a ruse to begin with, planted by the Bush Administration, merely so they could craft these negative attack ads assuming it to be true. As far as I've read, there were only rumors of Kerry wanting McCain, and I never read anything where Kerry acknowledged the rumors. The only things I read was McCain saying that he'd never run for VP, only in response to the rumors, not a Kerry request.

How "clever" of the Bush Administration, if that's true. But still...look who's running the "negative campaign" now? Or are Republicans only allowed to be negative? After all, Bush talked down the economy the minute he was elected, then reversed course after the damage had already been done.

Melon

No "Bounce"

Edwards Makes Little Difference in Polls

WASHINGTON (AP) - John Kerry's choice of John Edwards as his running mate was received favorably by the public, polls suggest, but it has made little difference so far in the race with President Bush.

Kerry strategists are trying to lower expectations for a "bounce" in the polls that presidential candidates sometimes get after choosing a running mate or attending a convention. Bush strategists were quick to raise expectations of a double-digit "bounce" for the Kerry-Edwards team by the end of the Democratic National Convention.

Back
Top Bottom