vatican issues guidance for politicians dealing with same sex marriage - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2003, 02:34 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Yes, but it is a retort against what foray said about same-sex love. And, as usual, it goes into a usual Christian condescending tone.

Maybe I misinterpreted it, and, if I did, I apologize, but I think this is more of a slam against same-sex love than any of the others listed above.

Melon

Old 08-02-2003, 04:05 PM   #47
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 AM
Please get this thread back on track. Melon and 80s, we've had this discussion ad nauseam before, and no one needs or wants to hear it again. If you two are taking this personally, discuss it via e-mail or PM.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:07 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

By the way, thanks Deep.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:26 PM   #49
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
Melon, sometimes your spitefulness and anger really tire me. This was NOT a slam against gay love. Someone said that people who understand gay love might just know more about love than others. I wanted people to know that the greatest love is Christs' love. Simple as that.
I know well enough to know that it isn't really as simple as that. But I also know that this is a fruitless argument.

Again, I apologize.

Melon
Old 08-03-2003, 02:03 AM   #50
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Things could be entirely a lot simpler if following God without the church was a reality.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:16 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:09 AM
The sad thing is
that if some one really wants to follow God they probably should get the hell out of church.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:03 AM   #52
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 09:09 AM
deep:
There are so many churches and noone of us knows them all, so this general statement seems to harsh to me.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:25 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

it sounded a bit harsh to me, too.

but most people I know who go to a church sooner or later get around to implying they are on the one true path,
and you and everybody else are either mislead or damned.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:54 AM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

You can understand gay love, straight love, family love, friend love, classic car love, football love, even U2 love, but if you don't know Christ love, you don't know the greatest love of all.
I feel so sad about those of you who are considering leaving the church over this. In NO WAY am I judging you for it, because I understand completely your anger and frustration.

My Pastor said something yesterday that truly inspired me. He was referring to the current scandal in the Catholic church. A set of twins was being baptized, and I wish I could remember his entire homily..but he praised those who say that "come Hell or high water" they will not give up hope that a new beginning can be forged for the church. I still hold out that hope, w/ guarded optimism.

I disagree completely w/ the Pope's attitude about this, but I believe it's only w/ the work of people like some of you here who can try to stay w/ the church and change its' ways and attitudes that things will change for the better. I guess I'm just an incredibly naive optimist.

And I want to follow God, and I have no intention of "getting the Hell out of church".Sorry, I don't mean to cause any problems here, but that offends me. And btw, I for one never go around w/ the attitude that I am on the one true path and everyone else is damned or whatever....that's not what my relationship w/ God has taught me.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:13 AM   #55
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Apologies if my statement somewhere above this one has contributed somehow to inflaming or offending with regard to attendance in church. I don't go to church so I am about as naive as you can get. My comments and views basically come from seeing people get caught up in hurt and anger by an ideal or belief set out by the church, an insititution, and it seemingly matter to one's own relationship with God. Put simply, if going through the church, any church, is going to cause such emotion and conflict, isn't it possible to find a new one, or simply avoid it altogether and enjoy an uninterrupted relationship with your God?
I understand how some would feel differently and to include the church itself is very important through fellowship etc, so my offhand solution to simply walk away from that is probably not plausible. I guess it comes down to whther you feel it worthy to stay and fight from the inside and face this insurmountable hurdle, or look at another way. Whatever that might be.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:30 PM   #56
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 09:09 AM
80sU2isBest:

As you know we didn't agree on too many points but i was allways happy to read your view, more than once i rethought my opinion because of your statements.

I hope you will still be at "The Goal Is Soul" - your posts there. I loved your comments there (also i didn't replay everytime with a ).

According FYM's "Old Testament Laws And Their Place In The Life Of The Christian", i didn't reply because i had not enough time to think about it, it would be verry nice if you could look at that thread in approx. 2 weeks

Klaus

p.s. i hope you read that thread one more time before you leave us.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:30 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I disagree completely w/ the Pope's attitude about this, but I believe it's only w/ the work of people like some of you here who can try to stay w/ the church and change its' ways and attitudes that things will change for the better. I guess I'm just an incredibly naive optimist.
I'm partially with you on this one. All revolutions and all change must come from within, and therefore it's more constructive to stay and try to make a difference than leave.

At the same time, I think this Pope has been out of touch for many years, I think he's got a particularly appalling view of women and women's issues, for many years there was a struggle as Mother Teresa actually became a better "liked" Catholic around the world than he was and so on. I think he did some good work in Eastern Europe but his time has come and passed years ago and until we get rid of these dinosaurs that sit on the golden throne in the Vatican, nothing will change.

My family - the Cornaros of Venice (centuries ago) commissioned a chapel in the Vatican and donated much of the priceless art. We have had a connection to the Vatican and Rome for hundreds of years but right now, I'd probably say that 99% of the spirituality I get in my life is outside of a Catholic Church (building).

I believe the Pope is sincerely and completely wrong on this issue. I will not budge from my views on the matter.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:20 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I'm partially with you on this one. All revolutions and all change must come from within, and therefore it's more constructive to stay and try to make a difference than leave.

At the same time, I think this Pope has been out of touch for many years, I think he's got a particularly appalling view of women and women's issues, for many years there was a struggle as Mother Teresa actually became a better "liked" Catholic around the world than he was and so on. I think he did some good work in Eastern Europe but his time has come and passed years ago and until we get rid of these dinosaurs that sit on the golden throne in the Vatican, nothing will change.

My family - the Cornaros of Venice (centuries ago) commissioned a chapel in the Vatican and donated much of the priceless art. We have had a connection to the Vatican and Rome for hundreds of years but right now, I'd probably say that 99% of the spirituality I get in my life is outside of a Catholic Church (building).

I believe the Pope is sincerely and completely wrong on this issue. I will not budge from my views on the matter.
I can relate to this, but I still plan to attend mass this afternoon. I guess my relationship with the Church could be called "schizoid". I'll complain about "dinosaurs" in the Vatican and then go take the Eucharist.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #59
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 AM
Uhhhhh...I think a couple of posts may have been lost...

Thread-splitting is hard. Apologies if posts vaporized.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:25 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Apologies if my statement somewhere above this one has contributed somehow to inflaming or offending with regard to attendance in church. I don't go to church so I am about as naive as you can get. My comments and views basically come from seeing people get caught up in hurt and anger by an ideal or belief set out by the church, an insititution, and it seemingly matter to one's own relationship with God. Put simply, if going through the church, any church, is going to cause such emotion and conflict, isn't it possible to find a new one, or simply avoid it altogether and enjoy an uninterrupted relationship with your God?
I understand how some would feel differently and to include the church itself is very important through fellowship etc, so my offhand solution to simply walk away from that is probably not plausible. I guess it comes down to whther you feel it worthy to stay and fight from the inside and face this insurmountable hurdle, or look at another way. Whatever that might be.
My thoughts are pretty close to yours.

I was raised in an "organized religion" and attended regular meetings.
If i had children I would probably attend a church for the fellowship and other activities.
The statement you made and I added to should not offend anyone who attends church. Unless there belief is not sound.
Then our remarks really are not the issue.