Vatican: condoms don't stop Aids - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2003, 12:42 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:16 AM
Vatican: condoms don't stop Aids

Quote:
Vatican: condoms don't stop Aids

Steve Bradshaw
Thursday October 9, 2003
The Guardian

The Catholic Church is telling people in countries stricken by Aids not to use condoms because they have tiny holes in them through which the HIV virus can pass - potentially exposing thousands of people to risk.

The church is making the claims across four continents despite a widespread scientific consensus that condoms are impermeable to the HIV virus.

A senior Vatican spokesman backs the claims about permeable condoms, despite assurances by the World Health Organisation that they are untrue.

The full article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/aids/story...059068,00.html
As if the rampant spread of AIDS weren't already bad enough in third world areas. Honestly it makes me wonder exactly what the Vatican hopes to acheive with these lies.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Do they honestly think that telling people this will stop them from having sex? I'd like to see their "scientific" evidence. I have many Catholic friends and I know there are many here, but sometimes I just don't get it. What is their goal?

Old 10-10-2003, 01:15 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:16 AM
It's a bunch of old men, lead by another old man so encased in his beliefs about sex that putting out nonsensical pronouncements such as this one seems okay to them.

Talk about being irresponsible, if not downright offensive.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:33 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:16 PM
This is irresponsible. I'm tired of the Vatican's campaign against birth control and safe sex. I'm a practicing Catholic but I'm not a rubber stamp.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:49 PM   #5
Acrobat

They're still stuck on the old view of conception. Up until somewhere in the late 19th century everyone in the world pretty much belived that the male contribution to the new life was 100%, with the female serving only as a vessel. Hence the whole seed term for sperm. THere fore any attempt to use say something like a condom or herbal birth control would be like an abortion killing the seed which was a whole life in that view. It's also why the emphasis on male homosexulaity in scripture (where female homosexuality doesn't even get mentioned until Paul) and why masurbation was seen as such a severe sin (with severe punnishments for a very long time) . Both were wasting seed, essentially killing life and preventing population increase.

Apparently the Pope hasn't heard of modern medicine.

If only the Vatican would drop this war on Condoms and stick to sexual education. Because the part of thier message about abstinance and monogamy being the only sure way to prevent AIDS is correct (well aside from AIDS gained from blod to blood contact). But throwing out the second most effective way to prevent AIDS is just criminal. Yeah I'll take the impression of giving promiscuity licence over piles of dead bodies anyday.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:55 PM   #6
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:16 AM

As a Catholic myself, I'd argue that using condoms in this case is NOT birth control. It's a lifesaving device that prevents the spread of a deadly disease. I wish they could see that.

sd
Old 10-10-2003, 02:32 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
As a Catholic myself, I'd argue that using condoms in this case is NOT birth control. It's a lifesaving device that prevents the spread of a deadly disease. I wish they could see that.

sd
I agree.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:54 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

I am Catholic and I agree with what everyone has said.

I don't want a bunch of crusty, old CELIBATE men telling me about sex.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:34 PM   #9
Acrobat

So what percentage of Catholics would you guess support the Papacy or at least it's actions? Most young Catholics I've come across don't have a lot of time for the Vatican. I'm Presbyterian by denomination (though I consider myself just Christian with a moderately Presbyterian flavour) so I have theological issues with the the whole Papal concept, though I think a central authority can be a good thing.... John XXIII did some bllody good reforms. Which is why I figure Catholics got stuck with captain reactionary, John Paul II.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:49 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Many U.S. Catholics take issue with the Vatican's position on birth control in particular, also gay issues and other hot-button issues. I don't know about outside the U.S. however. U.S. Catholics are notoriously independent. The Vatican doesn't like us. Hell will freeze over before an American is elected pope, if you'll pardon a bad pun.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Then why let them speak for you? That's what I don't get.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:27 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Just because I go to mass and prayer meetings at church doesn't mean I let them "speak for me". It's a little like being an American, committed to the Constitution, but not necessarily the current Administration or any past Administration(s).
Old 10-10-2003, 05:30 PM   #13
Acrobat

Well the Catholic Church needs to change or it's going to shivel up and die. In South America, once a Catholic stronghold, belivers are turning to other forms of Christianity in droves. Priests are jumping ship like never before to the Anglicans and Episcopalians. Africa is the only place where the Catholic Church is growing and the Pope only named one token Cardinal from there. I predict another John Paul unless God decides to work some miracle like he did with John XXIII. Otherwise I predict another decade of decline and the Vatican slipping into further irrelevancy.
Old 10-10-2003, 05:55 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I don't get it either, and I finally put my foot down over the past couple years.

Religion is the greatest obstacle to God.

Melon
Old 10-10-2003, 06:05 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Just because I go to mass and prayer meetings at church doesn't mean I let them "speak for me". It's a little like being an American, committed to the Constitution, but not necessarily the current Administration or any past Administration(s).
But you don't have a choice with the administration except to speak your mind and vote every 4 years. But there's many different denominations to choose from, or speak out from within. It's just that I've never really heard of any strong movement from within the Catholic Church. I'm just curious, I'm not knocking anyone's beliefs. Personally I have some very strong feelings about the Catholic Church, and I know every church has their own problems, but it just seems politics are ruining the Catholic Church.