Va State Legislator-Black People Should "Get Over" Slavery - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #46
She's the One

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Justin, why are you arguing this so much? You really miss people's points most of the time.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
But don't all races discriminate against each other? I was watching the news and this whole Hispanic population explosion. Some hispanic autobody owners refuse to serve black people because they think there criminals, is that not racism or discrimination. An Arab Janitor who worked in the building I used to work in hates black people and wants them dead and wished hitler killed them like he did the jews?
But if other minorities are joining in on the bigotry, isn't that an even greater argument for how deep-rooted prejudice is against black people?

Old 01-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #48
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:

1. I did not say anything awful. I said people in general would read about it and forget it the next minute. It's human nature.
No, it's not.

Quote:

2. What if Bill Cosby said that? So him saying that automatically makes him a bad person?
Read the article again. You honestly think Bill Cosby would say those things?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I did answer your question to the most part. Of course there is a difference between the past and present. Should we focus on the past, or should we focus on the present and fix it?
No you didn't. Can you fix the present by ignoring the past?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #50
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But don't all races discriminate against each other?

No. Some people of all races discriminate against each other.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:33 PM   #51
Jesus Online

Local Time: 11:56 AM
Old 01-17-2007, 10:38 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
This has become my reaction as well.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #53
Jesus Online

Not sure if it's for the same reason? lol. I agree with everyone in here regarding the original post. It's a disgusting thing to say, for all the reasons already listed.
There's truths in Justin's posts, as irelevent or relevent as they might be. I thought he was just looking further afield and broadening the issue of racism, not actually saying anywhere he endorsed it. Yet, as is so frequent lately, he was jumped on. And by folk who are very eloquent and very intelligent at all other times. People I have utmost respect for, to be honest, not that that is relevent. I know I am the worst to preach this, but you dont have to crush your opponent in an argument to beat them. You can think they are stupid, their views are stupid, they dont get the point, whatever. It remains, though, that if you proceed at them like a bull in a china shop, you are going to look precisely like a bull in a china shop.

So we aren't all paragons of liberal righteousness. Big fucking whoop! So not everyone speaks well, and sometimes their views go from making us raise an eyebrow to outright cringing in horror. Again, big fucking whoop. When someone patents Absolute Truth, then they are more than welcome to climb up on their soapbox and horsewhip everyone who disagrees.

And yes, I know I am overreacting, most likely, and far from suitable to make such calls, but sheesh. A lot stinks in this thread, and it isn't just the racist old fart from Va.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:57 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:56 PM
Angela, Angela, Angels, we don't all listen to NPR and drive Subarus. Only about half of the people who post in this forum do so.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:06 PM   #55
Jesus Online

And some dont even know what the crap NPR is

Old 01-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
And some dont even know what the crap NPR is

National Public Radio.

by far the best source of news in the States, the only thing comparable to the BBC.

and great post earlier. a lesson for everyone in FYM.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:09 AM   #57
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It remains, though, that if you proceed at them like a bull in a china shop, you are going to look precisely like a bull in a china shop.

And I'm guessing I may have come off as the bull in a china shop, and for that I apologize. But this is something I've had discussions about with Justin, in the past and about this thread in PMs. When having a discussion about subject A, why are you bringing up generalizations about B and C, discussing the history of C and D(especially when they aren't entirely correct), attacking posters, and avoiding questions in the process. It just doesn't make any sense. We'll be talking about the death penalty of homosexuals by page 7, if we continue these irrelevant topics.

So I was just trying to keep things in perspective and in line.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:47 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Yeah Virginia sure has it's problems, but I love living here. Maybe I can bring some more dignity to the political scene around here
you're a lot more courageous than i. i'm personally tired of all the crap. i've lived in this state for most of my life. i grew up in the northern part and spent college and now grad school in the armpit. here in the southwest, i've seen a very disturbing ugly side to the state. i've had quiet enough of the direct racism that has happened to me in my time here. i just can't take it anymore.

i do have hope for the future, but i've experienced too much pain here.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:49 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

National Public Radio.

by far the best source of news in the States, the only thing comparable to the BBC.

and great post earlier. a lesson for everyone in FYM.
that and Pacifica Radio are the best radio stations evar!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Um, I don't think Justin is stupid and I don't think I attacked him at all, or like a bull in a china shop. I am merely trying to reason with him (trust me, I have no desire at all to "crush" him, and I don't think anything I said makes me "unintelligent" either), and sometimes it is just frustrating. If my frustration comes across in that way, well sorry-it is merely frustration, nothing more. And honestly Justin can come across in a certain way sometimes (as we ALL can), but I don't think we have to make it about that.

Trust me, I have no thought that I have any patents on absolute truth- to make a comment like that based upon me trying to reason with him and getting frustrated isn't really fair either