Va. Bill Sets Fine for Low-Riding Pants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
[q]Va. Bill Sets Fine for Low-Riding Pants

RICHMOND, Va. - Virginians who wear their pants so low their underwear shows may want to think about investing in a stronger belt. Lawmakers passed a bill Tuesday authorizing a $50 fine for anyone who displays his or her underpants in a "lewd or indecent manner."

Del. Lionell Spruill Sr., a Democrat who opposed the bill, had pleaded with his colleagues to remember their own youthful fashion follies.

During an extended monologue Monday, he talked about how they dressed or wore their hair in their teens. On Tuesday, he said the measure was an unconstitutional attack on young blacks that would force parents to take off work to accompany their children to court just for making a fashion statement.

"This is a foolish bill, Mr. Speaker, because it will hurt so many," Spruill said before the measure was approved 60-34. It now goes to the state Senate.

The bill's sponsor, Del. Algie T. Howell, ha [/q]

not to get off topic, but can someone explain how people keep really low pants up? I'm always tempted to just walk up behind someone and pull them down. I figure it would be pretty easy.

seriously, don't the politicians have better things to do than obsess over teenage girls' bodies?

will this be applied equally to old men who have unsightly things hanging out because they have to wear their pants below their beer guts?

:yikes:

Virginia is led by a bunch of crackpots. Remind me to never visit that dump.

Melon

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

First of all this is a ridiculous law. Similar laws for mini skirts and bell bottoms have tried to get passed.

The second problem is it will not be enforced indiscriminately. Are they going to fine old men with plumbers crack, women who have bras showing, etc.? What's going to stop them from wearing there pants low without underwear? I mean their "underpants won't be displayed lewd or indecently."

Ridiculous...

This is the same state that just came out with the "traditional marriage" :rolleyes: license plates right? :slant:

This sounds like one of those weird old laws that are still on the books but not enforced, that people laugh at. :|

Remember gang,

These are the same Thought Conditioners who are:

-banning smoking in pubs

-banning cell phones use in cars

-banning free speech on radio (Canada for example)

-banning drinking under 21 (some in the U.S. want to raise the age)

-banning thongs on beaches

-banning Nativity displays

-Banning the cross on City logos

-banning (you can fill in)

melon said:

Melon

Our governer is a very liberal democrat :huh:

It's odd this law would pass at this time now that (THANK GOODNESS!)(at least in VA!) after about 10 years the hideous trend of low riding pants that purposely show the boxer shorts ( :barf: ) is finally going out! :up: Hardly anyone wears them anymore, I see the teenagers are going back to regular jeans and even better TIGHT jeans :drool: So this is pointless. :eyebrow:

BTW, the schools have had rules against the pants for ages.

melon said:

Melon

We're not all bad! As U2kitten said our governor is a democrat and so is our lt. governor who's running for governor.

But it's when you get into the legislature that it gets crazy. :coocoo:

I have to confess that when I was digging a hole I have let my pants slip a little ~ like a true tradesman.

dandy said:
seriously, don't the politicians have better things to do than obsess over teenage girls' bodies?

Although this law would be applied to those instances, it's not really after them. It's actually aimed at "gangsta style" pants. The ones that are worn so low that the boxer shorts beneath them are almost completely visable.

:lol:

alrighty i'll go lobby pro-low riding pants.

though with my weakness for politicians i don't think going to the capitol with low riding pants would be a very good idea if you know what i mean..........:shifty:

U2democrat said:
Oh yeah it's a nice state too. Pretty mountains, the beach, Chesapeake bay, lots of revolutionary and civil war stuff, etc. I love VA :up:

:up:

Can't judge the whole state as a dump because you don't like some, there are lots of good things and good folks here!

Last edited:
I like my belt, decked out black jeans, t-shirt and leather overcoat with a belt the size of a toaster.

LOl - Melon don't dish on my home state - sortof.

I wish I could find the cartoon I saw the other day about 1st day bak to school wear. CRAP.

It was the typical plumber from behind picture bent over under the sink with descriptions.

That said VA still has sodomy laws on the books. Won't let a Gov serve more than 1 term - I like that it goes back to the Rev War. But they get paid way too much for their short time in Richmond.

My home state making me proud again. :slant:

Just makes me wanna bust out singin'

Carry me back to old Virginny,
There's where the cotton and the corn and tatoes grow

:dance:

there are times when i wonder why i'm registered to vote and have a VA driver's license (cause i reside in DC). and then i see these things, and when combined with the state of VA's all-out assault on gay people, and i realize that my vote is needed more than ever.

the iron horse said:
Remember gang,

These are the same Thought Conditioners who are:

-banning smoking in pubs

-banning cell phones use in cars

I see nothing wrong with these two. I'd like to be able to go out and grab a drink without coming back with itchy eyes and reeking of smoke, not to mention the health implications. And I can't tell you the number of times I've been cut off or nearly rear-ended/clipped/broadsided by someone who was on their cell phone and oblivious to their surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom