Utah: Back to back firing squad executions - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2003, 11:17 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

As for other states still having the death penalty, including my own, don't even get me started. And for the record, I say more offensive things about Texans.
One in particular?

Old 05-26-2003, 11:30 AM   #17
Creator of the Blue Crack

Local Time: 06:23 AM
To be honest, I've never had a great fondness for most Texans either --- but I do have my favorites. (since we're picking,... errr.. talking... about Texans)

FB me. IG me. Tweet me.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:08 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

a quick note here,

i do not want my previous post to be construed as Texas bashing.

i was only referring to some of the laws that are on the books there
and that many politicians there support.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:39 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
So "retro" as you call it is somehow bad? I probably didnt understand what you were saying, but I thought you were making it sound like Utah is bad because being "retro" as you say, is bad.

I looked up the definition before I responded.

Quote:
Regardless, Utah does have a conservative populace. Is there something inherently wrong with that? No, it's the populace's constitutional right. Is there something wrong with a populace using their own religious beliefs to make political decisions when voting? No, this also is the constitutional right of every citizen of the United States. Go U.S.A.

I hear this a lot when I visit my family members in Utah.
They are happy with “The Church” having so much influence in State Government.

There is much criticism of Muslims wanting their faith to influence and control government.

I ask them how they would feel if they lived in state where the Catholic Church influenced and had control in the government? They do not answer.

Are your beliefs based on the fact that you are conformable with the religion that is ‘now’ dominate?

It is interesting to me that it was Mormons and Catholics that brought the suit to have prayer at Texas public school events prohibited. Why? The dominant Christian Fundamentalists in Texas labeled the Mormons and Catholics as non-Christian cults.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:13 PM   #20
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

One in particular?
Nope. I'm bugged by many.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:19 PM   #21
She's the One

Quote:
Is there something wrong with a populace using their own religious beliefs to make political decisions when voting? No, this also is the constitutional right of every citizen of the United States.

I use my own religious beliefs to help me make decisions when voting, but I would never be so bold as to assume that what I believe should be applied to everyone who doesn't believe as I do. This is what I see happening in both Utah and Texas. This is why I'm wary of the governments in both states.

And yes, I meant retro in a bad way. Looking back to the last century or two to inform your laws, without asking why, can be a very bad thing.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:41 AM   #22
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 08:23 AM
I think everyone has made great points, and I understand where you're all coming from. Honestly, I agree with most all of you. I too think it's very bizarre and odd that anyone would be given the decision of how to choose to be killed.

I just wanted to stand up for my own personal religion and beliefs, that was all. In following with that I wanted to write that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints DOES NOT tell their followers how to vote, or how they should base their political opinions. The church has gone out of their way to steer clear of doing that. Members vote based on their own beliefs, not because some organization is telling them what to do. That just doesnt happen.

On a completely different note: in someways, it's good when odd things like this get brought out in the news. Hopefully things in the news, like this, bring more public attention for the issues, and people can try to change how the laws are written and set up.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:27 PM   #23
She's the One

Quote:

I just wanted to stand up for my own personal religion and beliefs, that was all.
I'm right behind you.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:42 AM   #24
War Child

i don't know, i would probably rather die by a gunshot than say hanging. i am sure they aim for the head and chest first.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:49 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

yeah, back to the subject at hand - wouldn't want this thread to get *CLOSED* like some others...

the problem I have with the firing squad is that you have humans pointing guns at humans and firing. I am absolutely for the death penalty, and if the firing squad is the only choice, than so be it, but if there are other options, I believe they should be used first.

even thought the gunmen (state-hired) do not know who is actually firing the fatal shot(s), I think it is wrong to even have them fire upon another human, that is simply too personal.

I do understand that somone always throws the switch ont eh chair, or presses the button on the chemical injection, but it just seems more humane than aiming a gun at someone's head or chest, and firing.

even if the prisoner chooses this, I do not think a death-row inmate should be able to choose to have another human shoot him - that is way too personal.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:43 PM   #26
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy

even thought the gunmen (state-hired) do not know who is actually firing the fatal shot(s), I think it is wrong to even have them fire upon another human, that is simply too personal.

I don't think you can have it both ways, dear. Killing is killing is killing.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:47 AM   #27
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:23 AM
I dunno Martha, I agree with Ouizy. Yes you are right that killing is killing is killing. I'm all for spades being called spades etc. Yet there is a distinct difference between these methods in how they are viewed, the associations we make with them and actual method. Method being beyond the actual practice and more like how Ouizy pointed out that someone has a gun trained at you to aim for the chest and it becomes more personal.
Its a fine line, but its definately there I think.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:50 AM   #28
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:23 AM
Oh and another thing which I have read but cannot prove its truth is that a trained or experienced marksman will actually know the difference between shooting a bullet and a blank. So the whole aspect of the squad not knowing may be invalid.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:22 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I thought of that as well.

If you are an expert marksman and you fired the shot, I think you would have some idea of where your shot would have hit. If, for example you were aiming at the left ventricle and that is where the body gets hit - you were the killer.

That cannot be put on someone's head.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:38 PM   #30
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy

That cannot be put on someone's head.
Then what about the person that injects the poison?