USS George H.W. Bush

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Is being built at the shipyard downtown here. Tell me...is he fit to have an aircraft carrier named after him? Though I must say it is pretty cool to watch the construction. I'll go down there tomorrow and take photos.

U2democrat said:
Is being built at the shipyard downtown here. Tell me...is he fit to have an aircraft carrier named after him? Though I must say it is pretty cool to watch the construction. I'll go down there tomorrow and take photos.

Why isn't he fit for one in general?

Before sending out any missiles, the USS George H.W. Bush proclaims over the PA system.

WE. WILL.
WE. WILL. ROCK YOU.

A_Wanderer said:
Considering that he is a decorated naval aviator I think it makes a lot of sense.

I think he did his service...

bush-rescue.nara.jpg

Other than being one of Lee Harvey Oswald's handlers....he deserves it.

I'm not sure if Bush The First's Naval service was much of a factor in this decision. It has become a recent tradition to name new carriers after a former president. Lincoln, Truman, and Reagan were never in the Navy, but have carriers named for them. Jimmy Carter had a submarine named for him specifically because he was a sub officer, but I think Bush would have had a carrier named after him even if he hadn't been in the Navy. It's just a bonus that he was.

One thing I wonder about, though. It is tradition for US Navy ships to have a motto that is related to the ship's namesake. It's also something that should have relevance for the crew of the ship. Some presidential carrier examples:

USS Abraham Lincoln - 'Shall Not Perish'

USS George Washington - 'Spirit of Freedom'

USS Harry S Truman - 'The Buck Stops Here'

USS Ronald Reagan - 'Peace Through Strength'

I started wondering what inspirational motto could possibly be associated with Bush. I did a Google search and came up with this site (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/navy/batgru-77.htm) showing a CVN-77 patch with the saying 'Transition to the Future; Modernize the Past' on it, but I don't think it's the real patch for the ship since they are usually much more detailed than just the ship's number over a map of the world. So, since this is probably not the real patch, it may also not be the real motto. I certainly hope it isn't, since that mouthful will hardly create pride and inspiration in a crew.

Really, what could it be? What should it be? 'Read My Lips'? 'A Thousand Points of Light'? 'VooDoo Economics?

they are still building aircraft carriers ? good news for the modern chineese missles :up:

menelaos said:
They name it after his name because he has given them all these loads of money...
It's obvious...If someone had purchased me a house I would give it his name...

That works for universities and charitable organizations. I doubt GHWB sent a check in to help underwrite the cost of the carrier.

I never think it's a good idea to name stuff after people who are still alive. Apart from that, I really couldn't care less.

Back
Top Bottom