USA urges Russia to respect territorial integrity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Popmartijn

Blue Crack Supplier
Hello,

Talk about being hypocritical. The USA has asked Russia not to take any military actions in the Georgian republic. Here is a link to a BBC news story (I couldn't find any reference to it on the 2 US news sites I regularly check, the Boston Globe and CNN): http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2254959.stm Russia alleges that rebels (terrorists) from Chechnya use some valleys in the republic to attack Russia and that the Georgia does not act enough against those rebels.
Georgia has already said that any actions by Russia against the valley are going to be considered a decleration of war. Now, the USA urges Russia not to invade and attack the valley, because of the territorial sovereignity of the republic.

From the article:
But State Department spokesman Philip Reeker said the US took "strong exception to statements by President Putin threatening action against Chechen targets on Georgian territory".

"We strongly support Georgia's territorial integrity and oppose any unilateral military action in Georgia," Mr Reeker said.

Sorry?!?

The USA is asking another country to respect territorial sovereignity? The same country who wants to invade Iraq, if necessary on its own, because it doesn't like the ruler of that country (and alleges it poses a big threat to the USA)? The same country who does not want to respect territiorial sovereignity for its own actions wants other countries to adhere to the principles it does not want to adhere to itself? Gimme a break!

To clarify my own situation, I agree with the request the USA made to Russia. I agree to the principle of territorial sovereignity. And that's also one of the reasons I'm against this whole 'war against Iraq' thing, as USA's unilateral actions violate this principle. So in a way I don't understand why the USA is protesting against Russia; they want to violate this principle, why may others not violate it?

Marty

if you cannot see the difference here, I cannot help you

oh, but for the record, the USA hasn't invaded Iraq, we've been too busy trying to get support for actions against Hussein, who, I'm sure is a strong believer in territorial sovereignty much like yourself, I mean, he's a pretty reasonable guy, right? he's just "misunderstood" is all

The Wanderer said:
if you cannot see the difference here, I cannot help you

Please, enlighten me. As I really don't see the difference here. But I'm willing to listen when you explain it to me

oh, but for the record, the USA hasn't invaded Iraq, we've been too busy trying to get support for actions against Hussein, who, I'm sure is a strong believer in territorial sovereignty much like yourself, I mean, he's a pretty reasonable guy, right? he's just "misunderstood" is all

Personally, I will not shed a tear when he leaves the arena (be it a natural death, a domestic revolution or whatever). But this still doesn't mean that everyone should just invade Iraq and interfere with the territorial sovereignity (or any other country they don't like). I mean, the USA has weapons of mass destruction and I think that Iraq considers Bush evil (at the very least), but that does not mean I agree with them (or anyone) attacking the USA just because they don't agree with the regime over there.

Marty

Popmartian,

I'll explain it for you. Unlike the USA in regards to Iraq, the Russians have no approval for an invasion of parts of Georgia although, I think they should be allowed to given the circumstances. The USA not only has approval to invade Iraq, but in fact is required to because of Iraq's violation of the Gulf War Ceacefire terms that stopped US offensive operations in the Gulf War. Breaking the ceacefire agreement obligates the US and other UN members to force Iraq's compliance with that agreement through the resumption of offensive military actions that were put on hold in 1991 because Saddam agreed and signed the ceacefire agreement. Any violation of the agreement requires that UN members, chiefly the USA to bring Saddam into compliance!

here are a few questions. why is saddam and his regime still alive? i mean it's been like what? 12 years since the gulf war? why wasn't he destroyed completely during the gulf war? etc. i want to know why giving him 12 years under sanctions, while he recoperates militarily and sucks even more life from his people, was such a great idea.

why didn't the US "fight for what's right" and ignore the UN 12 years ago like they are doing now? i find it hard to believe that saddam hussain is more powerful now than he used to be, and IF he is, then they only have themselves to blame by LETTING him get so powerful when they didn't destroy him back in 1990. either way you look at it, the attack on iraq right now is either a sloppy patch up job or a opportunistic move by bush.

The Wanderer said:
maybe because the UN didnt think it was a good idea to oust him during the "Liberation of Kuwait"

And ofcourse i tried to find some info about American invasions and i found Panama ( 1989 ) and Haiti ( 1994 ). Haiti had a UN aproval but what about Panama ?

...and that bill that aproves to attack the Netherlands when there is a American prisoner of war bothers me too.

CannibalisticArtist said:
here are a few questions. why is saddam and his regime still alive? i mean it's been like what? 12 years since the gulf war? why wasn't he destroyed completely during the gulf war? etc. i want to know why giving him 12 years under sanctions, while he recoperates militarily and sucks even more life from his people, was such a great idea.

The only logical answer to this question is.....???

Take into account that - apart from not being the best on the worldwide scene of agencies - the agency was able to kill just about everyone they wanted to see removed.

Maybe it?s just a game, who knows?

Popmartijn said:
Hello,

Sorry?!?

The USA is asking another country to respect territorial sovereignity? The same country who wants to invade Iraq, if necessary on its own, because it doesn't like the ruler of that country (and alleges it poses a big threat to the USA)? The same country who does not want to respect territiorial sovereignity for its own actions wants other countries to adhere to the principles it does not want to adhere to itself? Gimme a break!

are there any UN resolutions relating to the situation in georgia???

I don't believe so, Arun.

But I do think there are a few relating to Israel and the West Bank....

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

i believe my theory makes the most sense. there is really no justification short of iraq actually attacking the US right now.
iraq has been violating UN laws, but so are a number of countries, including israel. israel is infinitely more powerful than iraq and both have been commiting severe violations, why isn't the US doing anything about it if they are STRICTLY attacking countries based on UN violations and NOTHING else? Bull. Fucking. Shit.

CannibalisticArtist said:
IF he is, then they only have themselves to blame by LETTING him get so powerful when they didn't destroy him back in 1990.

If he is they only have themselves to congratulate by...

STING2 said:
Popmartian,

I'll explain it for you. Unlike the USA in regards to Iraq, the Russians have no approval for an invasion of parts of Georgia although, I think they should be allowed to given the circumstances. The USA not only has approval to invade Iraq, but in fact is required to because of Iraq's violation of the Gulf War Ceacefire terms that stopped US offensive operations in the Gulf War. Breaking the ceacefire agreement obligates the US and other UN members to force Iraq's compliance with that agreement through the resumption of offensive military actions that were put on hold in 1991 because Saddam agreed and signed the ceacefire agreement. Any violation of the agreement requires that UN members, chiefly the USA to bring Saddam into compliance!

What approval has the US been given to attack Iraq? Approval from who? And if violation of a UN resolution means UN members are forced to take military action then when do we start bombing Israel?

Sorry, I clicked post before I was done writing. I wanted to point out that far from having approval to bomb Iraq, the US has met strong and widespread opposition to such an attack. The majority of European countries oppose it, and in fact Gerhard Schroeder of Germany has based his re-election campaign on an anti-war platform. There is mass opposition from both the people and governments of other countries in the Middle East, many of the rulers of these countries fear they will be unable to control the response of their people if the United States does attack Iraq. China and Russia, both members of the UN security council stand in opposition to an attack. And I haven't even mentioned the opposition within the US itself, even some of the most hawkish US politicians are opposed to a military attack on Iraq and polls consistently show there is not substantial support for a unilateralist US offensive.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Take into account that - apart from not being the best on the worldwide scene of agencies - the agency was able to kill just about everyone they wanted to see removed.

Maybe it?s just a game, who knows?

I am not one for conspiracy theories, but for years when it comes to American foriegn policy I have asked myself this same question- how can the world's greatest military machine not be able to get rid of one man, with all of their intelligence powers- it just does not make sense- thats cause they dont want him dead cause any war is a good war for the yanks- war is good for the economy:mac:

OzAurora said:

I am not one for conspiracy theories, but for years when it comes to American foriegn policy I have asked myself this same question- how can the world's greatest military machine not be able to get rid of one man, with all of their intelligence powers- it just does not make sense- thats cause they dont want him dead cause any war is a good war for the yanks- war is good for the economy:mac:

Yeah, absolutely. Glad someone is able to follow my vague expressions. I am not an conspiracist either. But it?s not a big secret wars are great for economy.

Back
Top Bottom