USA people please help..... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2004, 09:57 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 03:14 PM
USA people please help.....

For all the USA people.....what is the reason Bush is getting more and more popular and Kerry is losing in the polls? I really think I am missing some great things he is doing or has done for USA.

Love from Holland
Dutchfan

Old 09-28-2004, 10:02 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Because Bush has made his positions abundantly clear and has managed to appeal to his conservative base. Combine this with an very savy advertising campaign that has been able to smear his opponents Vietnam service and paint him as an indecisive flip-flopper.

Kerry himself has not really helped himself by only taking a stand on Iraq late in the campaign. Having a vague plan of dealing with the situation by attracting allies - all the while denigrating strong US allies like Australia. Numerous statements that attempt to fill every position and statements about fighting a more sensitive war on terror just do not appeal to the majority of voters.

The RaTHer memo debacle has no doubt hurt the Democrats campaign, they promised to play dirty in the final stretch but someone wound up using totally fabricated memo's.

Old 09-29-2004, 07:04 AM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:14 AM
why is kerry losing? because we're just over a month from the election and no one can tell me what john kerry stands for. is he for the war or is he against the war? no one knows, because he changes his opinion every other week. while many americans in the middle may not agree with everything bush has done while in office, at least they know where he stands. the evil you know vs. the evil you don't know, so to speak.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:51 AM   #4
New Yorker

It doesn't matter if he's for or against the war -- when he becomes president, he will have to deal with it no matter what. At least he has a strategy to get us out. Bush doesn't have that.

As for why he's popular -- Americans can be easily persuaded. most don't seem to be voting on the issues but rather "we're at war, vote for Bush." Kerry hasn't helped with his long-winded explanations about his Iraq vote. he also should have attacked the Swift Boat ads much sooner. I think this debate is going to change things.

while you're hear Dutch, how to outsiders view this election? I was told a story in a German newspaper said if Bush wins, many people will become anti-American because they don't understand why we could be so stupid to have this guy running our country and making international decisions that affect other countries.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:56 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:14 AM
Representation without taxation, the average worldview of the anti-American.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:14 AM   #6
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
I'm affraid Americans do not only live by fear but they are also voting by fear
Old 09-29-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:23 AM   #8
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:14 AM
I feel Bush is too "agressive" and Kerry is nowhere near enough "aggressive". I was for Bush until recently - until it dawned on me that he has his own agenda and can justify it more easily than my 10 year old can justify a new game boy! I am scared though. I wish there was another choice.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:35 AM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
At least he has a strategy to get us out.
Really? Care to share?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:38 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

Really? Care to share?
And then send it to Kerry
Old 09-29-2004, 08:59 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Kerry is running too much like a product. We're voting for a president, not next year's product from GM. We want a platform, not some sort of fancy package. His message is too muddled and imprecise and basically very confusing, not the way to get votes. Maybe he'll come clean in the debates and give more of a composite image of himself to the voters, but it's definitely not clear if he will do this. I just read where there are more new voters this year than there have been in the last twenty or so years. These voters are probably not getting polled as "likely voters". There is controversy over the various criteria for "likely voters", and that's who the pollsters poll.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:08 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Is "Bush getting more and more popular and Kerry is losing in the polls?" Last time I checked it was a pretty close race.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:14 AM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

Really? Care to share?
No problem. Read Kerry's speech.

First, the President has to get the promised international support so our men and women in uniform don’t have to go it alone. It is late; the President must respond by moving this week to gain and regain international support.

Second, the President must get serious about training Iraqi security forces.

Third, the President must carry out a reconstruction plan that finally brings tangible benefits to the Iraqi people.

Fourth, the President must take immediate, urgent, essential steps to guarantee the promised elections can be held next year.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:19 AM   #14
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
I was watching this Ann Coulter crazy lady on Fox last night. Someone asked her "Cheney said a vote for Kerry is a vote for terrorists. Isn't that irresponsible to say?" She said "No, it's true." Really? You know how the terrorists want us to vote? If you're in such good contact with them, why don't you ask them where bin Laden is?

Fact remains, the Homeland Security Dept. continues to put out these crazy alerts that we could be attacked before the election. In fact, the first major alerts of this nature came out two days after Edwards was announced as Kerry's running mate in June. Madrid is bombed two days before an election and it takes our government THREE MONTHS to realize it could happen to us? Either they're dumb or cunning. I choose the latter.

The New York Stock Exchange has been a target since Sept. 11, NYC has been at an Orange Alert level since they started that stupid system. Nothing is new here, Bush just wants us to think things are getting worse and scare us into voting for him.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:19 AM   #15
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

?
While there didn't change much in the last years people in the US fear a lot, they are afraid of terror attacks (but not affraid of car accidents?) etc.

There was a nice Memo of a "Die Zeit" reporter last year which could be described as "The fear of a smoker of a Rattle-Snake bite".
And i guess that's somewhat true for us europeans but much more true for the US.
I also think that todays election campaigns try to get the average american citizen by his personal fear.