Us vs Everything Else

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xtal

War Child
I believe in Aliens. It is scientifically proven that there is a world outside of our world. A universe outside of our universe.

In a sense, we are just a grain of sand in the whole wide universe. Earth is a grain of sand, like a grain of sand on a beach, in a universe.

I was just told this by an astronomy tech. Someone who studied all astronomy.

Others thoughts?

A universe outside of our universe?

I am not so sure about that one, that one is a risky bit because it could infer an absolute reference point, and relativity does not like that. On the plus side I guess that superluminal travel would be valid in such a system.

But as far as extrasolar planets, we have observed them and in the future our ability to detect them will grow.

I think that in all the vastness of space and with all the permutations of planets and variables it is most possible that life has started elsewhere and that it is somewhat possible that sentient life forms have evolved (remember however that in the history of life on earth it has taken billions of years of false starts, mass extinctions and change for mankind to come into being. There is no reason to assume that sentient life is a cosmic inevitability.

xtal said:
I believe in Aliens. It is scientifically proven that there is a world outside of our world. A universe outside of our universe.

In all honestly, what I know about physics would fit on the back of a postage stamp, but....what scientific proof are you referring to?

I don't think it matters to the aliens whether we 'believe' in them or not. As a-wanderer said, the sheer number of solar systems orbiting other stars would make it somewhat likely, but there are millions of galaxies out there, so 'contact' is on the other hand, far from inevitable (in my opinion).

FUCK! I DON'T KNOW!

I don't give a shit whether or not the aliens think we believe in them or not.

They do exist.

That's all I know. And truthfully, I've seen more proof of them more than ghosts.

xtal said:
It is scientifically proven that there is a world outside of our world.

Well if you're talking about other planets, then you're obviously right. If you're talking about sentient life on other planets, then you don't know what you're talking about. There is no scientific proof of anything one way or another.

A universe outside of our universe.

To say there's scientific proof of this (either pro or con) shows ignorance of science.

In a sense, we are just a grain of sand in the whole wide universe. Earth is a grain of sand, like a grain of sand on a beach, in a universe.

Hell, if you want to scale it and say the universe is the size of your average beach, we're technically smaller than a quark (which are the particles that make up protons, neutrons, and electrons, which in turn make up the atoms).

Others thoughts? [/B]

Well then you'd better tell your friend to go ask for the money back on his degree if he's telling you there's scientific proof of sentient life on other planets and that science has proven the existence of alternate universes.

xtal said:
FUCK! I DON'T KNOW!

I don't give a shit whether or not the aliens think we believe in them or not.

They do exist.

That's all I know. And truthfully, I've seen more proof of them more than ghosts.

So you're basing your conviction that aliens exist on some anecdotal "proof"? That's quite a step down from the "scientific proof" you were touting earlier.

I think it's quite possible there's other life forms out there somewhere. With the galaxy being as vast as it is, to assume we're the only living things out there would be pretty silly, I'd think.

That said, however, I've not really seen much hardcore evidence for proof of their existence. I just personally think it's highly plausible, is all.

Angela

I meant Area 51, but said Studio 54...because I have no clue regarding aliens.

I didn't say there was scientific proof that there are Aliens. I meant scientific proof that there are more planets out there beyond Pluto.

You're right, I am ignorant of science and astrology- I never said I knew anything in the first place. You're taking someone who said Studio 54 is where the aliens were seriously. Hahaha.

So what I was asking if, by chance, there was a student out there who is studying science or astrology to answer my question. Or argue that we are the only living planet in this world. That's all.

I enjoyed the Studio 54 reference. I was imagining an alien party there.

I was imagining large hairdos and lots of drugs. Perhaps a requirement for meeting alien forms.

If you ever visit Australia, xtal, you might consider Woomera in South Australia. Has more sightings than any other location on earth, apparently. But the soil is contaminated and our government has done shifty and altogether fucked up things there. So it's probably best you dont, on second thought.

Actually, on 3rd thought, it wasn't even our government.
:hmm:

xtal said:

Others thoughts?

Quantum theory posits that we are likely one of an infinite number of universes within a larger "multiverse" superstructure. Of course, it's unlikely that we'll ever be able to prove that beyond quantum theory.

"Aliens" may very well exist, and the sheer size of the universe makes it very hard to dismiss the idea that they "might" exist. However, to presume that the life is intelligent is another story. Human beings have only existed for about 100,000 years or so, and we could probably only be classified as "intelligent" over the last 5000 years--and I'm being generous on that one. Even if an intelligent species visited our planet, the span of our "intelligent" existence is miniscule enough that Earth may have been dismissed as not having intelligent life and now we're long forgotten.

So not only is our own existence miniscule, but that could very well extend to intelligent civilizations on other planets. That is, the chances of us catching another planet with intelligent life, let alone any life at all, are probably going to be very slim.

Perhaps we're just not meant to meet each other.

Melon

Moonlit_Angel said:
I think it's quite possible there's other life forms out there somewhere. With the galaxy being as vast as it is, to assume we're the only living things out there would be pretty silly, I'd think.

That said, however, I've not really seen much hardcore evidence for proof of their existence. I just personally think it's highly plausible, is all.

Angela

That seems the most logical to me as well...I agree...I would need more proff besides hear say stories and the "sightings" reports::hmm:

Who knows. Maybe those "visitations" are actually a future stage of human evolution millions of years in the future, and they've mastered time travel. :sexywink:

Melon

WOW...what an excellent assumption,verte76...I also like the time travel theroy as well...:up: There is so many possiblities , I wish there was some form of proof

Thank you MELON, that was kind of the answer I was looking for. Someone who had more knowledge than me! Is there a book I can read on that?

And WHAT IF all these sightings and visitation theories are really true and the government has kept it under wraps??? They have all the power in the world to keep the 'stories' and 'myths' just that, and they can prevent it from becoming proof.
It just puzzles me this: I was watching a Discovery Channelish show on the birth of the stories of seeing Aliens and two very different people from two different states, in the early 20th century, described the same kind of being, with the big eyes and small mouth. Amazing isn't it?

Studio 54= Area 51. I had a brainfart and couldn't think of the proper name. :der:

Carmelu2fan said:
That seems the most logical to me as well...I agree...I would need more proff besides hear say stories and the "sightings" reports::hmm:

Thanks. Glad you agree :up: :).

Also, I've always been rather interested by the thought that perhaps there's numerous galaxies/planets/what have you that are frozen in certain time periods. That probably sounds really lame and unlikely, but it's just one of the many things I've thought about before.

I've really gotta stop watching sci-fi/supernatural-type shows, LOL :p.

Angela

I suppose somewhere else in the universe there is intelligent life. Just can't see them using earth as a vacation destination. Unless they get a discount rate. I could see that.

Last edited:
If there are highly advanced civilisations 'out there', they'll have to find us, cause I'd say our physical movements are pretty limited at this point. Nearest star - 4 light years aways (and that's if there's anything of value orbiting it). So that's a four year trip if you somehow managed to build a craft that reached the speed of light.

Of course there are the trusty Voyager probes, one of which just left the solar system after having been launched sometime in the mid 1970s.

Back
Top Bottom