US Unemployment Rate falls to 4.4%!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
The US unemployment rate is now at its lowest level since May 2001. With the exception of the period from early 1999 to early 2001, you would have to go back to 1969 to find a US unemployment rate this low. The lowest the unemployment rate got to durring the period from early 1999 to early 2001 was 3.8% in the summer of 2000. The current figure of 4.4% is just about half a percentage point from that mark.

Any further drop in the unemployment rate is going to make things tough for employers as labor shortages will develop as they did in 1999 and 2000 leading to wage pressure and inflation. It would probably be better for the economy for the unemployment rate to stabilize at this level, rather than continue to drop as labor shortages and inflation will eventually cause problems for the economy as a whole.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/03/news/economy/jobs_october/index.htm

On the contrary, I look forward to labor shortages and wage hikes. After all, workers have to suffer through any excuse to lower wages and benefits under normal circumstances. An opportunity for higher wages and benefits would be welcomed.

Melon

Liesje said:
Not here in west Michigan. 49th worse state economic climate. :|

Gotta love the gubernatorial election ads. But, IMO, there's only so much you can do in one term after 12 years of John Engler's reign of terror--not to mention that a Republican legislature will always refuse to cooperate with a Democratic governor.

Melon

melon said:

Gotta love the gubernatorial election ads. But, IMO, there's only so much you can do in one term after 12 years of John Engler's reign of terror--not to mention that a Republican legislature will always refuse to cooperate with a Democratic governor.

Melon

Seriously. I can't wait for Tuesday to come, just to be rid of these ads :banghead: I'm torn on how to vote though, because the de Vos' have done favors for my family (not related to politics, but cancer treatments) and a lot of things related to my high school and college education would not have been possible without their philanthropic efforts, but I don't agree with them politically. I just want it to be over. We have too many family ties to the de Vos', Prince Corp, Amway/Alticorp, Blackwater USA, etc. If the state elects Dick de Vos, then so be it, but I really don't care to be stuck in the middle.

Last edited:
Their philanthropic efforts will certainly continue whether or not DeVos is elected, so I wouldn't see that as a reason to vote for him. I think he'd be a terrible governor.

Melon

you should read 'The world is flat' for some insight into how well the US workforce and especially its future workforce is prepared for what's happening in China, India, Russia and Poland

it's more to get worked up about than the latest unemployment ratings

Salome said:
you should read 'The world is flat' for some insight into how well the US workforce and especially its future workforce is prepared for what's happening in China, India, Russia and Poland

it's more to get worked up about than the latest unemployment ratings

Yep, just like all the books and comparisons about the US workforce to the Japanese workforce in the 1980s and what that meant for the future.

Back
Top Bottom