US soldier kills wounded Iraqi - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2004, 07:05 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SouthPark(R)

For those of you who sit on your couches in front of your television, and choose to condemn this man's actions, I have but one thing to say to you. Get out of your recliner, lace up my boots, pick up a rifle, leave your family behind and join me. See what I've seen, walk where I have walked.
Some of us have seen war first hand. Except we didn't have an AK-47 and a band of brothers behind us. We were children at the mercy of an adult world gone mad. I have some amount of distaste for military people who get up on a pulpit to preach about the horrors they've seen as if though the rest of us have been living peachy lives and couldn't possibly have the foresight or understanding it takes to relate to them in this situation.

I feel very sorry for these men. Some of us who live through war, by the grace of God come away with our humanity intact and an ability to move one with life. Others will have their lives torn apart and in moments of great stress will not be able to tell right from wrong. I sympathize with them, and I also see it as wrong at the same time. My hope is for some kind of just resolution for everyone involved.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:34 PM   #17

Local Time: 05:30 PM
I don’t know about that. I have an uncle who was in Nam, two Grandfathers in WW2, and do work for a senior center that does a lot with veterans. The message I get from all of them is that it was hell. They all said it was surreal. I can’t even imagine it. Being stolen from all the things you know, go through the most intense piece of training that you will ever have to, have a gun trust in to your hands, and then being told that some man you have never met is the enemy and deserves to die.

It defiantly does something to you. I don’t think it was because he made an unconscious choice between right or wrong. I think it was because he was a afraid, being afraid with a gun in hand is not a good combo.

Like you said I just hope a resolution comes out of this that is considerate, thought out and just.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:37 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:30 AM
War makes people crazy. I really cannot sit in judgment of this soldier's actions as horrible as this is and as much as I am against this war. War does not promote clear thinking and rational actions. I've no doubt that, as Norse said, it is pure hell and no one can know how they would respond in the same situation.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:15 AM   #19
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:30 PM
Very smart, nuanced article from Slate:

http://www.slate.com/id/2109904/

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:14 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Re: Re: US soldier kills wounded Iraqi

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

wounded and unarmed
Exactly.

Wonder what the international law or Geneva convention have to say about killing wounded and unarmed civilians.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:57 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

It probably says don't do it.

Are you somehow under the impression that the US has not been prosecuting soldiers that violate the Convention in Iraq?
Old 11-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 11:30 AM
Re: Re: Re: US soldier kills wounded Iraqi

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Exactly.

Wonder what the international law or Geneva convention have to say about killing wounded and unarmed civilians.

Perhaps you don't know that it is also against the Geneva Conventions to "play dead," which you can clearly hear the soldier shouting in the video that the insurgent was "playing dead." In fact, the man who shot this "poor helpless" terrorist had a man from his unit killed shortly before because one of these terrorists was playing dead until the soldier was close enough to kill.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:54 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Do not let possible facts get in the way of USA bashing.......

Old 11-29-2004, 11:17 AM   #24
The Fly

Local Time: 05:30 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: US soldier kills wounded Iraqi

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
Perhaps you don't know that it is also against the Geneva Conventions to "play dead
Really? I've never heard that before, could you point out which article of the conventions states that?
Old 11-29-2004, 11:58 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Wow, ask a perfectly neutral question and get bashing and assumptions in return. Thought FYM got better.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:03 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

If your question was neutral I have a gold mine to sell you. I responded respectfully to you that it was in there.

Then I asked you a question, because it appears to me that yours implies somehow, most of the soldiers in the United States armed forces, are not paying attention to the geneva convention.

My other comment had to do with the fact that people seem to be ignoring the full story, that Iraqis are PRETENDING to be injured and then attacking. If I have to choose between my life and someone possibly pretending to be injured, I am not sure I would wait to find out if I were right or wrong. Please keep in mind I have not viewed the tapes.

I am not sure I agree with the statement that it is agains the Geneva convention to do this. There are restrictions but I have not had the time to look it up.