US Presidential Election 2016...because it's never too early - Page 47 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #691
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:44 PM
US Presidential Election 2016...because it's never too early

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
We absolutely should convert to the metric system, and I think the average American could handle it.

However, I do prefer Fahrenheit over Celsius for weather purposes (and that's it). Maybe by design, Fahrenheit does a good job of spreading out the typical weather temperatures over a wide range, concurrently between 0 and 100. And just stating a "decile" of that (70s, 80s, whatever) is a pretty decent way of giving someone a picture of what it feels like outside. Celsius, while a much more practical system in science, bunches the weather temperatures up in a significantly smaller range, and 1.8 times as temperature levels fit in a group of ten Celsius integers.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yep. I worked mightily to speak in Celcius when living abroad, and I came to appreciate the precision of Farenheit.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #692
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
0 as freezing point and 100 as boiling point makes a heap more sense than freezing point as 32 and boiling point as 212. That just seems to be numbers plucked out of thin air! The idea of Celsius seeming bunched together I guess is just perception. There already isn't that much of a meaningful distinction between 22 and 23 Celsius - there's even less between 71 and 72 Fahrenheit.

And you can just as easily say "low twenties" for Celsius as you can "seventies" Fahrenheit. Same amount of syllables, even.

But we can say low, mid, or upper 70s. And perhaps having grow up with it, I can fairly precisely decide what it is I should be wearing based on the difference between 72 and 77.

I'm with everyone else on everything else and obviously we should do metric, which I believe I was taught in school even if daily life is expressed otherwise -- I find kilometers kind of wussy, like doing knee-pushups, but it is pleasant and satisfying to see how quickly they fly by when you're road tripping in Europe.

Could we also talk about how the UK and Australia are in a minority of countries driving on the wrong side of the road?

We tend to think its cute and charming and antiquated and part of cultural differences, but when we behave in antiquated ways (inches, gallons) we're met with sneer and derision. What gives?

Old 06-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #693
45:33

Local Time: 01:44 PM
Irvine's conservatism finally rears its ugly head.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:35 PM   #694
Blue Crack Addict

When I was a kid, Canada was still within the first 10-15 years of conversion. We learned strictly metric measurements in school, and pretty much everything in terms of distance and packaging was in metric by then. My parents and grandparents still spoke to each other in terms of weather in Fahrenheit most of the time. The weather channel on TV reported both Fahrenheit and Celsius temperatures until I was about six years old (as "72/21" or whatever). The TV and news all stopped reporting Fahrenheit around then at the same time, then everybody stopped mentioning Fahrenheit degrees in conversation after another year or so.

Doing it gradually like this seemed to work just fine here. Nobody uses the Imperial system here anymore, and it doesn't make any sense. The only good thing to me about Imperial measurements is that it was surprisingly satisfying to see the temperature gauge in my rental car go from 99 to 100 degrees in the Mojave.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #695
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
I can think of 3 big reasons how it would mindfuck Americans. Temperatures in Celsius. Speed in Km/hour. And Gas in Price per liter.

There would be a huge backlash. Especially for Weather temperatures. Small talk would be impossible.

You heard it here, we are not exceptional; we are ignorant and lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 06-20-2015, 01:34 PM   #696
Blue Crack Addict

I for one think it's very wise to make policy decisions on the basis of being able to have a smooth conversation with the mail carrier or the cashier at the grocery store.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #697
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

US Presidential Election 2016...because it's never too early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
I can think of 3 big reasons how it would mindfuck Americans. Temperatures in Celsius. Speed in Km/hour. And Gas in Price per liter.
Speed will be especially hard, considering car manufacturers already put the conversion from mph to kph right there on the speedometer.

Quote:
There would be a huge backlash. Especially for Weather temperatures. Small talk would be impossible.

Yes, because all small talk is centered around the weather?

Imagine how much harder it is to say "man, it's going to be 35 degrees today" instead of "man, it's going to be 95 degrees out there!"
Old 06-20-2015, 01:50 PM   #698
ONE
love, blood, life

You can switch over without changing the way you talk. That'll find its way out over time.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #699
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Yes, because all small talk is centered around the weather?

Imagine how much harder it is to say "man, it's going to be 35 degrees today" instead of "man, it's going to be 95 degrees out there!"
Like I said earlier, I'm sure there would be a transition period where they would show both Fahrenheit and Celsius on the weather reports for a while anyways. Some people seem to have the idea that they would just wake up one morning and everything would be switched over instantly and it would just cause chaos.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #700
ONE
love, blood, life

Confession: I make my car read the temperature in Celsius for this blasphemous, un-American Armageddon.

I digress. We should speak in degrees rankine! And maybe concert our food information from calories into BTU!
Old 06-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #701
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Maybe the entire world should just start reading temperatures in Kelvin. Degrees in decimals, so the Fahrenheit fans can have their accuracy, and it has a logical scale for the Celcius fans. Win/win for science!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 06-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #702
Blue Crack Addict

Kelvin is a nice idea, but unfortunately the chances of it ever actually happening are absolute zero.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:14 PM   #703
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Heyooooo!
Old 06-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #704
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 PM
At least it would bring gasoline prices down.

I'm tire of looking at $4 gas prices.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #705
She's the One

Local Time: 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Speed will be especially hard, considering car manufacturers already put the conversion from mph to kph right there on the speedometer.
I've been trying to practice reading my speeds in kph around town, but the km readings on my speedo are damn near impossible to read without squinting, staring, and crashing.

JUST DO IT THE AMERICAN WAY.