US Presidential Election 2016...because it's never too early

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We GOP just need a magic negro on the ticket to tip this our way in the elecoral college vote scramble

Last edited:
Can I just say every single person in every other Western country in the developed world is sitting here shaking their heads that this Trump shit is actually a thing

Ill back you up on that. Except as a Canadian I have to apologise for Stephen Harper, so Americans aren't alone in their taste for daft twats.

Can I just say every single person in every other Western country in the developed world is sitting here shaking their heads that this Trump shit is actually a thing

He's on the same plane as Nigel Farage was, just with more wealth and less of that insincere aristocratic politeness.

ImageUploadedByU2 Interference1437636404.910134.jpg

Saw this on Twitter: Day 2 of a Trump Presidency

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's just a media circus here, though. I don't see it as a serious or sustainable political thing whatsoever, nor does really anyone else.

That's it, I'm convinced that Trump is an absolute moron or a very intelligent double agent for Hillary.

He's neither. He's simply an egomaniac who likes attention. He knows saying off-the-wall shit only gets you so far as long as you're a crazy billionaire, so he threw his name into the presidential ring to hear his name get repeated ad nauseum.

I'm sure half of the crazy shit he says he genuinely believes or at least doesn't mind throwing out there even if he later thinks better of it, but the other half is just him loving himself in the spotlight.

He's the most extreme example of the theory that all press is good press. If your goal truly is just money and attention, Donald Trump is one of your idols.

Trump is just tapping into the anti DC establishment feeling. Not sure how far he will get. Can't wait for the first debate in a couple weeks.

Christie really has it in for Rand Paul. Caught him laying into him on The Five. But the Jersey Fresh Tomato himself may not make the cut for the first debate.

Yes. I don't get his appeal as a candidate. Bob and I were just piling on.

I was just spitballing him as a possible VP candidate. He has no chance in the election and I wouldn't vote for him. I am just interested to see if he has a strong showing in the debates, and thusly, if that catapults him into a VP running mate candidate. He fits the mold of someone that a republican candidate could very well target.

Trump is just tapping into the anti DC establishment feeling. Not sure how far he will get. Can't wait for the first debate in a couple weeks.

Christie really has it in for Rand Paul. Caught him laying into him on The Five. But the Jersey Fresh Tomato himself may not make the cut for the first debate.

Christie is a typical politician and a good one at that, and I would never vote for him in a primary. Trump is not a politician and makes absolutely no effort to try and be one, that's what makes him appealing to many.
I was a fan of Rand Paul early, but he's kinda lost me and doesn't stand a chance.

Have I mentioned enough in these threads how much I hate the two party system? Life is not as simple as two "teams" make it seem.

Reading about the Republican party pointing at him and his few liberal ideas just makes me sick. Like, who fucking cares if someone doesn't line up with all your stupid check marks perfectly... Do people's needs honestly mean nothing?

Goddddd I wish we had a different electoral system.

Have I mentioned enough in these threads how much I hate the two party system? Life is not as simple as two "teams" make it seem.

Reading about the Republican party pointing at him and his few liberal ideas just makes me sick. Like, who fucking cares if someone doesn't line up with all your stupid check marks perfectly... Do people's needs honestly mean nothing?

:up: *standing ovation*
Winner take all electoral system is a joke. It's what kills 3rd parties. People don't want to waste their votes.

:up: *standing ovation*
Winner take all electoral system is a joke. It's what kills 3rd parties. People don't want to waste their votes.

I understand your desire for a pure 3 party system. If we had a parliamentary system it might work. In the meantime you can breakdown all the candidates into subgroups.

Establishment vs Grass Roots (on both sides)

With hybrid candidates like Rubio and wild-cards like Trump

Only problem though is that with many parties you could get a president with, say, 29% of the vote. The tyranny of the biggest minority.

Hillary Clinton said this at a rally yesterday.

“I mean if we’re honest, for a lot of well-meaning, open-minded white people, the sight of a young black man in a hoodie still evokes a twinge of fear,” Clinton said.

Imagine if a Republican had said that.

Hillary Clinton: Let's Be Honest, Black Men In Hoodies Are Scary

Click bait, I hate the state of web "journalism". All sides do it, and it will be the death of information. Don't fall for it.

Yeah, at this point, this stuff is refreshing to hear from Hillary. Many of us have been talking about it indefinitely but for it to become mainstream should be a positive.

Hillary's awful, that's nothing new.

Except what she's saying is 100% true. It's completely tragic and awful that it is true, of course, but that doesn't make it less true.

The people of the United States would be wise to elect Bernie Sanders. He is the only candidate that tells you exactly what is going on and what needs to change. He is the only candidate that really wants to knock off a lot of the bull shit that is going on. He is the only candidate that truly wants everybody to do alright in this country. He is the only candidate that will tell you that a few have way too much and too many have way too little. This is the way we need to go. We can vote Republican and go backwards or we can vote for Hillary and hope we don't slide too far backwards as she sticks with the status quo and does some useless nibbling around the edges. If we want to go forward we have to elect Bernie Sanders and many more like him as reps and senators.

Last edited:
If we want to keep arch conservatives off the Supreme Court and not get ourselves into any more stupid wars in the Middle East (or elsewhere) we need a Democrat who can win. Winning is everything.

So far, Sanders has not shown he can reach out and speak to blacks and Hispanics and get them to turn out on Election Day. Democrats need those votes to win, just as the GOP needs evangelicals to win. We know the Clinton machine can turn them out. Bernie may prove he can do this, and that would be great. But so far, while I understand his great appeal, he seems like a familiar white progressive candidate who progressive whites get excited about early in the primaries (Bill Bradley, Howard Dean) but who can't perform when it comes down to getting votes.

As of today, I would choose HRC over Sanders for this reason, even if I might prefer many of Bernie's actual positions and policies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom