US PolitIX - Michael Cohen Ruined Infrastructure Week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:scratch: so let's not concern ourselves the fact that he most likely would have sent millions to their deaths (myself included since that was right at the time when i was in the military and we had a conservative government who would have signed on for that shit in a heartbeat) because he wasn't a big meanie like most other politicians today are? maybe i don't understand what you're trying to say.

Last edited:
:scratch: so let's ignore the fact that he most likely would have sent millions to their deaths because he wasn't a big meanie like most other politicians today are? maybe i don't understand what you're trying to say.

I mean you’ve heard me criticize George W. Bush over that multiple times.

You’re insisting I judge McCain, the president of the United States of Universe B.

McCain didn’t order millions to their deaths. This is like arguing a pitcher is good because of his peripherals, despite a career of 4.00+ ERA showings. McCain is dead. It’s all done. His legacy is set. But like I said, this had nothing to do with his hawkishness. I’m disregarding views and assessing tactics. These new Trumpites present political capitalization, unlike the McCains of this world who would play ball.

I will happily assert that your theoretical president McCain and the legacy left by him, inclusive of a million sent to death, does not scratch the surface of what this new “political capitalization” is capable of. It might not be Trump himself, but once the system is gone, good luck getting it back. Global destabilization of a superpower is about the most dangerous thing the world can experience.

ah, now i have a better understanding of what you meant. thanks for elaborating.

i admit that for me there is a personal element - like i said, i was in the army at that time and there is no doubt whatsoever that the stephen harper government would have sent the canadian forces into combat (he said even in the 2010s that not sending troops to iraq was a mistake). considering my job was primarily to sit in an unarmoured tent surrounded by dozens of loud, hot, and highly-visible electronics with a 100-foot tall "drop bombs here" antenna sticking out of it (go signals!), it's not much of a stretch to say that john mccain (and stephen harper) would literally have gotten me killed. so you'll have to please forgive my inability to leave his warmongering policies out of my assessment of the man.

:shrug:

I think to better understand my opinion of someone like John McCain, you should understand that I don’t find service to be inherently honorable. That’s not intended as an offense, since you’ve clearly identified your service. But I loathe war mongerers, I loathe militaristic action, and I loathe war. I also loathe the “chivalristic” aspect of war. The “honor” that is so falsely tied to it. The colors, the rituals, he routines, the badges. The whole gettup to attract patriotism and have young men and women serve greedy old people in the name of their country.

I DO find heroism in warriors. They are heroes. Some. They are good people. Some. They save lives. Both of their own and of innocent people around the world. Some are also responsible for unnecessary death. Some are not good people. Some are unnecessarily forced to kill in the name of their government. It’s not so black and white to say “thank you for your service.” In the same sense that we can’t hate all police or love all of them.

So, about McCain, I don’t find his service to be honorable. I find his strength and fortitude as a POW to be honorable, and I find it to show how much he does love his country. I also find his personal life to suggest that he does love not just his own country, but the concept of “liberty.” He was a man of conviction.

I wouldn’t want him as my president and I agree he would be just another old man who lived to tell the tale, guiding young men and women to die in the name of “honor” as though a life is less important than geopolitics and waging war to assert power and dominance. Your life would be at risk. I can appreciate that.

What I see in Trumpism is a genuine path to the deconstruction of globalization we the western people have carefully constructed. And with that deconstruction, reopening of the doors that led to uncontrollable world chaos to settle with new harmony under some new set of tenants or rules.

I think to better understand my opinion of someone like John McCain, you should understand that I don’t find service to be inherently honorable. That’s not intended as an offense, since you’ve clearly identified your service. But I loathe war mongerers, I loathe militaristic action, and I loathe war. I also loathe the “chivalristic” aspect of war. The “honor” that is so falsely tied to it. The colors, the rituals, he routines, the badges. The whole gettup to attract patriotism and have young men and women serve greedy old people in the name of their country.

I DO find heroism in warriors. They are heroes. Some. They are good people. Some. They save lives. Both of their own and of innocent people around the world. Some are also responsible for unnecessary death. Some are not good people. Some are unnecessarily forced to kill in the name of their government. It’s not so black and white to say “thank you for your service.” In the same sense that we can’t hate all police or love all of them.

i agree 1000% with what you're saying here. it's absolutely crazy to me when people automatically think that the instant you put on a uniform you're some almighty infallible hero who deserves blind support no matter what. far and away the worst people i have ever had the displeasure to work with were in the military.

i once watched a corporal be given an order to test some satellite equipment by a female major. he acted like it was no big deal, and as soon as she left 10 seconds later he starts loudly proclaiming that he wasn't about to take orders from "some bitch", how cute it was that she thought she had power over a man (again, she was a major and he was a corporal), and that he would never do what she told him to do. he spent literally the entire day going up the chain of command trying to get the order countermanded and framed it as a bullshit technicality that she wasn't really in his chain of command (she was the 2IC of 1 squadron and we were in 2 squadron). he was completely unsuccessful and had to do it anyways, so he ended up dragging out a task that would have taken two hours into two days of sexist bullshit. more than a few of the guys (myself emphatically NOT included) quietly agreed with what he was doing and admired him for "taking a stand". absolutely nothing happened to him for directly disobeying an order from an officer who was nine ranks above.

on top of this, you have horrible racists who can say absolutely everything short of "gas the (whatevers)" while in uniform and absolutely nothing happens to them until they do something illegal and get in trouble with the civilian cops. you have unhinged people with obvious mental illnesses and violent tendencies being given live weapons - one time on the range i was legitimately so concerned that one guy who was a particular psycho was going to start shooting at the rest of us that i failed my weapons test 4 straight times, until he left the range and i could relax and focus. i met more than a few guys who i was convinced would have no hesitation whatsoever raping and killing an entire village full of civilians in a war zone if they thought they could get away with it, and they would deeply enjoy committing such an atrocity.

90% of my job was literally just sitting around waiting for someone to tell us what to do while these deplorable shits cracked racist and sexist "jokes", but i couldn't leave because i had to be available for a task when someone higher up came down looking for privates to do a job. i couldn't say anything because the likelihood of getting beaten the fuck up was real. it's probably the number one reason i got out of the military - i loved the technical stuff i was doing with communications, but the environment was so toxic i had to get out. 5% of the rest of my job was setting up and testing and counting radio gear, 3% was doing "soldier stuff" like weapons training and rucksack marching, and then the other 2% was actually doing the stuff i was trained for (i was on the disaster assistance response team, so my only deployment was to assist on flood relief in manitoba). so when anyone calls me a veteran or tries to thank me for my "service" i cringe hard inside.

so yea, i have a deep objection to people who see someone in military uniform as automatically virtuous. there are lots of amazing people in the canadian forces but there were a ton of bad apples that really poisoned the well. anybody who thinks all soldiers are heroes is a flat-out idiot.

So, about McCain, I don’t find his service to be honorable. I find his strength and fortitude as a POW to be honorable, and I find it to show how much he does love his country. I also find his personal life to suggest that he does love not just his own country, but the concept of “liberty.” He was a man of conviction.

edit: i misread what you were saying above (my bad) but i'll leave the below bit there as it explains my perspective anyways.

this is where i disagree strongly. even as a lowly radio operator, if i were ever captured, just the fact that i know what the crypto keys are means i would have insanely valuable information to any enemy - if the taliban (for example) ever got a hold of those crypto keys it would mean they could listen in on all NATO communications, which would let them know every convoy route and troop movement, get a warning of every airstrike, etc. we were instructed that in the event we were captured and tortured we would be expected to hold out for a minimum of 72 hours because that was how long it would take to change all the NATO crypto keys. there is no chance in hell that i would be able to survive five consecutive days of torture without saying anything. none whatsoever.

now think about how much more valuable information an officer who flies fighter/bomber missions would be privy to. my understanding is that john mccain held out in the most torturous conditions possible without revealing any useful information for six years. he could have at any point divulged things that he would have known, like target priorities, names of ships and military units attacks were being launched from, air doctrine, technical info of the aircraft, troop/airbase/ship positions, among tons of other strategically valuable bits he could have given up. but he didn't, and almost certainly directly and personally saved the lives of many of his fellow servicewomen and men. that is definitely "honourable".

this is why i say i respect his military service immensely.

I wouldn’t want him as my president and I agree he would be just another old man who lived to tell the tale, guiding young men and women to die in the name of “honor” as though a life is less important than geopolitics and waging war to assert power and dominance. Your life would be at risk. I can appreciate that.

What I see in Trumpism is a genuine path to the deconstruction of globalization we the western people have carefully constructed. And with that deconstruction, reopening of the doors that led to uncontrollable world chaos to settle with new harmony under some new set of tenants or rules.

i agree that trumpism is dangerous in many ways that have been discussed here before, but i don't see any way that globalization gets deconstructed any more than someone could "deconstruct" the industrial revolution. the entire course of history has bent towards the advances in communication, transportation, economics, etc that we would associate with "globalization". it's like people (not speaking about you here bae) freaking out about immigrants like we've never had to deal with mass human migration before, when literally all of history is the story of humans moving around the earth. we migrate. we connect with the people around us using the tools that are available to us. it's only fairly recently (relatively speaking) that we've had the tools that allow us to do so on a global scale. but short of massive nuclear war or some catastrophic natural disaster essentially wiping out humanity, it's not like we're going to stop using chinese smartphones, or buying mangoes from brazil, or going on vacations in france.

Last edited:
Sometimes I really wish you two had avatars that didn’t look so damn similar on the app.

Sometimes I really wish you two had avatars that didn’t look so damn similar on the app.

i assume you mean me and LN7 since we were going back and forth before that but uh...our avatars look absolutely nothing alike on the app or any other platform :scratch:

So he wants to regulate Google searches because they are returning too many negative stories about him?

Can nobody in that bloody White House sit him down for 3 minutes to explain to him how a Google search algorithm works? Does anybody even talk to him? If not, why are they working there? You have to think at this point that's where careers go to die...

Michael Avenatti wants the media to stop calling him a celebrity because that demeans his career and accomplishments. But here he is posing for Annie Leibowitz in Vogue.

Who could turn that down though, she makes everyone look like a supermodel. Thought you might appreciate the photo anitram :sexywink: Need to find a better quality version..

DlryC3aVsAEy5-R.jpeg

So he wants to regulate Google searches because they are returning too many negative stories about him?

Can nobody in that bloody White House sit him down for 3 minutes to explain to him how a Google search algorithm works? Does anybody even talk to him? If not, why are they working there? You have to think at this point that's where careers go to die...
I don't know if he knows how the algorithms work or not - I simply don't think he cares.

He's the toddler King. Everything must be about him, and it must be good, otherwise it's the cement shoes for you.

next he'll want the bible changed since he isn't mentioned in it.

i assume you mean me and LN7 since we were going back and forth before that but uh...our avatars look absolutely nothing alike on the app or any other platform :scratch:

In fairness yours is Bono from the Coexist photoshoots and mine is Bono from the iPod commercials so he looks pretty similar in both due to close age ??*♂️

Thought you might appreciate the photo anitram :sexywink:

:lol:

My husband is flabbergasted that I find MA attractive, he's like that guy looks like a squirrel. Ha!

I saw a funny tweet that said "Turns out the only person Trump hired who was qualified to do their job was Stormy Daniels."

:lol:

My husband is flabbergasted that I find MA attractive, he's like that guy looks like a squirrel. Ha!

I saw a funny tweet that said "Turns out the only person Trump hired who was qualified to do their job was Stormy Daniels."

I find him attractive too, I follow him on Instagram haha. What's attractive non physical is his intelligence and confidence, that makes him seem even more physically attractive. I've said it here before, if I was in trouble I would want him in my corner.

I saw that tweet too, it's dead on accurate.

Fucking infuriating. This tragedy is equal in scope to 9/11 and is fucking ignored.

i honestly don't understand why nobody seems to care. if i was puerto rican i think i'd feel totally abandoned - i would never want anything to do with the US again. if they were their own country at least they'd have gotten international aid. but donald trump gave them some paper towel tho so it probably works out the same.

Well in large the whole thing was silenced by the media-in-control so the “fake news” media came off as “just hating the president” when attempting to make it mainstream news.

Crazy upset on the dem side last night in Florida. DeSantis v. Gillum... Florida Democrats didn’t do that ex-republican thing. I’m shocked.

McSally, in an effort to appease Trumpsters, turned down the endorsement of the senator (Jeff Flake) who is vacating that seat.

You can’t make this shit up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom