US Politics XIV: Vote for Pedro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Politics in the age of information tends to polarization. It’s like trying to mix water with oil. If there’s enough chaos, it will mix, and when it settles, it will split.

That’s what happened to the republicans in 2016. That’s what might happen to the democrats if they win on a more left platform. If you ask me, Nancy falls from the Democratic graces of they win.

The checks and balances concept, and really the whole "three houses of government" thing, was built with two ideas in mind: 1) the two party system will never overcome the cultural divide between the north and the south, and thus the two parties will never unify on issues the way we see now, and 2) the Senate holding things up will always be a good thing because the elites know better than the unwashed masses.

It's a system that was never meant to fight against one party united to protect itself above all else, and never meant to fight inequality between the have's and the have not's. On the latter point, it was designed specifically to close the door on the influence of those without money, power, and influence.

Meanwhile, ICE's acting director is openly complaining that Trump needs to stop bragging about ICE's raids so that they can more effectively kidnap people.

EAKuolvXYAQSFmI.jpg

The checks and balances concept, and really the whole "three houses of government" thing, was built with two ideas in mind:

The first thing that needs to be done is to expand/pack the SCOTUS. At a minimum to 11, if not 13. People then get all up in arms and say, yeah, but then the next GOP President will make it 15! Good. They should. First of all, the larger the court, the less influential and important a single seat becomes. We are literally in an age where all that matters in a federal election is the life/death of one SCOTUS justice. That is sheer insanity. With 11, 13, 15, 19 justices, you will have a much broader range of opinions and rulings. And they do not need to all sit in a panel, you can assign cases in a rotating order of 9 or whatever. Furthermore, the US is a massive country with a large number of cases that do not end up being heard due to capacity issues. That would also be alleviated if you had a larger and more active SCOTUS.

This change is imperative and so far I think that only Pete Buttigieg has openly come in favour of it. Could be I've missed some others.

The first thing that needs to be done is to expand/pack the SCOTUS. At a minimum to 11, if not 13. People then get all up in arms and say, yeah, but then the next GOP President will make it 15! Good. They should. First of all, the larger the court, the less influential and important a single seat becomes. We are literally in an age where all that matters in a federal election is the life/death of one SCOTUS justice. That is sheer insanity. With 11, 13, 15, 19 justices, you will have a much broader range of opinions and rulings. And they do not need to all sit in a panel, you can assign cases in a rotating order of 9 or whatever. Furthermore, the US is a massive country with a large number of cases that do not end up being heard due to capacity issues. That would also be alleviated if you had a larger and more active SCOTUS.

This change is imperative and so far I think that only Pete Buttigieg has openly come in favour of it. Could be I've missed some others.
Totally agree. Packing the court, statehood for DC and Puerto Rico, a national voting rights act ... these are all things that should be day one items for any Democrat running.

I think his point was that Trump is at least uniting for most of those on the right, whereas Pelosi and Schumer are deeply unpopular with those to their left. Certainly Trump is the most loathsome, and the passion with which he is loathed is likely unequaled.

Certainly. By raw numbers, Trump is probably more loathed than all of them, but he has his base. Nancy and Chuck are floating out in the middle trying to make memes or something. They’ve arguably got the same 33% base the Donald has...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom