US Politics XIV: Vote for Pedro - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #271
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:57 PM
Lol this shit is hilarious

Old 05-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #272
Blue Crack Distributor

I wonder how many 60 year olds in Kentucky realize that the women's soccer player talking about being a warrior for her country in her USA jersey in thr first commercial after Tucker went to break is married to Sue Bird.

This puts a smile on my face.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:03 PM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:57 PM
You've got a stronger stomach than I do, watching Tucker Carlson. I heard that story a while back about those comments he'd made some years ago in which he defended Warren Jeffs. That alone is enough to make me wish he could be dropkicked into a volcano.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:05 PM   #274
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Months before evangelical leader Jerry Falwell Jr.’s game-changing presidential endorsement of Donald Trump in 2016, Falwell asked Trump fixer Michael Cohen for a personal favor, Cohen said in a recorded conversation reviewed by Reuters.

Falwell, president of Liberty University, one of the world’s largest Christian universities, said someone had come into possession of what Cohen described as racy “personal” photographs -- the sort that would typically be kept “between husband and wife,” Cohen said in the taped conversation.
Happy days are here again! The pool boy stories are true!
Old 05-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Couldn't have happened to a worse fella.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

jerry falwell dick pics and robert kraft handy vids both exist in this world.

we are truly in the darkest timeline.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #277
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post

You're missing one

Old 05-07-2019, 09:27 PM   #278
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanfish View Post

There are as you said many different components of the Democratic base. College educated women, usually highly concentrated in the suburbs. African American voters, Latino voters, younger voters, LGBT, and for much of the party's history - Union members, which skew into that white working class area. But who are the most reliable?

The most reliable? African American voters over 40 (especially women). Right now, Biden is leading in that category by almost FIFTY points. College educated women are the next most reliable. Hillary did not do that well with them. But there was about an 8% shift to the Dems from 2016 to 2018 midterms.
Union/"working class" white vote has slumped in the last decade. Biden has a solid base of support there, so may gain back a healthy percentage.
The youth vote is a joke. Fools gold now and will always be.

oh, look. actual facts.

i literally have almost no feelings about Biden. but the above is very real, at least in this present moment.

successful Democratic candidates aren't driven by the base, they are driven by the creation of successful coalitions between different groups. that's who makes up the party -- it's not nearly as monolithic as the almost now exclusively white GOP which actually does win elections by motivating it's base. it's base is much bigger and much more single issue (abortion, guns). the Democrats do not have this. the parties are different. we aren't just one more clarifying critique of "capitalism" away from turning out legions of non-voters who, up until said upcoming critique, have refused to vote because they are disgusted by the system. these voters do not exist in any meaningful numbers.

2018 was a smashing success because the Democrats won with moderates. it really doesn't matter what i, Acela-corridor liberal, want. what matters is what will simultaneously drive up african-american votes in the cities and not alienate the white guy making $120k in the suburbs who has two kids he needs to put through college. because that's who votes.

i will literally vote for any Democrat nominated, and i probably lean Warren at the moment for a variety of reasons, and i'm waiting to commit until the debates begin and i see how people perform. but we also have to understand reality as it is and not as we wish it to be. using shame and sanctimony to draw lines in the sand doesn't make you good or moral. it just makes you insufferable.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:32 PM   #279
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
i don't buy this "compromise and small steps over a long period are the only possible way" notion. that attitude would have meant LGBTQ+ people would almost certainly only have the option of "civil union" today. we didn't accept a half-ass compromise then in the face of "it's too much too fast to ask for full marriage equality right now," and look where we are today.

equal marriage rights started with the AIDS crisis and was kickstarted in Hawaii in 1993. there were many compromises and small steps along the way, from Massachusetts in 2003 onward.

it seems fast, but only in retrospect. it took decades of gay people not demanding, but *explaining* their lives to people, creating points of connection and empathy. that took real, sustained work over a long period of time, and numerous political compromises. so much work was done to gradually lay the framework for the overturn of DOMA that this statement ignores.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:37 PM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
equal marriage rights started with the AIDS crisis and was kickstarted in Hawaii in 1993. there were many compromises and small steps along the way, from Massachusetts in 2003 onward.

it seems fast, but only in retrospect. it took decades of gay people not demanding, but *explaining* their lives to people, creating points of connection and empathy. that took real, sustained work over a long period of time, and numerous political compromises. so much work was done to gradually lay the framework for the overturn of DOMA that this statement ignores.
yea you're definitely right. i would never intend to demean or ignore the long history behind the fight for equality. i just wanted to make the point that we can't compromise into a situation that's "acceptable" to the GOP for the sake of getting *something* passed, because they'll never relinquish another inch beyond that point.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #281
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
yea you're definitely right. i would never intend to demean or ignore the long history behind the fight for equality. i just wanted to make the point that we can't compromise into a situation that's "acceptable" to the GOP for the sake of getting *something* passed, because they'll never relinquish another inch beyond that point.

believe me, i agree that the GOP, as a party, is a corrupt, criminal enterprise that must be stopped.

but i've been spending a lot of time of late in red states, and i promise you, their voters are not the inhuman monsters they are made out to be in here (as i've done in the past as well ... and as the trolls in here act). i meet absolutely lovely people who watch Fox News. there has to be a way to connect, and i believe that's what successful Democrats do.

the GOP will only win an election if their base turns out. the Democrats win when they pull the center to their side. it's just how it is.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:51 PM   #282
Blue Crack Addict

GOP voters definitely aren't all monsters, but the people they vote for sure are.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #283
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 02:57 PM
So apparently Trump doesn't want his tax returns released because his companies lost a billion dollars over the past decade, not because they show him to be a criminal.

I mean he still may be a criminal, but honestly the former is probably more of a negative with his base than the latter.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:51 PM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

over a billion dollars from 1985-1994. adjust that for inflation and it's almost double that in 2019 dollars.

at that rate he probably had 50 bucks in his checking account when he ran for president.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:57 PM
Quote:

Between this and the stuff we've learned about Trump's sex life the last couple years, I'm going to need, like, fifty industrial-sized cans of brain bleach.