US Politics XIV: Vote for Pedro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they take Arizona, Colorado and Maine (and lose Alabama) they'll be one seat short of flipping the senate (provided they also win the White House).

The math is much clearer in 2020 than it was in 2018. I'm not saying it's a lock, but if a Democrat carries the White House it's not unreasonable for that momentum to carry a few candidates with them over the finish line.

possible shots in TX (Beto), GA, Iowa??? And Bullock could win in MT if he runs...

every single time a new forum member signs up i feel like (whether i consciously mean to or not) i'm going to be forensically analyzing their posts to try and figure out if it's orgorp.

14608107_1180665285312703_1558693314_n.jpg

definitely.

i think the political strategy is to peck away at laws rather than fully overturn RvW. that will give incentive for people to keep going to the polls and feeling as if they are part of a movement that's making incremental but clear process.

the governor signed the bill. abortion is a felony in Alabama.

I don't know what you're so upset about. The sponsor of the bill clearly stated, that a woman, or young child raped by her uncle, would be able to have any abortion procedure she would like, as long as she didn't know she was pregnant. So yeah. Pretty much pro-choice.

What if the 14 year old was impregnated by a 70 year old senate candidate?

Great question! We can be assured the she was wearing some sort of inappropriate clothing to lure him in like the snake in the Garden of Eden!
She would jailed and he would be elected in a landslide! God bless AMERICAAAAAA!!!!

https://twitter.com/tomwatson/status/1129036119537008641?s=21

We had one chance to stop this madness. Or at least curb it to some check/control

But the Dems again prove they are worthless at governing.

We are so fucked

I get your point. I truly do. I would love for nothing more than the congress to have this beautiful tool to say, look at how awful this guy is, and then send him packing.
But this is complicated and complicated beyond any imagination because of who we are talking about. And now, the fat toad of an AG that is aiding him.

Here's the deal. We all can agree that if he is impeached, he isn't going anywhere. He will not be convicted by the Senate.
Voters actually agree to just keep investigating and not so much jump to impeachment off the bat. Why is this good?

1. Ongoing investigation will be the sort of drip drip of oppo information that chipped away at Clinton with Wikileaks and Comey announcement.

2. Ongoing investigation will highlight the White Houses stonewalling which gives the perception of guilt.

3. Investigations may very well open up a can of worms that will be a kill shot to this orange turd. Looks like McGahn and Mueller are in line to testify. Maybe Lewindowski and then others... The courts seem to be expediting the release of Trumps financial document lawsuit. and I think the Tax Returns are inevitable at this point. Lots to work with in the days to come. All being a new wave of bad news for Trump each week or month.

4. Trump doesn't give 1 shit about impeachment. In fact, he would absolutely LOVE it.
This would be him at every rally.
"Well folks. My real Americans here with me. They did it. They broke every law, and used the FBI and CIA to spy on me, and come up with fake evidence! AFTER I was completely cleared by Mueller. And they impeached me. Can you believe it? Impeached me.
Well guess what folks. They can't stop me, and more importantly, they can't stop YOU! We will win again because we have made this country great and we will make it greater!"

It would be a badge of honor. I could see him wearing an "I was impeached" pin if he could.

So in the end. There may well be investigations that could lead to much more trouble for the president. If nothing less, even more things referred to State AG's, that will end up ruining Trump's life, the day he steps out of the White House.
And more importantly - Dem candidates focus on Healthcare, Roe V. Wade, racist immigration policies, infrastructure, environment, and HEALTHCARE AGAIN.
All while being able to say - Donald Trump obstructed justice, his team met with the Russians 160 times. He is a tax cheat, he is under dozens of investigations in the congress and in NY state. We need to start fresh and get done what the people of this country want!!

so, perhaps in the same way that a little law that was passed in 2003 in Massachusetts regarding marriage rights and same-sex couples may have galvanized enough religious voters in SE Ohio to get to the polls and cast a vote for GWB so that he was able to eek out a win in 2004, so could this "extreme" Alabama law galvanize the Democratic base, and women everywhere (especially those suburbs).

let them overreach, and then run 1,000,000 ads about how Mitch McConnell is going to force your freshly raped 16-year old to carry that child to term.

and then watch when Swing Justice Roberts not want to accelerate societal collapse by overturning RvW . and those same voters in SE Ohio get depressed and disillusioned, because literally the only thing that got them to vote for Trump was this moment they've been praying real hard for.

so, perhaps in the same way that a little law that was passed in 2003 in Massachusetts regarding marriage rights and same-sex couples may have galvanized enough religious voters in SE Ohio to get to the polls and cast a vote for GWB so that he was able to eek out a win in 2004, so could this "extreme" Alabama law galvanize the Democratic base, and women everywhere (especially those suburbs).

let them overreach, and then run 1,000,000 ads about how Mitch McConnell is going to force your freshly raped 16-year old to carry that child to term.

and then watch when Swing Justice Roberts not want to accelerate societal collapse by overturning RvW . and those same voters in SE Ohio get depressed and disillusioned, because literally the only thing that got them to vote for Trump was this moment they've been praying real hard for.

Yeah, things are getting interesting. If the trade war gets dragged out, and China plays hardball, that will be big for the general electorate to sour on Trump. Another racist immigration grandstanding BS reform displayed today will turn off moderates and independents, and seeing Alabama, OH, GA, MO, and others all put through legislation to get Roe overturned. Well, damn, if you wanna piss off 95% of women voters, then as Obama said - Please proceed.

It’s not about the senate, it’s about doing the right thing.

Hearings will put more pressure on him and his administration

Get the info out in the public. You can bet that it’ll put pressure on the senate and if they do nothing

That only helps the Dems in 2020 to take all three branches.

This is congress job.

Yeah, things are getting interesting. If the trade war gets dragged out, and China plays hardball, that will be big for the general electorate to sour on Trump. Another racist immigration grandstanding BS reform displayed today will turn off moderates and independents, and seeing Alabama, OH, GA, MO, and others all put through legislation to get Roe overturned. Well, damn, if you wanna piss off 95% of women voters, then as Obama said - Please proceed.

The administration will also want to be real careful about this whispered talk of war with Iran, too. Because if they do put us in yet another Middle East war, everyone who remembers Iraq and how that turned out will only further sour on them, and since that war would no doubt have a negative impact on this "great economy" they love to keep crowing about, that would definitely turn people on them, too. I know there's the idea that they'd want a war to distract people, and voters don't change presidents during wars and whatnot, but I could still see it backfiring if they tried that anyway. I think that would only further mobilize not just Democrats, but moderates/independents, for sure.

This Alabama law is a massive overreach. When Pat Robertson says so you have to go :crack:. It's absolutely, completely the WRONG case to take to the SCOTUS if you want to overturn Roe v Wade. So I hope to God it gets there as soon as possible. Even with the current SCOTUS, this has about zero chances of passing muster.

But those on the left have to be careful. Yes, you should run 1 million ads about McConnell forcing your 14-year-old daughter who was just raped by her music teacher or maybe by your drunken 67-year-old uncle carry a baby to term. But on the other hand we cannot frame any of this as acceptable, save for the rape/incest part. Hard pass. It's all shit, beginning to end.

Elections (with assistance from foreign governments) have consequences

As a highly sensitive person it’s so heartbreaking to read these stories of what could be coming (and we know it is). Wish our elected officials would do their damn jobs versus fear of public opinion

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/05/ro...s-conservatives-will-overturn-landmark-cases/

“Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer on Monday issued what’s being called a “warning siren” Monday, strongly suggesting landmark civil rights cases, perhaps Roe v. Wade, or Planned Parenthood v. Casey, or maybe Brown v. Board of Education are increasingly likely to be overturned by the Trump-reshaped far-right SCOTUS.

“Today’s decision can only cause one to wonder which cases the Court will overrule next,” Breyer wrote in a dissent of a case handed down Monday, overturning decades of Supreme Court precedent.”

:crack:

While i don't have to worry anymore about pregnancy, i am infuriated amd terrified for my younger women relatives, friends and women, especially poor women in general, as I've watched the creeping in various States over past several decades , and now this more aggressive push to disenfranchise more and more women with more and more obstacles and now like a 95%+ ban against women being able to choose when, or if they want children.
Fuck you, Alabama. I think Missouri is the next state for an extreme bill.

And, oh, i'm not sure i heard it correctly as sometimes i'm doing more active stuff around the apt- but thought i barely heard something about Brown vs Board of Education being targeted by Conservatives to get this court reversal if someone figures out a "proper" case for that, as well. :yikes:

Ye1ah, anitram, i heard the Robinson comment. May it'll blow up in their faces and take a good while to regroup.(one can hope)

I get your point. I truly do. I would love for nothing more than the congress to have this beautiful tool to say, look at how awful this guy is, and then send him packing.
But this is complicated and complicated beyond any imagination because of who we are talking about. And now, the fat toad of an AG that is aiding him.

Here's the deal. We all can agree that if he is impeached, he isn't going anywhere. He will not be convicted by the Senate.
Voters actually agree to just keep investigating and not so much jump to impeachment off the bat. Why is this good?

1. Ongoing investigation will be the sort of drip drip of oppo information that chipped away at Clinton with Wikileaks and Comey announcement.

2. Ongoing investigation will highlight the White Houses stonewalling which gives the perception of guilt.

3. Investigations may very well open up a can of worms that will be a kill shot to this orange turd. Looks like McGahn and Mueller are in line to testify. Maybe Lewindowski and then others... The courts seem to be expediting the release of Trumps financial document lawsuit. and I think the Tax Returns are inevitable at this point. Lots to work with in the days to come. All being a new wave of bad news for Trump each week or month.

4. Trump doesn't give 1 shit about impeachment. In fact, he would absolutely LOVE it.
This would be him at every rally.
"Well folks. My real Americans here with me. They did it. They broke every law, and used the FBI and CIA to spy on me, and come up with fake evidence! AFTER I was completely cleared by Mueller. And they impeached me. Can you believe it? Impeached me.
Well guess what folks. They can't stop me, and more importantly, they can't stop YOU! We will win again because we have made this country great and we will make it greater!"

It would be a badge of honor. I could see him wearing an "I was impeached" pin if he could.

So in the end. There may well be investigations that could lead to much more trouble for the president. If nothing less, even more things referred to State AG's, that will end up ruining Trump's life, the day he steps out of the White House.
And more importantly - Dem candidates focus on Healthcare, Roe V. Wade, racist immigration policies, infrastructure, environment, and HEALTHCARE AGAIN.
All while being able to say - Donald Trump obstructed justice, his team met with the Russians 160 times. He is a tax cheat, he is under dozens of investigations in the congress and in NY state. We need to start fresh and get done what the people of this country want!!

I think the Dem candidates should focus on the issues you've mentioned, while The House keeps investigating.

It has been mentioned that re: Watergate it took a while for the facts to seep into the general public's attention. Especially since we now still have to counter trump's and barr's lying spin!

I tend to think unlike Biden that way more Republicans will not return to bipartisanship. There, might be some st at some points not many that might get something good done, hopefully Dems will
keep The House, and get back the Senate and Presidency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom